QUADRILLE - An Audulus Composition
  • Quadrille is an Audulus composition for 4 voices, 5 tones, 2 keys and 2 tempi. One full cycle takes about 5 minutes to complete.
    The quadrille was a dance for 4 couples. This is a dance for 4 voices with 2 oscillators each.
    I hope it amuses you.
    Quadrille.audulus
  • I'm having a quick listen at work and your composition is gorgeous. Looking forward to listening in depth and examining the patch when I'm home. Thanks very much for sharing.
  • This is brilliant! More!
  • @JDRaoul, top notch! I like how you used the Seq16 node to control the levels of the 4 voices to create an arrangement. The patch sounds great too!

Now I see what you needed that clock divider. I'll be adding a proper clock divider node :-)
  • Thanks for the compliments. Feedback from the community is welcomed and appreciated.

Taylor, When I open the "settings" sub-patch the value nodes read zero even when I change the values. This on the iPad. Is this expected behavior; is it replicable on your system? This is what I meant about a sub-patch not being "live."

re: clock-divider: There is much to be said for building it yourself.

Seq16 as conductor/automixer: I didn't figure out how to make the parts fade in and out. Maybe next time.

• @JDRaoul, yes I can reproduce that with 1.10. I've fixed the issue in my latest development version, which I should be sending off to Apple for review in the next few days.
  • This is such a great example of art/technology integration, amazing patch, great piece!
    I bet using the Lowpass as Slew generator trick we've been using for portamento you can get the fades.
    In the early days of Audulus (antimatter) there was a doubt that it could ever be used to create such complex structures and some negative reviews spoke to this. Your creative programming demonstrates beyond a doubt the incredible potential of Audulus.
  • Thanks DCramer. Showing the potential of Audulus is one of the goals of the piece.
    My programming is pretty simplistic, kind of creative kludgery. I'm impressed and often mystified by the patches y'all are posting here. Afta8's Slew sub is a perfect example. It baffles me. But yes, it would work as a fade generator.
    (The current version of Quadrille pushes the computing power of my iPad2 to the very limit so I probably won't keep adding modules. I'm trying to resist the urge to keep tinkering and move on.)
  • Very cool patch, I'm having fun unpicking this one :)

Haha, it took me a while to really understand why the slew patch works, even after I had built it!

Its really just taking advantage of a low pass filter at high settings so you need to understand how a low pass filter works. This link helped me understand that: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filters/Definition_Simplest_Low_Pass.html
  • Ha ha. That link is pretty much opaque to me.
    Here's what I know: when you plug numbers into the alpha of the low pass that are almost 1 it responds in that peculiar way -- counting up to the input value. The closer to 1, the longer it takes. I don't think I am capable of grasping the explanation for this behavior.
    It is a very useful trick and one that I've been racking my brain to accomplish: a very simple delay. Any notion of how the delay time might be calculated?
    By the way, Afta8, your toggle patch? As simple as it is, I could not have figured that out on my own. Very elegant. In fact, your patchwork in general is a real eye-opener and mind bender for me so, thanks.
  • Thanks, I'm glad you find my sub patches useful :) Have to say I'm still learning though, I didn't know any of this a few months ago!

Here's what I understand about why the low pass filter behaves like that, the filter is in effect smoothing the waveform so if you look at the wave form as you close the filter on a square wave (i.e. bring it closer to 1) it starts to resemble a triangle wave.

So now imagine a square wave as a recorded sample, say this is represented by a set of values that switch from 0 to 1 at different sample positions. Say sample positions 0-5 are at 0, and sample positions 6-10 are at 1. Without a fiter applied the sample value will change from 0 to 1 as you go from sample position 5 to 6. Now say if a low pass filter is applied at 50% this transition will be smoothed so the sample value at position 6 will be 0.5 instead of 1. The sample value at position 7 will be 0.75, the sample position at 8 will 0.875 and so on.

If more of the filter is applied then this transition from 0 to 1 is smoothed more and hence it takes longer to reach 1. This is why you can use the filter to smooth out changes between two values.

Not sure if that makes complete sense and it would probably be easier to explain with pictures. If doesn't then just use it and trust that its not voodoo magic that is making it work. It will make sense once you get your head around it :)

You probably could work out how long it takes but you would need to know how the filter is designed and then get down with some serious maths to work it out, maybe @Taylor can help with this one?

Its not the same thing but I did make a fade in sub patch where you can set the time it takes to fade a signal in, or you could use the ADSR node.
  • I understood that for a nanosecond. I will find a way to create a useful kludge from this effect but it probably won't be pretty or elegant...
    One thing I find uniquely useful is that the output effect continues - albeit in reverse - after the input falls back to zero.
  • Just wanted to say that this patch is really fabulous! I've spent a good pile of time studying the construction while listening to the beauty. Very enjoyable! Thank you for sharing it.
  • Glad you like it! Nothing soothes like the harmonic tranquility of pentatonics.
    In the (not quite) 2 months since I posted Quadrille, Audulus 2.0 has rendered some parts of it quaint and archaic. I've also learned a lot since then (the funnest aspect of Audulus) and if I rebuilt the patch, I bet I could get it to run much more economically.
    Feel free to ask questions. I like discussing this stuff.
  • @JDRaoul - This is fantastic. just got lost for 30 minutes listening and playing with this and that. Thank you for sharing!
  • Updated to conform to new FeedbackDelay guidelines.
    (This was my first Audulus "piece" from almost 2 years ago. What a weird way of doing things!)
    Quadrille.audulus

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!