Chladni Sequencer
  • Would somebody mind posting a means by which Chladni Sequencer is run? Do you have to attach a knob or lfo or keyboard or what? I have run across quite a few patches or subpatches that I don't understand how they're suppose to be triggered or run. They look neat, but I have no clue to what purpose they may serve? Chladni is one of them. Thank you.
  • Hey Senji!

The Chladni Sequencer was my attempt to make a different kind of sequencer that was easily reversible without adding lots of extra counter apparatus that you need in a normal Audulus step sequencer.

It's basically an 8*8 64 step matrix sequencer. You can have 2 separate 64 step sequences using the same knobs, but read in different directions (x and y axis).

The thing that distinguishes the Chladni sequencer is that instead of being stepped forwards/backwards by a clock, the Chladni Sequencer is driven directly by 2 LFOs (one for x-axis sequence and the other for the y-axis sequence).

You can use any shape you want, but a saw will make them work like a traditional step sequencer.

The LFOs in Audulus range between 0-1.

Step 1 of the sequencer is selected when the LFO is:

Step 2 of the sequencer is selected when the LFO is:

1/64
    ...and so on until step 64:

63/64
    So a saw wave that begins at 0 and increases to 1 would start at step 1 and finish at step 64.

Adjusting how the sequence is played over the total 64 steps is a matter of attenuating and offsetting the LFO within a 0-1 range.

Reversing the sequence is easy - just send the inverse of that saw wave.

Ping-pong sequences are triangle waves.

Pendulum sequences are sine waves.

Random sequences can have a S&H input fed to them.

You can also use audio as a control signal for interesting effects - just make sure you scale the audio into a modulation signal with the a2m translation module.

The sequencer has 3 outputs:

X Sequence - with saw wave input - indicated by yellow dot - sequence is left to right, step 1 top left, step 64 bottom right.

Y Sequence - with saw wave input - indicated by blue dot - sequence is top to bottom, step 1 top left, step 64 bottom right.

= Sequence - samples current step value when X and Y sequence overlap on same step

The outputs are all between 0 and 1 (modulation signal) and can be turned into an octave signal (what you send to an oscillator) with an m2o translation module and sent through a scale quantizer.

The outputs of the sequencer can be fed back onto the sequencer to create even wilder sequences that have a nice light show. The reason it's called the Chladni Sequencer is that you can make patterns that resemble Chladni plates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRFysSAxWxI

The X and Y knobs are the max step value for the sequence.

The unlabelled knob steps through combinations of X/Y/= outputs being turned on or off.

For some example of basic use, see the attached patch.
    Chladni Sequencer Demo.audulus
    12M
  • I'm finally getting the hang of this sequencer tonight, it's very rich and strange!
  • @demcanulty - thanks! It's a neat one - showed it off at last Moogfest and brought it back this year cause it just looks so dern cool.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!