Expert Sleepers ES-8 Audulus Eurorack Modules
  • This is where you can post your modules that make use of the ES-8!

Module design rules:

1) Must use all inputs (4) and outputs (8) of the Expert Sleepers ES-8.
    2) Put a priority on modular-only control - that is, no need to use or look at the touch screen, if possible. Pretend the ES-8 is just a module without knobs.

Hints: You can use any DC offset generator as an analog knob for your module. Think outside of knobs - use ribbon controllers or other CV generators as your "interface."

All patches posted will be collected here on the top post in a .zip file (once available).
  • Octature LFO with phase differential control and automatic CV mapping (in progress).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVC1pxDAkai/
  • I would like to take umbridge with both the design criteria!

1) I find that there is no need to take up all the slots. In a given patch, you will want to make the most of your es-8 and that means using the slots for what the variety of things the match needs. An envelope here, a pitch quantizer there, a drum machine over here, and lagomorph reverb for the whole mix. But they do need to be tailored to work with standard CV.

2) You have to buy DC offsets, I think it's perfectly acceptable to use the Audulus interface. Using the iPad isn't onerous at all, and if you have a midi controller with knobs you can keep those inputs available for signals.

But yeah, in general I think this is a great initiative :)
  • @RobertSyrett

1) The extra slots can be treated as buffered mults, an extra VCA, or whatever you want - just don't leave them unused. Sure, have a stereo reverb patch with 2 in 2 out, but then use the other 2 for CVs or LFOs or envelopes or whatever. There's no reason to leave them unused is what I mean, and it's all about packing maximum functionality into the module.

2) You can make them dual use where you *can* use the interface if you want, but make it so they don't have to if they don't want to.
  • @RobertSyrett - also, the DATA module has 4 DC offsets and with the auto mapping it works beautifully - you'll see. You have one of those don't ya?
  • If you had to suggest some modules i might sell to make room for the DATA, what would they be?
  • @robertsyrett - whats ur current rack?
  • @robertsyrett LPG, 4hp blind, and the in/out seem like they could take a backseat to DATA - DATA can also generate LFOs and master clocks too, and will eventually be a quantizer and some other cool stuff I think (firmware updates).
  • @robertsyrett - btw, you could use a static voltage from the DATA fed through your trim and have at least 3 knobs available at once (2 from Trim, 1 on DATA) that could be high-res Audulus knobs.
  • Here's my first take on a VCO. There are still pitch tracking issues, so I built in a chromatic quantizer as a half measure while I ponder how to best address the problem.

This is basically an array of all my favorite wave-shaping techniques that I have seen in eurorack modules. I would LOVE to see the shape parameter swept on the DATA oscilloscope. Some shapes work better as an LFO so there is a toggle which reduces the rate by Hz/1000 and makes the signal unipolar.

There is a built-in VCA with signal rectification for convenience.

Please give feedback for improvements.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 4.52.40 AM.png
    986 x 722 - 148K
    RHS WAVE BANK.audulus
  • I was looking at the Evaton Technologies CLX module and though it might be a good fit for this design challenge. So I made a simple module that is basically two clocks whose outputs are run through an array of logic parameters. This should be useful for creating phasing poly rhythms and all the things that the original was useful for.

The modulation inputs are doubled because most of my LFO's are +/- 5 or 8 volts and obviously you won't be sweeping the full range of the parameters if that is the case. Similarly the outputs are halved since a 5v gate is sufficient if not preferable for most of my modules. Incoming CV is added to the knob position.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 6.20.29 PM.png
    416 x 331 - 58K
    RHS DUAL LOGIC CLOCK.audulus
  • Here's the Octature LFO - it also works in Audulus (example patch attached, sound sample below).

To use the inputs of the Octature LFO, connect the 1-4 outputs to their respective knobs. This will send voltages coming from inputs 1-4 to these parameters. The parameters will auto-scale to the range of voltage you're using.

https://soundcloud.com/audulus/es-8-octature-lfo-demo

In this example, there are 8 filters, each being modulated by one of the LFOs. It mostly sounds like a panning effect in this application, but you could have different filters, or different sounds going into each filter, too.

knobs:

Hz - range is .01Hz-10hz (adjustable internally).
    Ø - phase differential - this adjust the amount of difference in phase between each LFO from 0 to 22.5 degrees.
    -/+ - attenuverter - can reverse the perceived stereo direction of a sweep.
    fold - wavefolding amount (only turned on when button i/o is pressed, as it limits the LFO from attaining its full -10 to +10v sweep.

buttons:

CV - resets the auto-ranging CV controls (only applies in ES-8 mode when the knobs are controlled by external CVs)
    i/o - turns on wavefolding
    ES8 - turns on ES-8 mode - leave this off if you want to just use the module in Audulus.
    A/DC - switches between AC and DC in ES-8 mode.

NOTE: If you connect to 8 speakers and put them around you in a circle, you will perceive the sound of the example patch to be swirling around you!
    ES-8 Octature LFO.audulus
    Octature LFO Example.audulus
    1M
  • Ah, I think I understand the design challenge a little more. You want the adc/dac nodes EMBEDDED in the module. That's a pretty interesting idea.
  • @RobertSyrett - yeah, the idea being you could hook up your iPhone to your ES-8, set it aside, and just pretend the ES-8 *IS* that module.
  • Expert Sleepers is going to a conference in 2 weeks and wants cool Audulus patches to take along - here's the rig that he's using:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/247105

I'm thinking something to trigger the Drum Dokta, something to sequence the synthesizer, some other stuff? Anyway come up with patches and maybe Os will use them at this event!
  • Interesting. @biminiroad this reminds me of your old eurorack from a year ago. I think sequencers and signal processing are probably the best contrast to what is already in Os's travel case.

Proposal, how about adapting @Plurgid's Chord patch to control a bank of disting oscillators, run it back into audulus for some @sansnom filtering and @lagomorph reverb?
  • @RobertSyrett - yeah I've forgone the Distings mostly since Audulus + ES-8 is like a super Disting. And that sounds great!
  • I finally got to see my wavebank modules' waveforms dance
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVibuAiA78f/
  • Man, those Mordax modules are nice.
  • They really are! I wonder what added functionality they will come out with. I think the wave folding and xy oscilloscope are really nice touches.
  • Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge there is no need to take up all the slots. In a given patch, you will want to make the most of your es-8 and that means using the slots for what the variety of things the match needs. An envelope here, a pitch quantizer there, a drum machine over here, and lagomorph reverb for the whole mix.

https://www.7pcb.com/
  • @lulanord - yes, I think we're saying the same thing. It's not that you need to make one envelope that uses all of the inputs and outputs, but it should be one self-contained module and controllable (mostly) from CV inputs so that people who just want to interact with the HW as if it's a standalone module dont have to use the touch screen or computer. My point is its a wasted opportunity to make a patch that doesnt use all of its I/O.
  • @lulanord welcome btw! :)
  • ES-8s are back in stock, just ordered mine today!
  • :D Now he needs to make more disting mk 4.
  • @robertsyrett - there are more out right now!
  • I would like to amend that, he needs to make more at a point in time when I can buy one!
  • Are disting mk4 modules worth it?
    Honestly, I really dislike modules with a cryptic UI.

When I have these deep modules I always have to rtfm before I can dive in... and if I'm away from my eurorack for like 2 weeks... rtfm again. And this little guy has a 67 pages manual - thats 17 pages per hp!
    This somewhat creates a border or blockade in me and prevents turning on the modular and fiddle around without much thinking to use it after a long workday.

Nevertheless... I've just looked at their specs and - besides their massive library of algorithms - they have at least one very important "function": Save the current state after power off.
  • @experiment1 its definitely worth it. The new ones have a scrolly menu that says what everything is too. I compare it to a swiss army knife - its not great at any one thing it does, but in some cases its more handy than a plain old machete.

You basically end up memorizing the 3-4 things you use it for and never use any of its other functions.
  • @experiment1 I really hated the disting mk3 for exactly the reasons you mentioned. BUT, the screen on the mk4 makes it much easier to navigate and even invites you to try out new algorithms. I will admit that it is usually a VCO, LFO, Delay, Reverb, Dual quantizer, or voltage offset, but there are several flavors of those things and I rarely have to look at the manual beyond remembering which number correlates to what scale.
  • I guess I'll give them a try when they're available at my vendor of choice. I've been watching them for a while now and they were always sold out.

...Wow, yesterday they weren't available, today they're are :'D
    Is that a sign - do I have to buy it now? I think I'll wait.
  • @experiment1 you wouldn't happen to have a modular grid with your module collection would you?
  • It's currently not updated and I'm on the edge of building a new case to fit them all inside one place and maybe building a new stand to make it more compact 'cause space is premium in my loft. It's currently only CAD.
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/403944
    You could argue that there are not enough functions generator, cause I sequence it all with other sources like a m32 or pro2 and Audulus (nowadays).
    Got two Audio Damage, Spectre and dub today and i'm currently fiddling with noise engineering bia and a plonk.
    I do like thinks which you can excite... because... they excite me :'D
    And I've bought a lzx cyclops which is on the way... this laser stuff seems cool and I like the lissajous art :)
  • >space is premium

I hear you there! I am about to buy a new case, but am vacillating between a slightly larger case that would be light enough that I could still take it places or a much larger case that would probably just stay in my room and take up 50% of my creative work space.

You have some really nice modules, many of which I have long been curious about. piston honda and trigger riot in particular seem like a lot of fun. I wouldn't worry too much about having onboard sequencers. I borrowed a makenoise shared system for a while and loved the cartesian sequencer but now that I made one in audulus I find that the desire to fill up 34 hp has dissipated. I still want a pressure points though. That was too much fun!
  • Piston honda is indeed a very nice module - I easily could use two or three of it. The controls feel a little bit cheap but other then that I use it as a vco, lfo, waveshaper, function generator and so on. Don't forget the extra ROMs to get real 256 waveforms because the banks A-F are copies from banks 3-7.
    Trigger riot is something I would replace in Audulus to be much more flexible - It's a nice tool for rhythmics but if you want to use it as a function generator it needs many more modules like attenuvators and envelopes. It takes some time to program because of its many layers. So imho it's not neccesary for an Audulus user like you ;)

Which case do you have and which do you want?
  • I have a pittsburgh EP-96 (96 hp), which I love because it's wood and fits perfectly into a bag I have in such a way that makes it safe to travel. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/360884

But I have about 150 hp worth or modules just sitting in a box including a DPO and an intellijel atlantis that I would like to use again. So the smaller case I was thinking of buying is the intellijel 7U x 104hp BLACK performance case https://intellijel.com/product/7u-x-104hp-performance-case/ which just looks so cool. The larger is 12U x 104hp from DNGR TECH https://www.dngr.tech/product/12ufo-portable-eurorack-case/ which would give me a lot of space to spend even more money on modules.

BTW, the Disting is also a wavetable oscillator. It's not a 3 pole morphing wavetable beast like Piston Honda, but you I have mine loaded with several hundred wavetables and you can definitely get a bit of that flavor if you want something to accompany the Piston Honda.
  • You're right, metal cases indeed look cool. The feeling when you walk down a street with boxes full of tech worth thousands of cash...
    That DNGR case looks very massive and supplies a good amount of mobile hp, but I could imagine that the high wooden sidecheeks will interfere with the usability - you can't place modules there that are tight packed with knobs because twisting them isn't fun. You need some ergonomic space.
  • >>>you can't place modules there that are tight packed with knobs because twisting them isn't fun.

That is a valid point. I am already starting to think that larger modules and knobs have a lot of merit. And if I went with the DNGR case, I probably wouldn't take it anywhere. As you say, that's too much money to accidentally lose.
  • plugged in the ES-8 last night and boom.. instant fun. I didn't think Audulus would run on my older ipad mini, (messed around on my gf's ipad pro which she so generously let me borrow) but I figured I'd try and download it anyway last night and it worked! it can't handle very much before maxing out CPU but I pulled up a Rungler and sent a few outputs through the ES-8. Even with extremely limited options I had this patch running for hours and there was still more to explore.

Sending the modulation output of the Rungler (i think that's what that output is...) into output 1 on the ES-8 and then from there to the cutoff on the Intellijel uVCF. Also sending it to the FM input on the Bermuda osc and then through the uVCF. other modulation into the 1v/oct of the Bermuda and another envelope from Dopes (simple dual AR envelope) into the FM2 input of the uVCF. Really fun to crank the filter into self resonance too.

have to get a new ipad now lol

sorry if the pic is sideways, I don't know how to fix it.
    audulus-ES-8.jpg
    473 x 638 - 108K
  • Wow I like the knob on your bermuda! Also I see you have a digitakt. That is a great set up. I am looking to get an elektron sampler soon myself. Thanks for the pic :)
  • @shred - very nice!!! Glad you're enjoying it :) Post a video when you can! would love to hear it.

As for picture - let me guess, you uploaded it and then realized it was sideways then tried to reupload it? If you do that you have to change the name of the file, too. Actually, I just tried just changing the name and that didn't work - I had to clip off a tiny bit of the picture to get the forum to recognize it as a new file. Weird quirk of the forum software. I did it for you though!
  • @RobertSyrett thanks again for the Rungler! the knob is from Radioshack haha. Grabbed it when my local shop was clearing house. I'm going to order some Davies knobs for most. bit of a knob-snob I suppose. still learning the Digitakt, it's my first Elektron box so the learning curve is a bit steep. But it's getting easier and easier. Has a great sound too. Trying to figure out how I want to incorporate it in this setup cause I'd like to take advantage of it's sequencer but MIDI is somewhat confusing to me. I've had great results though just sending it through Ears and using the envelope follower to time things within the system with the clock divider and logic tiles.

@biminiroad definitely will post some videos! don't know what happened with the pic... I just attached it as is, didn't mess with it at all. Thanks for fixing it!
  • @shred - nice! I made a post about it on our insta - do you have an account? I'll edit in and link to you if you do: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaWeU3ggBHh/?taken-by=audulus
  • oh cool! yeah my name is shredderghost
  • something like the Wiard JAG would be fun. https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/jag/

"It takes any two modulation sources (LFO, Envelope, Sequencer, Random Generator, Oscillator, X and Y of a Joystick, etc…) and maps out an X and Y location. From this XY coordinate, the output level of the 8 outputs in the circle are determined, as well as a center (Dome with level control) and Edge (opposite of Dome) level – multiplying your 2 modulation inputs and providing you with a total of 12 outputs."

in my head I'm picturing a touch pad that covers most of the ipad screen allowing lots of expressive control.