Confusion on Tutorial 3 knob
  • I'm pouring over the examples and ran into a snag. There is a special knob that doesn't seem like its part of the standard node library. Where does this come from? How can I make one like it (or should I)? I can't edit it (or read its max value) so its also not a module.

Thanks
    Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 9.00.51 PM.png
    923 x 775 - 66K
  • There are three nodes that look like knobs.

There is Knob, which has a label under it and shows up on the interface if it is part of a patch. This is the knode you have in your screencap.

There is Constant, which you cannot label and will not show up on the interface if it is part of a patch.

Both can have their max value set by tapping/clicking the center of the knob. Knobs are what I usually use except where I want to adjust something within a patch and then I use a constant node.

Then there is Level, which has an input as well as an output and is basically a trim pot for attenuating something.

Depending on which version you are running you find them in different places. Desktop, knobs are in the subpatch folder and the other two are in the level folder. On iPad, level looks like a blue wedge and constant looks like a knob with pi on it.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)
    Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 9.45.35 PM.png
    252 x 359 - 17K
  • Thanks for the reply and info. I looks like these different knobs cover all my needs.

There is definitely something strange though with the knob I screencapped. It has an inseparable red input that can't be detached or inspected. I'm just going to assume its some sort of hidden feature the developers have access to alone. Try copying that "special" knob into your own patch and you lose the neat input.

I'm now brainstorming ways to replicate the basic synth features from this tutorial :)

I think I'll bounce around the forums for more example patches to learn from.
  • Hahaha mystery solved.

Its a feature of the basic knob! drag the output of one knob to the input of another and the second one goes into some sort of slave mode. I just didn't realize it because it was hiding in a subpatch and not visibly connected.
    Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 10.29.47 PM.png
    1230 x 658 - 51K
  • Yes indeed! That can be confusing if you are not used to it. Well spotted. The master/slave thing is so you can put knobs on patches within patches.
  • @kylestew - yeah! You just can't connect a knob to another knob directly like that inside a subpatch because if you popped outside of the subpatch, there'd be a wire connected to that knob but it would be coming from inside the patch!

You can make a display like this though (under the 8 bucket label) by sending a signal to an output node, connecting the output to the knob, then hiding the output inside the knob node.