New User Guide: Workflow on different devices, Eurorack controlling setup
  • Hey guys!

I'm Experiment1, proud owner of a small eurorack located in Germany, and this is my first post in this forum.
    I've run the search in this forum hot, but unfortunately it could not answer all of my questions.
    Currently I did not bought any license for Audulus. I may choose the needed license according to the workflow (there aren't any crossplatform license or subscription models, right?).

So... I'm interested to use Audulus as a performing instrument as well as programming my own controller. To get in touch with Audulus I'm planning to recreate some existing sequencer modules like Intellijel metropolis or Malekko Voltage Block (though I've already found some programs for the Metropolis in this forum, so maybe it's already finished).

Currently I have access to an iPad air 2, an iPad Pro 12.9 and some Windows PCs (no Mac).

My questions to the workflow:

1 On which device is programming in Audulus the fastest? Can a finger beat mouse and keyboard?

2 Is performing on a Windows touch device as easy as on an iOs tablet?

3 Are there any other advantages of an iPad Pro 12.9, except the bigger display to show more stuff at once? Are there maybe known performance issues with complex patches on iOs on older devices?

My questions to controlling an Eurorack:
    4 Is an Expert Sleepers ES-8 currently the most reliable way to connect to an eurorack? I assume it's the easiest and most compact way to connect an iPad (with camera connection kit) to eurorack? Is somebody here, who doesn't use an ES-8 but also has a I/Os alike?

5 What about latency? I'm planning to sync my device to a CV-clock signal, which is generated by my DAW via sync-gen IIls. Is there a noticeable latency when an iPad gets the clock trigger and spits out the CV, especially on larger programs?

6 Should I even run Audulus on the same PC as my DAW (but frankly, in not very keen on a ressource battle between DAW+plugins and Audulus, although they're working on an current xeon-cpu) to minimize latency?

7 Can you switch through different layers of UI so that you can change the way how you operate the cv-signals or do you have to reload different UI elements in different programs (for example: in one view the patterns are horizontically and in another UI-layer they're grouped up vertically)? Can you supress the visibility of some objects through layers or something alike (like different UI in reaktor)?
    On some videos the programs look very scary and chaotic. Sure, the programmer knows where everything is, but a good UIX imho the most important thing, if somebody should use your stuff.

Thanks in advance for your advices and I hope for a good cooperation. :)

• "I may choose the needed license according to the workflow (there aren't any crossplatform license or subscription models, right?)."

There aren't, but the iOS license allows you to put Audulus on your iPhone and iPad.

"1 On which device is programming in Audulus the fastest? Can a finger beat mouse and keyboard?"

Without a doubt computer. Copy/paste shortcuts alone make it worthwhile, but you can also wire things together faster because you can be zoomed out farther and be more precise with a mouse. iOS is great for portability/playability, but computer will always be faster for building.

"2 Is performing on a Windows touch device as easy as on an iOs tablet?"

Not really - Windows is not touch-optimized like the iOS is. You'd basically be using your finger like a mouse pointer. I've never used a touch Windows device myself, but some other people on the forum here have them and can maybe speak more to how it works for them.

"3 Are there any other advantages of an iPad Pro 12.9, except the bigger display to show more stuff at once? Are there maybe known performance issues with complex patches on iOs on older devices?"

If you buy an iOS license, you can put it on your Pro and your Air. Each device (including computers of course) have an upper limit to the CPU usage they can handle. Patches usually start crackling from dropped samples in the high 70%s of CPU time used. That said, Audulus is very optimized and has a lot of room to be even more optimized. Some patches in the past that people complained about not being able to use on their iPhones and older iPads will actually be useable in the future when Taylor optimizes how control signals and visual elements work.

"4 Is an Expert Sleepers ES-8 currently the most reliable way to connect to an eurorack? I assume it's the easiest and most compact way to connect an iPad (with camera connection kit) to eurorack? Is somebody here, who doesn't use an ES-8 but also has a I/Os alike?"

To my knowledge, the ES-8 is the only DC-coupled interface out there that has a swing of +/- 10v. Most others go up to a max of 5-8v. I don't know about iOS connectivity for other interfaces, but you definitely can just plug 'n' play with the ES-8, and it's why it's basically our "sponsored" Audulus-friendly module.

"5 What about latency? I'm planning to sync my device to a CV-clock signal, which is generated by my DAW via sync-gen IIls. Is there a noticeable latency when an iPad gets the clock trigger and spits out the CV, especially on larger programs?"

Latency is fixed and does not increase with the size of the patch. I've done several patches where things go in and out of Audulus and it's unnoticeable for most applications. That said, you can adjust for latency with internal delays. If you run into a problem with this, post about it and we can help you solve it, but so far no one's seen this as an issue.

"6 Should I even run Audulus on the same PC as my DAW (but frankly, in not very keen on a ressource battle between DAW+plugins and Audulus, although they're working on an current xeon-cpu) to minimize latency?"

Not sure what you're imagining building with Audulus, or how many and what kind of plugins you're using with your DAW, but Audulus is relatively CPU-light for what it does, and many people run it on their PC alone. That said, you'll be able in the future to sync with Ableton Link over iOS.

"7 Can you switch through different layers of UI so that you can change the way how you operate the cv-signals or do you have to reload different UI elements in different programs (for example: in one view the patterns are horizontically and in another UI-layer they're grouped up vertically)? Can you supress the visibility of some objects through layers or something alike (like different UI in reaktor)?
    On some videos the programs look very scary and chaotic. Sure, the programmer knows where everything is, but a good UIX imho the most important thing, if somebody should use your stuff."

The system we use is analogous to real electronics - you can create a UI for a module and stuff all the "electronics" inside. You can look at this video and see what happens when I dive into the sequencer to see what I mean.

https://youtu.be/CikpkeR0JvY?t=1m52s

When it says "Let's take a look inside the sequencer," I double click on a blank space of the module's UI and "enter" it. You can have as many of these layers, or patches-in-patches, as you want. One time I went down 500 layers and got bored. Even the most complex patches might use 5-6 layers at most.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)
  • Hey biminiroad,

thanks for your answers, you really helped me on my topics! :)

Good to know that Audulus engine is very lightweight. I guess I start on work your examples / documentation on my Windows notebook.
    I'm used to that kind of 'node-programming' (actually don't know how it's called) thanks to sw like labview, SimX, s7 and whatnot...
    I've seen so many ...and forgot even more.

To 4: According to the connectivity of iOS devices to audiointerface: I've read that you're interface has to be 'USB 2.0 Class Compliant'.

8: On how much Windows devices am I allowed to use Audulus per buy?

Unfortunately I cannot find your ToS on your side. I'm so used to German sites where the ToS are only 1, maximum 2 clicks away ('cause you have to by law).

9: What's your advice on starting?

Like I said, I'm planning to get in touch by programming sequcencers and alike
    I guess I start by getting a ES-8 - there must be a shop in Europe who has some in stock...

10: I've read that you're using / planning to use multiple ES-8... do you aggregate them on another interface?

Sorry if you've already answered some of the questions, I was kinda sloppy with my search in your kb this time. :x
    Thank you. :)
  • "I'm used to that kind of 'node-programming' (actually don't know how it's called)"

It's usually referred to as node-based visual programming.

"8: On how much Windows devices am I allowed to use Audulus per buy? "

I'm not sure how it works per license, but as long as you don't expect to put it on 10+ machines, I'll hook you up with another free copy if you end up needing one.

"9: What's your advice on starting?"

Start here in the forum, check out the tutorials, and ask questions. When you run into a wall, try putting Audulus aside for a second and do something else and just daydream about the solution. What I enjoy most myself about Audulus is the sense of discovery, like you're working a puzzle out. But of course don't feel like you have to do this if you just want to get to work.

http://forum.audulus.com/categories/tutorials

"10: I've read that you're using / planning to use multiple ES-8... do you aggregate them on another interface?"

Supposedly you can use the expanders they sell to get more I/O, so I'll probably just do that. But yes, you can aggregate devices together. However, right now Audulus is limited to 16 I/O, which the ES-8 uses all of (the outputs at least - 8 are hidden). In the future you'll be able to make aggregate devices and have as many I/O as you want.

And don't worry, for some reason the search function on this forum isn't so great, so I'm not surprised you can't find what you're looking for. I think that'll be fixed in an eventual forum update.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them! :)
  • Willkommen
  • Hey,

to break my period of silence I've got some feedback on my first impressions:

Not so long ago I've got my necessary equipment - picked up an ES8, which seems to be kinda rare in the EU, a lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and some additional VCAs (you can never have enough).
    In the meantime I've read some of the fragmentary docs and watched some videos and played around with audulus, used the "tutorials" and dl the forum patches in my OneDrive to open them easily in Audulus.

So here we go:
    1. Loading patches: It took me some time to wrap my head around the fact, that I have to copy the "insides" of the downloaded patch and paste them into a new patch to get them displayed on the front page of A3. That's at least my solution to this behavior.
    2. No multitouch... seriousliy? That's something I've expected to be a 100% feature on iOS. Am I performing with 1 finger and the other 9 are noodling around ? I've read that you will be update this in Audulus 4... does that mean, I have to upgrade and pay again?
    3. I'm experiencing not the best performance on my W10-notebook. CPU-Usage seems to be kinda high for the small things that it is doing... 3 times the Metropolis from Robert Syrett get's me to a whooping 110% CPU Usage (on the ipad pro 2016 it is 6 times for 100%) :'D. I guess I have to find simpler benefit of the ES8 eight outputs'.
    And Audulus sucks so hard on the battery, I'm glad I bought the new Adapter where I can connect the powercord alongside the USB-Output.
    4. The interface: Sure it looks kinda cool... but what about more colors to differentiate everything (for example a simple rectangle to underlay a group)
    5. Function search: I work with so many databases... I paste my query and get an output, I need this here also. Also: So many common programs (for example modern CAD-Programs) have a function search: Press F2 and perform your query, get your function (found by name or tags) and use it. Manually searching through folders is so inefficient. I've
    6. I've experienced, that I'm adjusting the the canvas a little bit to often. What about snapshots, which focus and zooms in the canvas on a predefined spot?

That said:
    I'm willing to use and work with Audulus, but imho it needs to make big steps to functionally adjust the UIX.

Lets take a look in the (my) future:
    I've got 16 outs of Audulus to control many parameters in my ER. Different patches are used like presets for different songs. To perform fast and efficient, I push the Snapshot-Button for the Drums, adjust them, then press the sequencer-snapshot and modify the lead and press the next snapshot to get to the mixer section. Everything as fast and accessible as the Eurorack. :)

But for now: 40 % cool - progamming :) 60% Meh - performance :(.

Cheers.

PS: The illuminated jacks from the ES8 are kinda loose, I'm quite disappointed by it. :( Too bad that you only google the problem after you've experienced it. Is there a common solution to this problem?
  • Thanks for the feedback about the cpu usage of the molecule sequencer. I will try and revise it so it has a smaller cpu footprint.

Also, this isn't new, per se, but you can add rectangles to visually separate the visual elements of a module as well as any other graphical element using the svg utility on the desktop version. You might contact @biminiroad or @taylor about getting a complimentary download code for the desktop version.

That's a good tip about the new camera adaptor, I had noticed that audulus does draw down the battery power pretty quickly.

Attached are some simpler sequencers that you can use lots of to make non-repeating patterns. I like to combine them with the euclidean sequencer module and a quantizer to bring them back to something more melodic.

32_Step_Seq.audulus
    Citrus Seq.audulus
  • Hey guys,

I've been working on my first program. Unfortunately I cannot open it, after I've saved it yesterday (neither on W10 nor iOS). I was so thrilled to work out my new ideas... :(

Can you please help me?

Opening other audulus files doesn't have this problem.

Thank you. :)
    EX1-Metro.audulus
    1M
  • @Experiment1 - are you up to date with the latest Audulus version? This used to happen because of a bug that Taylor has since fixed.

Did you make it on iOS and have iCloud turned on?
  • @biminiroad the Audulus 3.exe \program files\Audulus 3 says Last time changed: 23.10.2016. It is the file I downloaded from the email-Link which you've got after your purchase.
    Or is there a help or about anywhere in Audulus?

Should I expect my work to be irrecoverable?
  • The last time you opened it and edited it - what device were you using? Also, what version of iOS Audulus are you running? If you go to the app store, does it say that there's an update available for it?
  • The last time was my Windows device. iOS is up to date.
  • Ok - I'll show this to Taylor and we'll get to the bottom of it :)
  • Nvm I think I've repaired it by myself...
    at least I can open it now, will have to check if everything's there.
    Guess the undo stack didn't built up.

Will this happen again?
    What could cause this kind of problems? Does the saving procedure take some time? Should I wait before I close?
  • can you upload the fixed file?
  • There you go.
    fixed.audulus
    1M
  • what did you do to fix it?
  • Before:
    {
    "id": "499f03e3-2be9-4d6c-a80d-96216f6581cb",
    "parent": "be078623-bde5-4365-bbd8-57a620aa1c45",
    "undo": {
    "type": "SetKnobValue",
    "node": "cb88ac12-4497-4f85-a340-0f529c552942",
    "knob": 9,
    "value":

After:
    {
    "id": "499f03e3-2be9-4d6c-a80d-96216f6581cb",
    "parent": "be078623-bde5-4365-bbd8-57a620aa1c45",
    "undo": {
    "type": "SetKnobValue",
    "node": "cb88ac12-4497-4f85-a340-0f529c552942",
    "knob": 9,
    "value": <!repaired from here>1.0
    }
    }
    ],
    "current": "5bc8ce63-e441-4a5f-8432-a2fadd4746af"
    },
    "undoStack": {
    "stack": [
    ],
    "current": 1
    }
    }

Like I said, I'm not sure if something's missing, but at least I can continue.
  • Cool thanks, that's good to know! Maybe it points out a bug or something, Taylor will have a look at this later.
  • @biminiroad - i tested it and i cant open it aswell.. its just blank space... thats the first time that i see this myself.. if i remember right the problem you talking about were mainly on ios or am i wrong? cause windows users didnt get an update since this bug appeared
    i have the same version like @Experiment1 (windows version)
  • @Phal_anx - he fixed it, did you see that? It was a missing knob value in the code.

The bug was tracked down as having to do something with the way iCloud was working. This might be a different thing - Taylor will figure it out.
  • @biminiroad - i saw it after i finished writing haha... all good ;)
  • Well... I can maybe open it - but sadly I cannot save it. I'm creating a massive dump (236mb).
    It was not only a missing knob value, the whole program wasn't proper ended.
    I've added everything below <!repaired from here>.

But I can copy everything inside and paste it in a new program and save it there. Solved! :)