Harmonaig chord generator
  • Saw this on Reddit today

https://youtu.be/zPSb8RBeUuE

This is such a neat idea! I have zippy experience with physical modular gear, Audulus is actually kind of my first introduction to the sort of ... not even sure how to describe it, but ... I guess the best way to put it is "the pure theoretical esssence of sound". Which is to say modular stuff, and by extension Audulus tends to exist outside the framework of traditional music theory. Which is cool, but also tends to make my Audulus creations completely unusable for the perspective of anything but pure sound design.

This module offers a neat way of gently harnessing music theory to the modular sound design framework. I'm definitely going to try to build something like this in Audulus ... not a proper clone by any means, but thought y'all might would be interested in it too.
  • @plurgid I happened to see the same video today and thought the same thing. The interface could almost be duplicated 1 for 1 because of the lack of LED, but the keyboard is pretty multi-functional. So the Audulus version would have to be larger. That being said it has enough functionality to be 2 or maybe even 3 Audulus modules.
  • It would certainly be an amazing module
  • Could someone explain the drops? I didn't quite get that bit. I took it as dropping the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or forth an octave but I'm unfamiliar with the guitar technique.

On the following set, I altered a quantizer. The inversion knob has 5 settings: Straight, followed by the 4 inversions which raised all the way, result in the same chord an octave higher.

For the drops, which I'm not sure about yet, for now, I dropped the parts in the chord an octave but can alter it easy enough if I know how it's supposed to go. There are 6 settings: Straight, drop 1,2,3,4 then I added an extra one, dropping the 1 and 3. I may have to put that last setting which I like with the inversions if it doesn't go with the real drops.

I think the big knob on that device is a pre quantized transpose and I got 2 of those in there

There's also some vector sequencing creations in there and a quad harmonic blade with spread, fed thru a filter in stereo. The file is quite big as I can't copy and paste it to a new set, removing the history on my windows copy without my pc hanging for ages with the amount of cpu this uses. Once I understand the drops, I'll alter it and tidy it up a bit.
    vector(9).audulus
    42M
  • Wow, that's a huge patch, Jimbo! Tried to open it on my iPad, but it was too heavy. I'll definitely check it out later on my computer.

This is a patch I've been working on that's not really trying to be a clone, as much as just to toy with the same ideas. I've got scales and harmonies, but not inversions yet.

IMG_0106.PNG
    2048 x 1536 - 335K
    chord-o-matic.audulus
  • Yes very nice, looking more dedicated to the job. My converted quantizer is restricted to what ever fixed scale is set on the quantizer and needs more work, not sure I'm quite there with it with majors and minors yet, will be going back to it to try sort it out. Yours is looking good though. Will have to spend more time on this over the next few days. I'll post something with a little less cpu intensive too, 4*harmonic blades = 12 oscillators which is ok on it's own but with nomak drums, full of oscillators and complex sequencers, it starts getting a bit much.

Edit: Got to say, I'm discovering that I'm making basic mistakes and might not see it for a few days. I just went back had a look and it really wasn't right. It's fixed now but I'll post it when I got something a bit more ...musical ;)

If someone see's I'm doing this, please let me know. I used to be good at maths and logic but am having to adjust, not having done it for such a long time.
  • here's mine with a step sequenced chord inverter hacked on.
    I wish there was a way to work with more than 4 voice polyphony, because it'd be cool to make some really complex chords.

Come to think of it, one might be able to accomplish such a feat with the mixer node ... gonna have to play with that soon! Edit: Nah that didn't work. There doesn't seem to be a way to get polyphony above 4 voices other than through midi input
    chord-o-matic.audulus