Expert Sleepers ES-8 Audulus Eurorack Modules
  • This is where you can post your modules that make use of the ES-8!

Module design rules:

1) Must use all inputs (4) and outputs (8) of the Expert Sleepers ES-8.
    2) Put a priority on modular-only control - that is, no need to use or look at the touch screen, if possible. Pretend the ES-8 is just a module without knobs.

Hints: You can use any DC offset generator as an analog knob for your module. Think outside of knobs - use ribbon controllers or other CV generators as your "interface."

All patches posted will be collected here on the top post in a .zip file (once available).
  • Octature LFO with phase differential control and automatic CV mapping (in progress).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVC1pxDAkai/
  • I would like to take umbridge with both the design criteria!

1) I find that there is no need to take up all the slots. In a given patch, you will want to make the most of your es-8 and that means using the slots for what the variety of things the match needs. An envelope here, a pitch quantizer there, a drum machine over here, and lagomorph reverb for the whole mix. But they do need to be tailored to work with standard CV.

2) You have to buy DC offsets, I think it's perfectly acceptable to use the Audulus interface. Using the iPad isn't onerous at all, and if you have a midi controller with knobs you can keep those inputs available for signals.

But yeah, in general I think this is a great initiative :)
  • @RobertSyrett

1) The extra slots can be treated as buffered mults, an extra VCA, or whatever you want - just don't leave them unused. Sure, have a stereo reverb patch with 2 in 2 out, but then use the other 2 for CVs or LFOs or envelopes or whatever. There's no reason to leave them unused is what I mean, and it's all about packing maximum functionality into the module.

2) You can make them dual use where you *can* use the interface if you want, but make it so they don't have to if they don't want to.
  • @RobertSyrett - also, the DATA module has 4 DC offsets and with the auto mapping it works beautifully - you'll see. You have one of those don't ya?
  • If you had to suggest some modules i might sell to make room for the DATA, what would they be?
  • @robertsyrett - whats ur current rack?
  • @robertsyrett LPG, 4hp blind, and the in/out seem like they could take a backseat to DATA - DATA can also generate LFOs and master clocks too, and will eventually be a quantizer and some other cool stuff I think (firmware updates).
  • @robertsyrett - btw, you could use a static voltage from the DATA fed through your trim and have at least 3 knobs available at once (2 from Trim, 1 on DATA) that could be high-res Audulus knobs.
  • Here's my first take on a VCO. There are still pitch tracking issues, so I built in a chromatic quantizer as a half measure while I ponder how to best address the problem.

This is basically an array of all my favorite wave-shaping techniques that I have seen in eurorack modules. I would LOVE to see the shape parameter swept on the DATA oscilloscope. Some shapes work better as an LFO so there is a toggle which reduces the rate by Hz/1000 and makes the signal unipolar.

There is a built-in VCA with signal rectification for convenience.

Please give feedback for improvements.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 4.52.40 AM.png
    986 x 722 - 148K
    RHS WAVE BANK.audulus
  • I was looking at the Evaton Technologies CLX module and though it might be a good fit for this design challenge. So I made a simple module that is basically two clocks whose outputs are run through an array of logic parameters. This should be useful for creating phasing poly rhythms and all the things that the original was useful for.

The modulation inputs are doubled because most of my LFO's are +/- 5 or 8 volts and obviously you won't be sweeping the full range of the parameters if that is the case. Similarly the outputs are halved since a 5v gate is sufficient if not preferable for most of my modules. Incoming CV is added to the knob position.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 6.20.29 PM.png
    416 x 331 - 58K
    RHS DUAL LOGIC CLOCK.audulus
  • Here's the Octature LFO - it also works in Audulus (example patch attached, sound sample below).

To use the inputs of the Octature LFO, connect the 1-4 outputs to their respective knobs. This will send voltages coming from inputs 1-4 to these parameters. The parameters will auto-scale to the range of voltage you're using.

https://soundcloud.com/audulus/es-8-octature-lfo-demo

In this example, there are 8 filters, each being modulated by one of the LFOs. It mostly sounds like a panning effect in this application, but you could have different filters, or different sounds going into each filter, too.

knobs:

Hz - range is .01Hz-10hz (adjustable internally).
    Ø - phase differential - this adjust the amount of difference in phase between each LFO from 0 to 22.5 degrees.
    -/+ - attenuverter - can reverse the perceived stereo direction of a sweep.
    fold - wavefolding amount (only turned on when button i/o is pressed, as it limits the LFO from attaining its full -10 to +10v sweep.

buttons:

CV - resets the auto-ranging CV controls (only applies in ES-8 mode when the knobs are controlled by external CVs)
    i/o - turns on wavefolding
    ES8 - turns on ES-8 mode - leave this off if you want to just use the module in Audulus.
    A/DC - switches between AC and DC in ES-8 mode.

NOTE: If you connect to 8 speakers and put them around you in a circle, you will perceive the sound of the example patch to be swirling around you!
    ES-8 Octature LFO.audulus
    Octature LFO Example.audulus
    1M
  • Ah, I think I understand the design challenge a little more. You want the adc/dac nodes EMBEDDED in the module. That's a pretty interesting idea.
  • @RobertSyrett - yeah, the idea being you could hook up your iPhone to your ES-8, set it aside, and just pretend the ES-8 *IS* that module.
  • Expert Sleepers is going to a conference in 2 weeks and wants cool Audulus patches to take along - here's the rig that he's using:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/247105

I'm thinking something to trigger the Drum Dokta, something to sequence the synthesizer, some other stuff? Anyway come up with patches and maybe Os will use them at this event!
  • Interesting. @biminiroad this reminds me of your old eurorack from a year ago. I think sequencers and signal processing are probably the best contrast to what is already in Os's travel case.

Proposal, how about adapting @Plurgid's Chord patch to control a bank of disting oscillators, run it back into audulus for some @sansnom filtering and @lagomorph reverb?
  • @RobertSyrett - yeah I've forgone the Distings mostly since Audulus + ES-8 is like a super Disting. And that sounds great!
  • I finally got to see my wavebank modules' waveforms dance
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVibuAiA78f/
  • Man, those Mordax modules are nice.
  • They really are! I wonder what added functionality they will come out with. I think the wave folding and xy oscilloscope are really nice touches.
  • Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge there is no need to take up all the slots. In a given patch, you will want to make the most of your es-8 and that means using the slots for what the variety of things the match needs. An envelope here, a pitch quantizer there, a drum machine over here, and lagomorph reverb for the whole mix.
  • @lulanord - yes, I think we're saying the same thing. It's not that you need to make one envelope that uses all of the inputs and outputs, but it should be one self-contained module and controllable (mostly) from CV inputs so that people who just want to interact with the HW as if it's a standalone module dont have to use the touch screen or computer. My point is its a wasted opportunity to make a patch that doesnt use all of its I/O.
  • @lulanord welcome btw! :)
  • ES-8s are back in stock, just ordered mine today!
  • :D Now he needs to make more disting mk 4.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!