Frippertronics System on iOS?
  • Surprisingly, no app developer has, as far as I can tell, created a tempo sync'd stereo delay with the capability of supporting long delay times (8, 16, and 32 measures, for example). The closest I've come is VirSyn's Harmony Eight, which is not true stereo and has tons of features I do not need or use. If you know of something I have missed, please let me know. I do not believe in needlessly reinventing the wheel.

I know that Audulus has recently implemented support for ableton link. Does anyone with more experience with Audulus than me think that this kind of system would be possible to implement? If so, could it sit in an AUM effects node?

Thank you, in advance, for your kind assistance.
  • Ableton link is not yet supported, but they are discussing what form it should take. The delay node's usual range is from 0 - 1 second which wouldn't be nearly long enough. I'm not sure what the actual maximum is, but at 120 BPM that's 2 beats/sec so a measure of 4/4 would be 2 seconds and 32 measures would be 64 seconds. This will probably have to wait until Audulus 4 where we're hoping to have sample recording and playback.
  • ~20 sec is safe for the delay node and you can chain them. I really love the Frip and Eno albums of the early 1970's so I would love to contribute.

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 12.30.57 PM.png
    1007 x 712 - 76K
  • That's good to know. Personally, I would like to see the knobs removed from the delay node. I think it should have three I/O connections, in, out and delay in seconds (feedback if it's necessary to avoid a unit delay)
  • @stschoen Also important to note for Karplus-Strong synthesis, the internal feedback loop has a really stable character. When you use an external feedback loop it actually introduces latency on the ms level that throws off octave tracking.

@Fflow I am curious, what kind of stereo were you thinking of with this delay? Just two channels, or some sort of ping pong effect?
  • Hopefully there would be logic to avoid automatically inserting the feedback delay since it really isn't needed. If that's too complex then a knob for feedback would be OK.
  • Well, here is a first sketch in mono. It doesn't seem to tax the CPU very much to have a ton of delay, so I think it's safe to proceed on this model. Modulating the delay doesn't sound so smooth because of all the different buffers, but it should be fine for static delays.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 1.25.54 PM.png
    1824 x 1036 - 381K
    Extra Long Delay.audulus
  • Thanks so much to everyone who responded. The 'stereo' is simply two time-locked delay lines so that, if I pan an instrument to the left, it will repeat in that part of the sound field. If I pan a sound from left to right, with each repetition the panning will repeat until it fades out. Does that help? Feedback should be variable, as I like to get about 20-30 repetitions before something fades out completely. Also, it might be nice to have a low pass filter so that, with each repetition, a bit more of the high end can be shaved off to make room for new material. It would also be necessary to have a mix control so that the balance of dry/wet can be set appropriately. Of course, this could all be set internally. Once it is set, I'd not need to make any further adjustments.

Here is an audio track I recorded quite a few years ago using a Novation Nova, lap steel guitar, and the Boss DD-20 as my looper. (This was edited down from a 5 hour performance.)

http://www.sanderis.com/audio/Craniundulant01.mp3

• I boxed up the delay into a module then I made a copy and put a stereo panner in. There is also a toggle on the feedback loop so you can put another delay or a filter or other effect in the feedback loop.
    Extra Long Delay Stereo Test Bed.audulus
  • I'll download it right now, and let you know how it works.