Buchla Music Easel clone
  • Has anyone attempted this yet? :) With normalization and all?
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 19.43.33.png
    1724 x 696 - 2M
  • Normalization is something that's coming in Audulus 4! :) We could get started on it though! I just saw the new Arturia one released, looks awesome.
  • Basically it's a 5-step sequencer, clock, random cv, dual complex oscillator (linear FM and wavefolder), low pass gate, and spring reverb. All of these things can be done quite adequately in Audulus.

My experience with past attempts to recreate whole modules or synths is that it never quite makes sense to include all the features, as it just eats CPU without really adding anything. Give me a minute and I can make a bundle of components though.
  • @biminiroad Right, remember you said so. Man, so excited about the new features.
    @RobertSyrett yea, i totally get what youre saying. Its more about aesthetics/feel and gimmick perhaps more than what makes sense in Audulus as a platform/paradigm. I did this just now for fun (shell, no components inside) to see what it would look like. Some svg's and Arturia got themselves a competitor :P
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 22.07.49.png
    2032 x 854 - 266K
  • Here's a basic configuration of an easel with pre-made parts. In fact, this patch is more flexible than an easel as parts can be replicated and expanded upon with the only limitation being CPU and your specific design. Now there will inevitably be nuanced divergences like the tone of the reverb or the type of waveshaping in the timbral oscillator, but it will work for making music close in character.
    Almost an Easel.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 1.13.50 PM.png
    985 x 575 - 153K
  • Woah cross post! Well now you have some ingredients to put into your patch. Here is a demo video so you can see what those visual elements correspond to. I had to play with a music easel before I knew what the holy hell the white and purple jacks were all about.
  • Ha! I’ve had an Audulus Easel on my mind for ages, and was just thinking about it today after seeing the Synthtopia post. @RobertSyrett I completely agree with your component/modular approach in the Audulus context.

Here’s the manual: https://buchla.com/guides/Music-Easel-Operation-Manual-2nd-Ed.pdf

( See also: https://rudigermeyer.com/notes/2017-09-20-22-42-47 )