Audulus 3.4 Update - Multichannel Audio!

Read the more nicely formatted version here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nwv7zO_vN5wnE1IWw2QnVNYVbWCPeLs8EntRw5-LbYI/edit?usp=sharing

Audulus 3.4 Update Adds Support for Multichannel Audio/CV Output

Audulus LLC is proud to announce the release of Audulus version 3.4 - a free update for all Audulus platforms* allowing users to access up to 16 audio and control voltage (CV) inputs and outputs through two brand-new nodes called ADC (analog-to-digital converter) and DAC (digital-to-analog converter).

Previously, Audulus users were limited to two inputs and two outputs using the Mic and Speaker nodes. Now, with the ADC and DAC nodes, Audulus users can take full advantage of their DC-coupled** audio interfaces, such as the Expert Sleepers ES-8 and the Universal Audio Apollo.

This means that users can now integrate Audulus seamlessly with hardware synthesizers and analog effects pedals using their computer or iOS device.

Some examples uses include:
    Sending and receiving simultaneous audio, modulation, and envelope CVs to up to 4 Eurorack filters for true analog filter polyphony
    Clocking multiple Korg Volcas at different speeds or divisions of a master clock
    Sequencing analog synthesizers with volt-per-octave (VPO) signals
    Receiving multiple DC signals from hardware controllers like CV joysticks and ribbon controllers for ultra-high-resolution control over your digital synthesizers
    Receiving, quantizing, and sending out analog VPO signals
    Generating LFOs and envelopes of any imaginable shape
    Using stompboxes on a send & return within your Audulus patches
    Cloning, adapting, and modifying true work-alikes of digital and analog Eurorack modules
    Generating quadraphonic or surround-sound-style effects for keyboards and guitar
    Receiving an analog master clock and generating divisions, probability triggers, or Euclidean-style rhythm sequencing (or mix of all!)
    Storing, recalling, and rapidly switching between different modular synth patch routings
    Analyzing a guitar’s pitch and volume envelope within Audulus and converting them to an analog VPO and envelope signal
    Using Audulus as a multi-effect rack with 4 mono inputs and outputs or 2 stereo inputs and outputs (with an Expert Sleepers ES-8)

These are just a few of the possibilities Audulus users have explored so far. To keep up with patches and modules using the new ADC and DAC nodes, sign up for the Audulus user forum and download and share your patches there - http://forum.audulus.com

An example of Audulus sequencing VPO signals and envelopes through an Expert Sleepers ES-8:

https://soundcloud.com/audulus/bimini-road-persistent-cough-ambient-house

Users can also follow Audulus on Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Soundcloud, and Facebook @audulus for tutorials, video clips, and sound samples of what the ADC and DAC nodes can do.

If Audulus users have any questions about how to implement the ADC and DAC nodes, they can contact Audulus at support@audulus.com

Happy patching from all of us at Audulus!

* Audulus iOS requires the Apple Camera Connector Kit to connect to the Expert Sleepers ES-8.

**Most normal audio interfaces are AC-coupled. AC-coupling prevents a constant DC offset from damaging speakers and headphones. DC-coupled audio interfaces like the Expert Sleepers ES-8 are not required to use all 16 inputs and outputs of an audio interface or aggregate device. DC-coupled audio interfaces are required to send and receive accurate DC-offset analog signals such as gates, VPO signals, and envelopes.
    ADC-DAC-Eurorack.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • Sweet! I have been really enjoying the new nodes, even if you don't have a dc-coupled interface, this will be a huge benefit. You can send individual audulus instruments out for off board signal processing and of course Audulus has some amazing filters and reverb effects thanks to the contributions of @lagomorph and @sansnom. But of course, thank you Taylor for continuing to keep Audulus fresh and exciting.
  • Yay! So excited these are out of beta, getting to use them over the past month has really changed my relationship with my computer :)
  • Yes, wonderful work thank you!
    Running perfectly with my modular, Mac and iPad.
    But I have a potential dumb question. Running a composite audio interface on Mac with a Focusrite Scarlet and ES-8 is OK in Live and MAX. In Audulus 3.4 I cant get it to work. (Solo ES-8 Works fine with Audulus). Do I miss something or is this according to expectations?
  • @melkesedek - the ES-8 sucks up all 16 outputs, as it has 8 hidden ones for gates over ADAT. Eventually, you'll be able to have arbitrary audio I/O, which will allow you to use aggregate devices effectively, but for now, the ES-8 is the only interface Audulus will recognize - if it's FIRST in your aggregate device. What I'm guessing is you have your Scarlet as 1-X outputs and you have your ES-8 as X+1-X+16 outputs. Make sense?
  • @biminiroad - thanks for fast reply and clear answer. Your guess was so totally correct, Scarlet was first. It makes perfect sense. Now I will dig into the infinite hybrid possibilities you have made come true.
  • Silly question, where is the Windows update link?
  • @thinds - Silly me, actually - I misunderstood Taylor and the update for Windows isn't released yet - he's working on it though! There will be a link posted here and on our social media when it is available ;)
  • Ah-ha! That would explain it. Cheers
  • It just keeps getting better and better. Thanks Taylor for the additional flexibility.
  • I'm not seeing VPO nodes in Audulus, just hz.
    How would we use a eurorack VPO sequencer, for instance, to sequence an oscillator in Audulus?
  • @midilifestyle I have been using the expression (x*10)-4 for incoming signals on the ES-8, which has a +-10v range. Then I can use the 1/oct standard within Audulus. The tracking is a little funky over several octaves, so I use a chromatic quantizer if it really bothers me. What kind of setup do you have?'

Here is a module I made for using the BSP with my Audulus oscillators.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 1.07.27 AM.png
    358 x 520 - 42K
    v2Hz.audulus
  • I'm using René through the es-8.
    That expression doesn't work for me; the resulting pitch is super low. I tried playing around with different math and I couldn't get anything close. Any ideas?

It would be awesome if Audulus made a native node that converted from standard VPO gear.
  • midi, I've been able to calibrate my motu to the audulus vpo without too much struggle (although I think an ES-8 would be easier). I put gain on the outputs of my motu which makes my output voltage range stupidly arbitrary. So I think this method should work for anybody, but there might be an even easier conversion that someone else can share.

For reference here's what I did:

Take a hz2o module from the module library, give it an input of some kind, like 100hz, then run the output out your audio interface into an external oscillator that can output a clean waveform, a sine or something.

Then take the output of the oscillator, run it into your audio interface, and put a ZeroCross node and a value node on that input. So now you can see the frequency output of your oscillator. Adjust your oscillator until it's outputting 100hz.

Now go up two to four octaves in your hz2o object 100, 200, 400, 800. The output of the oscillator will be wrong, so now put an Expr node in between your hz2o module and try dividing or multiplying the voltage signal until you get the desired frequency out of your oscillator. It might also be that a simple offset is all you need.

Now go back down to 100hz and adjust your oscillator to output 100hz again. Repeat until you've found the correct adjustment gain/attenuation/offset for your audio interface.

I have to have a different algorithm for each of my outputs because I was dumb about the way I designed my hardware output gain amplifiers, but for the ES-8 it should be easier to use the same adjustment for each of the output channels.

• @midilifestyle Try using the attached patch, it has knobs that can adjust the incoming signal's octave and note until it matches your expectations. :)
  • @demcanulty I have found that each channel needs to be separately calibrated for v/oct signals. I found that when I used a calibration file for one outlet in es-8 for another outlet it wouldn't work properly. I think it would be a perfectly reasonable feature request for the module library to have some cv tools.

@midilifestyle. I have a friend with like 7 different eurorack sequencers. I will go check my v2Hz module over at his place and see if it only works with BSP or what.
  • @RobertSyrett

I think the attachment from the previous message didn't go through?

That's very interesting about the different calibrations, I was curious about that! I'll be interested to see your adjustment knobs. I think my calibrations are non-linear due to my first approach, I've got two channels that are really well calibrated and one that's a bit off, which has been enough for the moment. The brokenness adds a nice color to things, but I'll be glad when I've got a perfect output and can break it intentionally. It's on my back burner as I'm pretty sure I'll just get an ES-8 when they're back in stock and just use my motu for envelopes and triggers where it's less important to get it perfectly right.
  • @demcanulty the patch I was refering to is actually on the post from earlier, after @midilifestyle 's first post on this thread :P

I highly recommend the ES-8, they are worth the wait. I'm kind of surprised that @biminiroad isn't putting together an order.

I do think that the homebrew motu is still useful for diagnostic purposes, like if you can get that interface to work perfectly, then it will work on any interface.
  • I'm a bit new to Audulus... where can I find this update? Sorry for the stupidity.
  • @biggator - It's not yet out for Windows/Linux, Taylor's working on that now! :)
  • I'm new, too. And I'm unable to find ring mod module and some others, too. I've been scrolling though the whole 1-Modules list and its subfolders, but no luck.
  • @Fedor - a ring mod is just a multiply node with your audio going in one end and an LFO on the other - I'll make one for you today and you can see what I mean! :)
  • I have a basic idea of ring modulation and I think I'll try to do it myself, too, based on your explanation.

So a multiply node with the audio going in one end and an LFO on the other, huh?
    And the same thing with VCA node will give me amplitude modulation.

I just though if the Ring Mod module is in the Modules reference list, then it should be available in the program.

Another point I want to add is that Windows version of Audulus has only VST instrument
    plugin, that has no inputs at all. Hopefully when 3.4 update hits Windows there will be
    an effect plugin.
  • @Fedor yeah, a ring mod is basically a primitive VCA. From Wikipedia: "Ring modulation is a signal-processing function in electronics, an implementation of amplitude modulation or frequency mixing, performed by multiplying two signals, where one is typically a sine wave or another simple waveform."

See example patch - it has a crossfader to mix the effect in with the dry signal.

The module library has since that release gone through a big overhaul, and I'm still trying to catch up with documentation for it all, including the nodes. It's coming though!

Taylor is planning on doing an overhaul of the plugins, but I don't know when he's going to make the effect plugin for Windows. We'll see!

If you want to download those old modules, most of them are up at www.patchstorage.com
    Ring Mod Example.audulus
  • @biminiroad Ring modulation is a specific circuit of diodes in a ring. The multiply function in Audulus and other bipolar VCA's such as ModDemix come close, but there is distortion introduced by a ring modulation circuit that holds the same appeal as a particularly anachronistic analog filter. Also, the ring modulator wasn't developed as a VCA but rather for frequency-division multiplexing for carrying multiple voice signals over telephone cables.
  • @RobertSyrett - Ring modulation is ALSO a specific circuit of diodes in a ring...etc.

FTFY ;)

From the same article down below: As of 2016, electronic instruments usually provide an effect called "ring modulation" using some other circuitry (such as an analog multiplier) instead of an actual diode ring; careful design can produce similar results.
  • Yeah, the MI Warps has a pretty good diode ring modulation emulation. I would like to know how they went about it.
  • Thanks for adding this feature! Any chance on getting more than 16 ins/outs? I'm getting a Behringer UMC1820 to replace my USB Streamer on the iPad and the ADAT is on ch 13-20. I have the ES-3/ES-6 combo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!