Fader Node - need your input!
  • Taylor and I have been talking about adding a new node - a fader. This would make doing things like graphic EQs and even step sequencers a lot more fun than just using knobs. Not to mention mixers, of course!

We need help conceiving the node though. We want it to be modulatable like the knob, but it's got to be done in a) a way that's simple and looks good and b) a way that's easy to implement.

Attached below is my idea - you pull a wire over to the fader field and "drop" it, and an input appears at the bottom or side of the fader. The output of the fader node would be hidden, just like Knob node inside a subpatch.

What do y'all think? Please ignore the phallic nature of the node haha maybe that's unavoidable but open to suggestions if you have them. They won't look phallic when exposed to the subpatch.

Fader Option.png
    800 x 800 - 107K
  • What a coincidence. I just posted a very crude emulation of a fader built from triggers. I was hoping to make a sliding control, but ran into a limitation on the way triggers work. I would love to see something like this. Instead of a "knob" moving in a track, how about something that looks like the current meter node, just a red bar that responds to touch.
  • @stschoen - That's a nice idea, but part of the visual cue of a fader is where it is relative to where it can go - if you can't see where the maximum point is, you lose some info. If it were outlined? Perhaps - but the other thing that I personally think is nice about the skuemorphic "slider cap" is that it's immediately recognizable as something you can interact with. What do you think?
  • I was thinking of a bar that was bright red on the low side and a darker red at the top so that the range would be visible, but you have a good point about the "slider cap". It would definitely provide a better visual cue that it can be manipulated. I even thought about combining the meter and fader into one control but realized that it could be somewhat confusing.
  • @stschoen - well you just gave me the idea that the fader's track should maybe change colors like the wires do to indicate signal strength? That might be cool.
  • Do you see the fader as an analog to the level node or the knob? I think it would be useful either way and relatively easy to use for either purpose. I'm just curious.
  • @stschoen

"Do you see the fader as an analog to the level node or the knob?"

It would work like a Knob node (it would actually use the same code underneath, just skinned differently), and you could of course attach the fader to a level node (or a multiply node) to act as a volume control. But it would essentially be a Knob in a different package.
  • If that's the case, it would be useful to animate the "slider cap" or whatever position indicator you devise so that it responds to the modulation input if one is present. I always thought it would be nice if the knob displayed the "position" when you were modulating it.
  • +1 for the fader node!
    also it would be nice to be able to rotate it or have 2 different ones
    (horizontal, vertical).

• @stschoen - that's the idea

@Phal_anx - yep, you see the pic up at top? The node would have an option in the tap menu to rotate it.
  • It should certainly be resizable, at least in length.
  • @skymakai - that's definitely doable, but I think we'd probably do it in some update where all UI elements are resizeable - knobs, buttons, lights etc. To keep it simple for now it would be a fixed size.
  • BTW it's "resizeable" in the sense that you can zoom in farther for a "larger" slider haha but I get what you mean.
  • +1 for sliders.

@biminiroad If you can rotate the slider, it would be REALLY nice to rotate the meter node as well for display parody. Also, where do the labels play into this?
  • This is kind of what I had in mind. It shows a modulation input attached. The frame and output would not be exposed.
    Slider.png
    554 x 975 - 12K
  • @stschoen, that is a very MAX for live style of slider. I am guessing elegant teal and magenta will be the order of the day.
  • The colors should match the other elements of course. Quick and dirty job in Illustrator.
  • @stshoen - nice! I think the idea Taylor and I talked about for the fader is that the input appears when you attach something to the fader, and the wire will automatically snap down to that input that's created. Does that make sense?

The problem is the input can't attach to the slider cap, cause especially fast modulations would just look weird with the wire flying all over the place, but I think it also can't just attach anywhere cause that would complicate the code. Maybe the "input" thing would just be a black circle at the bottom of the meter like the black circle that goes at the center of the knobs when they're modulated?

@RobertSyrett - I think rotation would be great for a lot of UI nodes. It would be great to have the meter node rotateable by 90 degrees in 4 positions. If it's upside down from where it is now, it would be a better gain reduction meter, and you could do lots of stuff with left/right orientation. Perhaps when Taylor implements the rotation code for the fader, he can add that to the meter as well.
  • The input is not attached to the cap, it's attached to a rectangle surrounding the slider bar. You might have to enlarge the image a bit to see. I thought if you attached the modulation input as a rectangle surrounding the slider, you wouldn't need to allocate space for an input circle, but it would still be clear that the modulation input is attached to the slider. Minimizing the width of the element would make arrays like a graphic equalizer more compact. I chose the left side center for the input lead, but you could also use the bottom.
  • Good to see the fader node coming.

- the knob and fader should be the same node (choice available in the settings). Input and output should work the same way. That way you could change the design of your patch without rewiring everything.
    - resizable and with a rotate option
    - both should feature a better scale (color, marks?)

Cheers
  • For @RobertSyrett, here's a rendering of what I had in mind that's closer to the correct colors. Left is the control, right is the exposed view with a modulation input attached. I would agree with SansNom that it would be nice if the knob and slider were the same node, but I'm not sure how practical that would be from a coding point of view since they would not be the same sizes.
    Fader 2.png
    484 x 598 - 9K
  • @stschoen - very nice! That's really helpful to see the coloration.

@sansnom - Taylor and I talked about knob and fader being the same, but our concern is the discoverability. The rewiring challenge if you want to change them can be easily solved with a via tab. I always put a via tab inbetween a node and a bunch of inputs in case I want to change the way that input acts (like combining a knob and an input after the fact). We're definitely going to have the rotate option, and I think it actually would be great if maybe there was a view that was selectable that's "minimal" (no lines/indicators) and "info" with the indicators. It would be especially useful for the knobs, but you can also use dashes to represent scales, too.
  • Here's the final design I came up with. Kind of a cross between my first shot and your sketch
    Fader Design.png
    541 x 406 - 15K
    Fader Design.audulus
  • That looks very reasonably proportioned.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!