questions before purchase
  • Hello there,

I've been using an ES8 with Silent Way for a while now but want to ditch my computer for live use. Been looking at Audulus and I have a few questions:

1. what would the specs for my iPad be? I don't own one yet and I'm looking at refurbished ones but don't know which one to buy. Is the chip really important? How heavy is Audulus on cpu? I mainly want to use it for sequences.
    And regarding that:

2. is it possible to exceed the 16 steps limit? Are there patches that are longer? I presume I could write one with a sequential switch but as I said: I'm not familiar with Audulus so i don't know if that would be difficult.

3. Is the computer different from the iOS version?
  • 1. what would the specs for my iPad be? I don't own one yet and I'm looking at refurbished ones but don't know which one to buy. Is the chip really important? How heavy is Audulus on cpu? I mainly want to use it for sequences.
    And regarding that:

The best way to go about purchasing an iPad is always to buy the latest version that you can afford. Audulus is not necessarily heavy on CPU, depending on how you use it, but if you go with an older iPad you're limiting the size and complexity of patch that you can run. If you let us know which models you're thinking about purchasing, I can give you a better idea if those would be a good fit.

2. is it possible to exceed the 16 steps limit? Are there patches that are longer? I presume I could write one with a sequential switch but as I said: I'm not familiar with Audulus so i don't know if that would be difficult.

Ohhhh yes. You mean 16 step sequencer right? You can create (with our help) a sequencer of any length. 1024 steps? Crazy, but doable. A better solution are the chainable sequencers that @stschoen and @robertsyrett have made. They can be linked together and create a sequence of however long you want.

3. Is the computer different from the iOS version?

iOS has a touch-specific interface in its menu system, whereas everything on the computer version can be done with shortcuts and the right click menu. In general, the computer is faster to build on, but some find the iOS version more performance friendly.

Since you're interested in pairing it with your ES-8, if you haven't checked out this guide yet, it's a great place to start to see the potential with the pairing.

https://www.allthesynths.info/t/audulus-expert-sleepers-es-8-digital-analog-hybrid-guide/235
  • Please let me know if you have any follow ups, and welcome to the forum! You can also reach out to me directly at mark@audulus.com

• thanks for the swift reply! Will look into it and definitely get back to you! cheers
  • One more thingalready : would it be possible to connect the ES8 via the lightning port, load a patch in audulus and control that patch via another controller? I have an iconnect midi which sends out ethernet signals. Would be nice to have a couple of knobs/pads from a midi device to control the important/ macro controls of a patch. Is ethernet a feasable connection? Or are there devices which make it possible to connect 2 usb devices to an ipad? Just guessing. Never owned an ipad as i mentioned above.
  • So are you saying can you attach a MIDI controller to Audulus over USB as well as a connection to the ES-8? My instinct says no. The only option would be MIDI over Bluetooth, which for now you'd need to do using an intermediary app. At some point Audulus will support Bluetooth controllers, but not at the moment.

Now, you *could* control stuff in Audulus if you have CV-generating controller and funnel in those voltages through the ES-8's inputs. Like if you have a CV keyboard you want to use, you could use its gate and VPO signal through the ES-8 in Audulus no problem. They would just have to occupy two of your inputs.

Also just FYI ES-8 is expandable with ES-6 (more inputs) and ES-3 (more outputs) if you need them. Audulus only supports 16 channels at the moment, but that will rise in the future, hopefully to an arbitrary number of I/O.
  • I don't have an iConnect (It looks pretty cool BTW) but I think I can answer your question. From reading the iConnect website it looks like you need to use an iConnect helper app (NetMIDI) on the iPad if you want to connect via Ethernet. You would also need to use a wireless hub to connect the iConnect to the iPad. I use a Positive Grid BT-4 pedal which also uses a helper app to send MIDI over Bluetooth and Audulus receives the MIDI just fine. I've done some research and it is possible to connect multiple MIDI devices to an iPad via a powered hub and Camera Connection Kit, but not multiple audio interfaces.
  • Thanks Mark and stschoen! So are you guys saying that it would be possible to connect a midi device over bluetooth to control audulus through an intermediary app and still connect the ES8 via the camera connection kit? That would be fantastic. My major concern was that Audulus could handle midi messages from an external device alongside audio/cv from the ES8.

I was thinking about buying the computer version first, just to check out whether everything works how I want it to work on the computer and maybe save me the cost of buying an iPad if it doesn't. That way I could also use Audulus as standalone with the ES8 and hook up another soundcard for Ableton so I don't have to mess with the whole aggregated device thing. Keep having buffering issues with it.

In that regard: Audulus has 16 channels at the moment, could I use 12 of them for the ES8 and send the other 4 to ableton? Like I said, don't want to hook up two soundcards to Ableton and if I was to use Audulus as a vst that would be the consequence.

Also: is there a bundle price or would I have to buy both version at full price?
  • "So are you guys saying that it would be possible to connect a midi device over bluetooth to control audulus through an intermediary app and still connect the ES8 via the camera connection kit?"

Yes - you just can't expect to have several devices work over USB into iPad.

"In that regard: Audulus has 16 channels at the moment, could I use 12 of them for the ES8 and send the other 4 to ableton?"

No, because the ES-8 reserves 16 outputs for itself so that you can attach an ES-3 to expand it. I/O isn't counted together, so I believe there are fewer inputs (12 with the ES-6) than there are outputs (16 with the ES-3). Once Audulus has arbitrary I/O, you'll be able to send channels around and through to Ableton. As of now, what you have to do is sometimes just loop the audio out of an output and straight back into an input on the ES-8. Then Ableton can recognize the ES-8 and use that audio input that you looped (with a physical patch cable, not a virtual one). You could also go out of the ES-8 and into your second sound card? I can give you more specific advice about the routing if I know a little more about how exactly you're expecting to use the ES-8. Also, keep in mind that the 16 channel limit isn't forever, it's just for right now.

There is no bundle price - if we sold them together, the bundle would cost 19.99+49.99. There's no way to offer a bundle with Windows and iOS, so we thought it'd be unfair to offer some kind of discount for Mac/iOS users only.
  • ok. Thanks for all the advice.

"You could also go out of the ES-8 and into your second sound card?"
    Indeed, my idea also. I have a UFXii. Right now I use the adats to patch through my ES8 but I'd like a "one function per device" setup. Eg an iPad with audulus controlling the ES8, which I will mainly use for sequencing. I want to make a couple of module specific patches for my E352 and basimilus iteritas alter. Both modules come to life with a lot of modulation and I'd like to make two patches and sequence/modulate those two to start with . I'm doing that now with Silent way but I like the immediacy of the Audulus interface more (I think).

I was browsing through the forum and found another idea in one of the threads. I consider buying a Lattepanda or another (windows or linux) minipc, small enough to put in my rack, which will run Audulus. That way I can connect a cheap midi controller to change parameters in the Audulus patch realtime while I'm on stage. Not there completely but it's starting to get some shape :-) (any suggestions always welcome, the smaller the better!)

But just to make sure: Audulus parameters can be controlled by incoming midi data while connected to an ES8 with all the in- and outputs?
  • "Audulus parameters can be controlled by incoming midi data while connected to an ES8 with all the in- and outputs?"

Yes - for example, you could have a MIDI input from another iOS app that was sequencing knobs or something. Or like stschoen said, through a controller using a helper app. Latency should be minimal. You can even create a little MIDI smoother object if that's necessary to smooth out the stepping.
  • Cheers. Guess I'll just download the mac computer version for now and will contemplate more on how I want to use it in a live situation. Thanks for making it a lot more clear to me!
  • I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I have been able to use Audulus with the Korg nanoKEY and Roland A-01 as bluetooth controllers while my iPad Pro (and previously iPad Air 2) was plugged into the ES-8 via the camera connector kit. I had to use Korg gadget in order to successfully connect the controller via bluetooth, but I could then close the gadget app and let Audulus hog all the CPU. I have also connected an elektron digitakt to Audulus through the Roland A-01 so I could run multiple midi channels through Audulus using bluetooth.
  • thanks RobertSyrett! That's a good thing to hear. Sounds like more or less what I had in mind. Glad that works well. Cheers!