Has anyone created a MakeNoise wogglebug clone or anything like it?
  • Has anyone created a MakeNoise wogglebug clone or anything like it?
  • Seems like it should be straightforward to recreate, with the exception of normalized elements.
    http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/wogglebugmanual.pdf
  • my audulus programming is still very limited, if you give it a go please send me the file. Btw love all your designs @robertsyrett !

• Apparently there are many different versions of the wogglebug.
  • @trickyflemming Do you know the internal workings of the wogglebug circuit?
  • Here is a circuit diagram of the Wiard 300 series wogglebug. Hopefully someone here can help me make sense of it.

source:https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145344&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75&sid=9b00abb7f667fd5d12740628fed0f22b
    Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 10.13.38 PM.png
    1319 x 1047 - 268K

Well here is something like a sketch. At this point it's basically exquisite corpse of the wogglebug for a couple reasons. The first is the technical info I have available is difficult to decipher or translate. Another would be the descriptions of the functions in the Make N0ise manual are more poetic than anything, so without a physical module to compare with I'm afraid this is all best guesses. Still I had some fun making self-patched noise with it and I maybe other people will too.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot. Half the fun is opening up the module and messing around with some of the internal controls on the oscillators and such.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 8.59.15 AM.png
    246 x 320 - 39K
    Wuzzlebuzz 0.2.1.audulus
  • Here's a more complete circuit diagram I found. The wogglebug uses two CD4046 phase-locked loop ICs each of which has two separate phase comparators and a VCO. The XOR comparator could probably be built in Audulus, but the other is an "edge controlled digital memory network" consisting of multiple flip-flops and gate control circuits. both of the 4046s are driven by a VC LFO and are interconnected in some sort of feedback circuit. I tried to follow the signal path to see if I could figure out what was actually happening but it's all a bit beyond me. I read the Richter operator's manual but it didn't add a lot of clarity.
    DJB Wogglebug schematics.pdf
  • @RobertSyrett - very cool! Love the looks you're coming up with.

One small change: the burst output was peaking above 1 (going to 2 actually) so I added a clamp expression in it to keep the gate signal in the 0-1 range.

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 1.48.31 PM.png
    858 x 628 - 112K
    Wuzzlebuzz 0.2.1.audulus
  • @stschoen Score! Unfortunately I am quite baffled as well. It would be super cool to have a phase-lock loop module for a couple of modules I would like to make.

@biminiroad Good catch! I wonder how that was happening. I appreciate the kind words as well :)
  • Wow. Awesome to see this develop so quickly! Excited to give this a go, thanks everyone! Thanks Robert!