How to record Audulus
  • I use Audulus 3 on macOS.

I discovered in this thread that I cannot record Audulus patches like a Garageband instrument.
    http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1239/how-do-i-record-audulus-in-garagband-#Item_15

I know how to save self-playing patches as mp3's, but would like to know how to record a patch as I adjust its knobs, buttons, etc. Is there some software that I can do that with since I cannot with Garageband?
  • I had assumed that GarageBand would work like other DAWs and that it would be a simple matter to record a patch, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It's simple to set up a virtual instrument using the Audulus plugin, but the virtual instrument records a MIDI track not audio and there doesn't seem to be a way to override this behavior. I personally use Reaper as my DAW and you can use Audulus as a virtual instrument and record audio with no problem. I find Reaper to be be a very flexible and full featured DAW and it's a real bargain. There's a free demo available so you might want to give it a try.
  • After thinking about the problem and doing a bit of research I've come up with another alternative which will allow you to use GarageBand. There is a free utility called Soundflower that creates a virtual audio device for your Mac (https://www.fluxforge.com/blog/soundflower-os-x-10.11-10.12-macOS-sierra/). This allows you to route sound from one application to another. By using Soundflower I was able to open the Audulus app (not the plugin) and redirect its output to GarageBand. After installing Soundflower, go to system preferences/sound and choose Soundflower (2ch) as the system output device. Open GarageBand and in preferences/audio-midi set the input to Soundflower (2ch) and output to builtin output. Insert a new audio track and set its input to Soundflower (2ch) Open Audulus and load your patch. The output from Audulus should now appear as the input to the audio track in GarageBand. When you record, the audio from Audulus will be recorded. I tried it out this morning and it seems to work just fine. BTW the link I've posted is for a signed version of Soundflower which is required for current versions of macOS.
  • @ stschoen Thanks so much! It's exactly what I was looking for!

Edit: For some reason, it helps for me to have GarageBand output set to System Setting instead. Whatever