Chladni Sequencer
  • Would somebody mind posting a means by which Chladni Sequencer is run? Do you have to attach a knob or lfo or keyboard or what? I have run across quite a few patches or subpatches that I don't understand how they're suppose to be triggered or run. They look neat, but I have no clue to what purpose they may serve? Chladni is one of them. Thank you.
  • Hey Senji!

The Chladni Sequencer was my attempt to make a different kind of sequencer that was easily reversible without adding lots of extra counter apparatus that you need in a normal Audulus step sequencer.

It's basically an 8*8 64 step matrix sequencer. You can have 2 separate 64 step sequences using the same knobs, but read in different directions (x and y axis).

The thing that distinguishes the Chladni sequencer is that instead of being stepped forwards/backwards by a clock, the Chladni Sequencer is driven directly by 2 LFOs (one for x-axis sequence and the other for the y-axis sequence).

You can use any shape you want, but a saw will make them work like a traditional step sequencer.

The LFOs in Audulus range between 0-1.

Step 1 of the sequencer is selected when the LFO is:

Step 2 of the sequencer is selected when the LFO is:

1/64
    ...and so on until step 64:

63/64
    So a saw wave that begins at 0 and increases to 1 would start at step 1 and finish at step 64.

Adjusting how the sequence is played over the total 64 steps is a matter of attenuating and offsetting the LFO within a 0-1 range.

Reversing the sequence is easy - just send the inverse of that saw wave.

Ping-pong sequences are triangle waves.

Pendulum sequences are sine waves.

Random sequences can have a S&H input fed to them.

You can also use audio as a control signal for interesting effects - just make sure you scale the audio into a modulation signal with the a2m translation module.

The sequencer has 3 outputs:

X Sequence - with saw wave input - indicated by yellow dot - sequence is left to right, step 1 top left, step 64 bottom right.

Y Sequence - with saw wave input - indicated by blue dot - sequence is top to bottom, step 1 top left, step 64 bottom right.

= Sequence - samples current step value when X and Y sequence overlap on same step

The outputs are all between 0 and 1 (modulation signal) and can be turned into an octave signal (what you send to an oscillator) with an m2o translation module and sent through a scale quantizer.

The outputs of the sequencer can be fed back onto the sequencer to create even wilder sequences that have a nice light show. The reason it's called the Chladni Sequencer is that you can make patterns that resemble Chladni plates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRFysSAxWxI

The X and Y knobs are the max step value for the sequence.

The unlabelled knob steps through combinations of X/Y/= outputs being turned on or off.

For some example of basic use, see the attached patch.
    Chladni Sequencer Demo.audulus
    12M
  • I'm finally getting the hang of this sequencer tonight, it's very rich and strange!
  • @demcanulty - thanks! It's a neat one - showed it off at last Moogfest and brought it back this year cause it just looks so dern cool.