1/8 inch headphone jack as audio input
  • iPad Pro and auxiliary makes the iPad a more formidable tool in sound creation. By far one of my most noteworthy purchases in the way of music apps. I understand that using the IOS version coupled with ONLY the Expert Sleepers ES-8 and the Universal Audio Apollo D.C. Audio interfaces. Will there ever be a feature that will allow for the headphone jack to be used as an audio input, with the ability to control the routing of the output (iPad speakers, audio interface).

This feature would allow for the iOS app to functionally change any iOS device into a portable audio interface with the quality of direct in audio.
  • The mic input that is part of the headphone jack can be used as an audio input if you desire and will work fine with Audulus, however the mic/headphone jack is optimized for speech and is not really a very good method of I/O. In addition, the mic jack input impedance is not well suited to an instrument pickup. For my iPad I am currently using a Focusrite iTrack to feed Audulus as well as my other iPad music apps and the headphone jack for output. I have also used an iRig digital and a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. With the addition of the new ADC and DAC node, you should be able to use most iPad compatible audio interfaces
  • I should be very specific in saying that I'm wishing to play my Casio sk 100 direct in not something like a guitar ! I have a stienberg UR 44 that I use with my MacBook. I have not yet tried using this with Audulus!
  • Stschoen thank you for telling me about your setup. I feel that I should be able to do something different comparable if your using a focusrite with no issues. On the site it only mentions "Expert Sleepers ES-8 and the Universal Audio Apollo" as viable means of external interfaces that Audulus will recognize. Looking forward to checking this out!
  • I've not had a problem with either of my Focusrite interfaces. The iTrack is only 2in and no out but using the ADC node I can capture both channels. I haven't tested all of the I/O from the 6i6 (usually connected to my mac), but I would expect no problems using all the channels.
  • Honestly the user get out of my iPad. A camera connection kit and Audulus rivals that of my setup with an actual computer. One of my favorite Pro apps. Been experimenting with interapp audio and a number of apps. KORG gadget. Samplr and notation launchpad to name a few. Samplr and korg gadget especially because they allow for very fluid connectivity of both midi and physical instruments. How is anybody else utilizing interapp audio and Audulus. Should this be a different discussion?
  • "How is anybody else utilizing interapp audio and Audulus. Should this be a different discussion?"

No, but this is a topic I'm going to be doing a Livestream about this Thursday 6pm EST! Showing off Audiobus and whatnot.
  • i recently purchase a Tascam iXZ audio interface that connects through the headphone jack, is it suitable to use as an audio input for audulus ?
  • @eskro - I don't see why not? There's nothing special about the way Audulus receives audio. If it works with other apps, it will work with Audulus.

I wouldn't, however, use that interface to draw in modular level signals as it may fry your interface and/or your headphone jack.
  • "On the site it only mentions "Expert Sleepers ES-8 and the Universal Audio Apollo" as viable means of external interfaces that Audulus will recognize."

@infinitebreakfast

That's not what I meant by that actually - the ES-8 and Apollo are DC-coupled audio interfaces, which allows Audulus to send and receive DC offset signals. You can't do this with the headphone jack of the iPad (which is AC-coupled, and thus suitable only for audio), and I wouldn't suggest getting modular level signals anywhere near your iPad without an ES-8 in between them (I fried my headphone output this way).

DC coupled means there is no filtering and AC coupled means frequencies below ~20Hz are filtered out.
  • thank you for the detailed s'planation! always much appreciated!