Hard Sync Attempt
  • Hi - I'm new here, having just purchased Audulus 3 for Windows. Although I'm new to version 3, I have Audulus 2 for iPad (only have an iPad 2 so I wasn't able to upgrade to Audulus 3). In getting to know Audulus 3, I've been recreating some basic patches that I used to get to know Audulus 2. I was able to get through a few, but when I got to a hardsync patch, I got stuck.

I think my difficulty lies in the fact that the ADSR node now only has one input and one output as opposed to two and two in Audulus 2, and in Auduls 3, the ADSR node is placed differently in relation to the Oscillator. Specifically, in Audulus 2, the oscillator's output can feed into the ADSR node's In connection. In Audulus 3, there's no option for that, and the ADSR node's Env output feeds the oscillator's Amp input in order for the oscillator to make sound. (There may be other ways to work these nodes in Audulus 3 that I haven't yet discovered.)

I'm able to work with this different configuration, and as I said, I was able to recreate some of my old simple patches in Audulus 3. But the hard sync stumped me. I've uploaded a screenshot of each version of what I did - the Audulus 2 version, and my attempt with Audulus 3. They're both pretty simple so I won't waste time explaining the connections. The long and short of it is that although I'm getting sound out of the Audulus 3 version, it sounds more like a sick cat than a cool Cars-type P5 hard sync, which the Audulus 2 version sounded like! There is some syncing going on in the Audulus 3 version, but something is failing. I'm also uploading the .audulus file for the Audulus 3 version in case someone wanted to take a listen. Any advice is welcome - thanks in advance!
    Audulus2-HardSync.png
    1024 x 768 - 77K
    Audulus3HardSyncAttempt.jpg
    1040 x 807 - 79K
    HardSync_or_not.audulus
  • "I think my difficulty lies in the fact that the ADSR node now only has one input and one output as opposed to two and two in Audulus 2,"

You can sync two ADSR settings easily with knobs (see attached patch).

" and in Auduls 3, the ADSR node is placed differently in relation to the Oscillator."

You can use the output of the ADSR as the "amp" input on the oscillator, or you can set the oscillator's amplitude to 1 and multiply the oscillator's output by the ADSR (see attached).

Not gonna hear any hard sync from that patch because the oscillator's frequency is going from 0-.75Hz in less than a second (which would not even give it time to sync once).

Compared to the patch that you made in Audulus 2, you have those oscillators backwards. In v2, the fast oscillator is syncing the slower, in v3, the slow oscillator is syncing the faster. (see attached patch)

Hope this helps! :) Let me know if you have any followups
    Synced ADSR.audulus
    Osc control.audulus
    Cars Sync.audulus
  • Me doing things backwards? Unheard of! ;)

Thanks so much! I'll give these a look! If I have any questions, I'll let you know!
  • @binimiroad - I reviewed the files you uploaded. I see what you mean when you said I got it backwards! I should have noticed that, especially since I was looking at my Audulus 2 version when building the Audulus 3 version, and I got it right in Audulus 2. I tweaked my version after seeing yours and although I could have I'd be on the right track, it still wasn't sounding as good as your version. I'm guessing that using the single ADSR has something to do with it.

Anyway, this has helped me a lot! Thanks!