"All-Analog" Audulus Songs
  • Post your Audulus+Eurorack/analog synths patches here. Send out those 1VPO signals, gates, envelopes, but get most of the audio from your external synth (effects in Audulus are ok). Just want a place to collect how you can use Audulus mostly as a control center for your modular synths.

https://soundcloud.com/biminiroadmusic/audulus-analog-synth-1-ambient

Signal Chain:

Synth 1 (Melody):

Audulus 7 1VPO step sequencer & variable envelopes ->
    Expert Sleepers ES-8 ->
    STG Sea Devils Filter (VCO) ->
    L-1 Tube VCA (Distortion) ->
    Doepfer A-106-5 SEM ->
    Audulus Clockable Tuned Delay

The amplitude of this synth is controlled by an Audulus envelope at the Response (resonance) input - the Tube VCA is just used as a feedback distortion to waveshape the Sea Devils' sine wave before it hits the SEM low-pass filter. The controls most adjusted were the feedback knob on the Tube VCA and the Response knob on the Sea Devils.

Synth 2 (Sci-Fi):

Audulus 7 1VPO step sequencer & variable envelopes ->
    Expert Sleepers ES-8->
    STG Mankato Filter (VC0) with STG .MIX creating feedback ->
    Bubblesound SeM20 VSF ->
    Audulus Clockable Tuned Delay

Various poles of the Mankato filter are fed into a .MIX module at different amounts to create some waveshaping feedback. An output of the Mankato is also being fed back into the control amount input of the filter to create even more feedback. This is then shaped by the SeM20 in notch pass mode and sent through a delay module in Audulus. The controls most adjusted were the frequency knobs of the Mankato and SeM20, and the control amount knob on the Mankato.

The drums are synthesized in Audulus, created by @N├Âmak, and available for download here: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/comment/9310#Comment_9310

Audulus Analog Synth 1.JPG
    860 x 711 - 266K
  • Very nice! I look forward to trying something like this out when adc and dac are released :)
  • That sounds nice! I had a nice couple of crossover sessions last week, but my patches looked insane. Nothing as properly composed as this either, really hoping to grow towards this level of control.
  • Comenow comenow, surely there is room for the abstract and bizarre as well as the sweet and composed.
  • Haha, thanks Robert, well if you twist my arm!

This is the piece:
    http://milkflakes.com/post/160737019833/new-patch-with-combination-of-modular-and-audulus

The background 'airplane' sound is a 3ceeoh VCO running through the Korg35 LP filter out into the modular and back again, and the sound for the pulse is coming from two Tiptop Z3000 oscillators and a Doepfer A-110 VCO, summing and frequency modulating each other messily.

The envelope for the pulse is being generated by Audulus and triggered by a Doepfer LFO fed into Audulus (AC coupled) and recovered with one of my schmitt trigger objects. The cool thing for playing around is that when I flip the LFO (Doepfer A-143) into its high setting, I think my schmitt trigger breaks and so you lose the pulse on the messy oscillator sound, giving a nice sense of change. The sound of that LFO somehow bleeds into the output, so you can hear me playing around with it when things change.

Envelope for the pulse is coming from Audulus, and running into a Synthrotek MST VCA.

On top of this there are some other sounds from a prototype wavefolder module that I'm hoping to manufacture for user guest from Muffwiggler soon, and the intellijel uFold module (which is slightly enhancing the 'airplane' sound)

The thing that makes this most interesting especially, I think, is that Audulus is modulating all of the panning, which is so much easier to do here, and I basically just have a litter of unsynced LFO modules dumbly panning things left and right at different rates.

I enjoyed this one a lot. I tried to pick it up the next day and add some more musical elements and I just couldn't, it became totally different. So I took it all apart and figured I'd try again soon to get something like it, but with some more composed elements.

I thought I had a photo but it was of the wrong patch. This one only exists in recording form.

What I liked most about this piece is that, for the first time in my life, I was moving seamlessly and without breaking the creative moment between computer and instrument, I found myself routing signals in and out of the computer just like patch cables, and throwing down new LFOs and filters, just in the process of thinking about the sounds I wanted to make, without having to switch consciousness to a more programmatic or builder mind. It was a big step forward for me :)
  • @demcanulty Good stuff! It reminded me of a Moebius Neumeier Engler type of soundscape. There is something about wave-folders that reminds me of electricity, I mean I know it's all electric but they way wave folders add overtones makes me think of arcing electricity.

It occurs to me that just because I don't have adc and dac I have to be left out of the game. I think I will try to clock Audulus with Silent Way and multitrack some generative sequences into Ableton. I suppose there is still plenty I can do with 2 ins and outs.

@biminiroad is it still your best advice to just use the (o+4)/10 expression for 1v/oct signals, or has your approach become for nuanced?
  • @demcanulty - love the stereo effects on this one - sounds like a Jacob's Ladder electrifying the stereo field.

Also, LOVE this: "What I liked most about this piece is that, for the first time in my life, I was moving seamlessly and without breaking the creative moment between computer and instrument, I found myself routing signals in and out of the computer just like patch cables, and throwing down new LFOs and filters, just in the process of thinking about the sounds I wanted to make, without having to switch consciousness to a more programmatic or builder mind. It was a big step forward for me"

Right on! I feel the same. For these I've mostly been setting it up in Audulus then twiddling the analog knobs.

@RobertSyrett that's what I've been doing for right now, but will make an autotuner and whatnot soon - the Mankato doesn't track like the Sea Devils, so I want to make individual 1vpo adjustments for each. Mankato has a much lower starting frequency so it sounds off.

Here's another:

https://soundcloud.com/biminiroadmusic/persistent-cough

Same as above, except in Sci-Fi synth 2, BP output of the SeM20 is fed to the .MIX module and into the input of the self-oscillating Mankato (which is still being filtered by the SeM20 in LPF mode.

• When I use the Silent Way plugins the calibration is different for each output of the ES-8 to some fraction of a semitone, so and autotuner will probably improve tracking quite a bit. Until then a little variation in tracking probably only enhances the analog quality of the recordings :)
  • An autotuner would be awesome, I was wondering if there might be some good way to create a remapping table and save it at some point. It might already exist in Audulus and I'm just not sure how to make it?

Thanks for the comments/encouragement, it is much appreciated!
  • @demcanulty - remapping table?
  • Right, I can see I made an assumption about how an autotuner would work that probably wasn't correct :) I was thinking if you connect an external oscillator to a voltage sweep from Audulus, then route the output of the oscillator back into Audulus, you could just map the frequency output of the oscillator and then save that map somewhere.

So for any external oscillator, a method like that could generate an object that would convert an internally correct Audulus 1vpo to an arbitrary external voltage to frequency map.
  • Yeah, that's what silent way does. I'm not sure what resolution is needed, but I wonder if my sample and loop 64 module could be retooled for the task.
  • Ohh, I've gotta download it. I might have to get an ES-8 as well.
  • I use Audulus mostly as FX for my modular. Without MIDI out, and not having a SilentWay interface (CV) it's not very useful the other way around. I guess I could output raw oscillators from Audulus and feed that through the modular's filter etc, but hardware oscillators sound so much better; same for ADSRs and VCAs.

On the other hand, the reverb I was able to build in Audulus sounds way better than anything I could find for iPad or (afford to buy) in modular hardware. I have also whipped up rotary speaker, Eminent and Roland choruses, Roland vocal formant filters, phaser, etc.
  • @lagomorph I would love to check out some of your roland-style choruses and vocal formant effects.

So I gave the All Analog Audulus a challenge. I used various combinations of sequencers and modulation sources to make generative patches on the modular and then recorded almost an hour of different patches whilst i tweaked parameters and occasionally jammed along. Then I edited it down to 5 minutes.

https://soundcloud.com/method-of-design/early-days

I was using these modules:

The DPO, Optomix, and Chronoblob were at the core of most of the patches, and I also used a lot of spring reverb for that old-time goodness.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 9.37.31 AM.png
    1081 x 814 - 1M
  • Very interesting, quite an array of sounds and styles!
  • Thanks! I was aiming for Morton Subotnick/Dymaxion/Raymod Scott sort of territory.

edit: lol,I actually got pretty close to dymaxion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!