Clockable Tuned Delay Line
  • https://soundcloud.com/biminiroadmusic/clockable-tuned-delay-line-demo

The Clockable Tuned Delay Line is a multi-use delay line with a built-in analog-modelling filter.

You can use it as a traditional delay, and dial up the color for a more analog, old-school sound.

Flip it into HPF mode to have a smooth decaying high pass delay sound.

Turn on sync mode to create a delay at the exact ratio of the incoming clock tempo.

Flip on tuned mode and crank up the regen and use the delay as a VCO! Sounds very plucky and raw, can shape the sound with the filter as well.

And best of all, these modes are modulateable and gateable, as you can hear in the demo above, which is using a sequencer to rhythmically switch between modes.

Inputs
    a - audio
    o - octave signal for tuned mode
    Clock - tempo of the incoming signal - expects 1 pulse per quarter note (1PPQ)
    mod - delay line modulation input (for chorus and vibrato effects)
    sync - turns the sync function on and off (ignored if button is pressed).
    tune - turns tuned mode on and off (ignored if button is pressed).
    HPF - selects between LPF and HPF (ignored if button is pressed).

Output
    a - audio

Knobs
    time - Delay time - fast/slow repeats.
    regen - Delay feedback.
    mix - Dry/wet balance.
    mod - Mixes incoming modulation (m) signal into the delay time.
    color - Adjusts the filter cutoff point for the SEM filter (by @Sansnom) in the feedback loop.

Buttons
    sync - Sync enables the delay subdivisions based on a tap or incoming clock signal.
    tune - Tunes the delay line to the incoming octave (o) signal. Sync must be enabled.
    HPF - Changes the color filter from lowpass to highpass
    tap - Tap tempo input. You can tap while its being clocked, but the clock will take over on the next cycle.

Display
    Fraction & DT lights - displays current subdivision and whether it is a dotted (D) or triplet (T). Useful in tuned mode as creating an exact ratio of an incoming pitch.

clockable.png
    513 x 413 - 141K
    Clockable Delay Line.audulus
  • GREAT! This is so close to the chronoblob. The only thing this doesn't have is crossfaded delays so you don't hear the pitch change with the delay time. But wow, this is going to see some use.
  • Suddenly I can't help but think that The Chrono-Bob would be a great name for something :) I guess it's right up there with the Chron-O-John from Day of the Tentacle.

"The pods came complete with a highly sophisticated Time-Flux Hydraulic Vortex Chamber." You know, I think there might be a solidly musical idea in there somewhere.
  • lol nice! I didn't know this was like the Chronoblob, I just keep realizing I could add features to it - was just going to be a normal syncable delay with tap tempo subdivisions. That sample above has gotta be the funkiest thing I've ever done, and it just happened by randomly twiddling a few knobs (seriously!). This thing is really fun, makes me want to do a whole series of them as an oscillator or some kind.

@RobertSyrett - "The only thing this doesn't have is crossfaded delays so you don't hear the pitch change with the delay time." Can you explain this a little or point me to some reading on it? Isn't part of the fun that you hear the pitch change?
  • From the website "Chronoblob's mode switch selects its response to delay time changes. Throw the switch up to select resampling mode and get sweeping pitch effects reminiscent of a tape loop or BBD. With the switch down, Chronoblob smoothly crossfades between delay taps for quicker, more subtle changes."

It sounds like there is a little crossfade in the buffer rather than sweep in pitch, which is nice for percussion. I think the 4ms DLD also uses this, and in fact the best example i could find of the sound is from divkid's DLD video at around 6:45 where he is changing the delay time without repitching.

https://youtu.be/pf8FjudUIAo?t=6m45s
  • @RobertSyrett - I see what you mean! I'll try to implement that in a future version :)