Is Audulus for me ?
  • Hi !

My Name is Nicolas,
    like most of you i'm a producer/sound designer, and like most of you i'm a technology enthusiast, always looking forward
    to experiment and try new stuff, i recently stumbled upon audulus and the interface got me really excited
    it looks really good and makes you wanna start patching right away but before i jump right in, i have few questions:

first things first, i'm a soft modular nerd, i use Reaktor, Tassman, and few other apps/vsts on a daily basis
    but the problem with most of the apps available today is either the lack of clear and intuitive GUI or the lack of possibilities.

So i see that Audulus has a workflow that looks fun to play with, but how limited are we ?
    i like to mangle sound, and in the module reference section on the website i didn't see any samplers or even audio input
    did i miss something ? or does Audulus only behave like a classical analogue modular ?

how about recent digital synthesis methods ?
    in the module list i didn't see any physical modeling generator, or spectral/additive/granular osc etc
    i see that you guys have created a big community around Audulus, and people are creating all sorts of modules,
    but what if i want to create mine, what does it takes ? do i have to code it ? or is there a more graphic way to do it ?
    for instance: Reaktor has a "Primary" section, that allows users to create modules/devices/instruments from scratch without a single line of code, is there something comparable in Audulus ?

just to make it clear:
    i'm not saying that Audulus is supposed to compare to stuff like Max, Reaktor or Kyma, or any low level/expensive
    DSP environnement, because it's clearly not the purpose here, but i'd just like to know what my options are before i buy it :)

anyway, i'm looking forward to hear from you guys !
    thanks again

• Hey @Nömak! Welcome to the Audulus forum :)

To your questions:

1) There is no sampling in Audulus right now. This is something that's coming in Audulus 4, but it will be very powerful. Above and beyond simple sample playback, you will be able to use samples to store wavetables, arpeggiator tables, and much more. The implementation is a huge undertaking, and we have several features to add before then, so that's why it's not included in 3. However, you can still mangle samples in Audulus using effects.

2) Audulus very much so behaves like a classic analog modular - especially the modules in the built-in library. The modules are made out of nodes, and the modules are formatted in a way that people familiar with Eurorack synths would find easy to understand - if you use Reaktor or Tassman, you'd be able to jump right in.

3) @Macromachines has physical modelling patches that are included in the forum user patch database - the internal library badly needs an update, but that's been put on hold while I update the documentation. There are some spectral, additive, and granular stuff in there as well.

http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/969/forum-patch-repository-updated-32617#Item_1

4) Do you have to code it? Not text coding, no - it's a visual programming environment. You can use expressions and lots of code-like processes to create things, but 98% of the math you'll do in Audulus is addition and multiplication, 1% is boolean logic, and the other 1% is everything else. Nodes can be packaged into a module (also called a subpatch) and you can rearrange the UI of the subpatch however you'd like, while hiding the "coding" inside.

5) If there are things that are missing in Audulus that you want, we can either add them to the list of feature requests, or we can build them with what's already there! :)

Let me know if you have any follow up questions!

• Thanks a lot for your answers !
    a good community is always nice,
    when you're trying to apprehend a new software
    (btw i wish you had a demo version available)

so for instance the link to all of the patches/sub-patches from Macromachines you sent me have been made by simple users, only using the architecture of Audulus, and without any text coding ?

about the audio input, does it work within the app or do i have to use the audio unit
    version of Audulus in my daw to make it work ?
    And with the app version, can i configure let's say a soundflower input/output ?
    so i can record my performances.

are you guys familiar with the Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression – or MPE ?
    if it's not in the current version of Audulus, would it be possible to have it implemented
    in the V4 ?

and last question: if i by the V3 now, will i have the upgrade to V4 for free ?

thank you a lot for taking the time to answer me !!

• @Nömak

"so for instance the link to all of the patches/sub-patches from Macromachines you sent me have been made by simple users, only using the architecture of Audulus, and without any text coding ? "

There is no explicit line-by-line text coding in Audulus. You can see a list of math operators here: http://docs.audulus.com/nodes/#math

It's visual programming though, so you make blocks that have inputs and outputs and you connect those together. It's very explicit, and you can put meters at each output to see what's happening.

"about the audio input, does it work within the app or do i have to use the audio unit
    version of Audulus in my daw to make it work ? "

You don't need a DAW to have audio input, and you don't need to use the plugin to have audio input. But it sounds like what you want to do is have a sampler in front of some effects - that would require either a DAW or a sampler, since there's no in-app sampling.

And yes for the app you can either record in any DAW on iOS, into Audioshare, or use the plugin to record, or use Soundflower to route from the app into a DAW.

MPE works but you can only have 4 note polyphony so far - @afta8 would know more about this. We're expanding functionality in the future though, especially when we do MIDI out.

Just like any other piece of software, updates are free and big upgrades are paid. We do lots of work getting each new version out and there's lots of continuing work that happens after. To be able to afford to continue development, we need a base of customers that will pay for upgrades. We do often discount it heavily in the first week it's released, but Audulus 4 won't be coming out for probably a year or so.
  • "There is no explicit line-by-line text coding in Audulus. You can see a list of math operators here: http://docs.audulus.com/nodes/#math"

ok ! so this software can totally be low level as well, that's amazing !!

and i think that will be my last question:
    do we need an external MIDI keyboard to be able to play it ?
    or can my computer's keyboard do the trick ?

"Just like any other piece of software, updates are free and big upgrades are paid. We do lots of work getting each new version out and there's lots of continuing work that happens after. To be able to afford to continue development, we need a base of customers that will pay for upgrades. We do often discount it heavily in the first week it's released, but Audulus 4 won't be coming out for probably a year or so."

and i 100% agree with it, i guess that's what it takes to keep the pricing low
    i just hope that there will be an upgrade plan for V3 users

thanks again for your answers !
  • @Nömak

"do we need an external MIDI keyboard to be able to play it ?
    or can my computer's keyboard do the trick ?"

There is an on-screen keyboard in the iOS version that is not in the computer version. There is no "musical typing" yet for the standalone, but you can host it as a plugin in any DAW that has musical typing and do it that way.

As for an "upgrade plan" the plan is to be aware when v4 is coming out and take advantage of the discount that will be available when it drops. There's no way to specifically give people who bought 3 a separate upgrade path - this is Apple's doing, not ours.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help ya with!
  • "You don't need a DAW to have audio input, and you don't need to use the plugin to have audio input. But it sounds like what you want to do is have a sampler in front of some effects - that would require either a DAW or a sampler, since there's no in-app sampling."

i'm sorry if i'm confusing, English isn't my first language,
    i'm just wondering if it's possible to use Audulus as an audio effect ?
  • @Nömak

Don't worry, the umlaut in your name said as much! lol

Yes, you can definitely use Audulus as an audio effect. Here's an example of a delay/spring reverb patch I made in Audulus:

• wow the sound is actually really nice, i'd say it sounds quite "alive"

how's Audulus responding to the velocity, can it receive OSC messages ?
  • @Nömak - thank you! I spent a lot of time tuning that patch to sound just right :)

Audulus gives you gate height out of the MIDI input, which sets the "velocity" of notes, or how high the attack portion rises in an envelope. OSC is a future addition, but on our radar :)
  • thanks for all of your answers !
    Audulus is on my shopping list now,
    i'm looking forward to not seeing the daylight for months haha

ps: i'm pretty sure all my questions are FAQ material !
  • Right on! Looking forward to see what you come up with :)
  • bought it today, i'm really liking the interface and the workflow feels pretty good too
    looks like Audulus is way more low level than i thought, which is both a good and a bad thing cause i actually have to learn it all haha,

anyway i wanted to download and install patches
    but the installation tutorial is for iphone/ipad and not the desktop version,
    how do i do it ? thanks !
  • @Nömak - http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/969/forum-patch-repository-updated-32617#Item_1 - instructions are at the top there.

Do you see patches beneath where people post about them? If not, you might have an adblocker on or something - try another browser.

This is a draft, but most of it still applies to desktop:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YBZgWX82pFC6eRuQ4jFRRjPWgaeQC6fQaLtT2MUGlHc/edit?usp=sharing

Also, check out the module library - that is very Eurorack-centric and more "high level" than just using nodes.

Finally, if you give us an idea of what you want to build, I can steer you in a direction of showing you how to do that.

Enjoy! :)
  • yes i can download the patches and use them, but i'd like them to be in with rest of my Audulus modules, and be able to manage/rearrange by browser for practical reasons !

i'm going to explore the beast, fortunately there's a really large number of posts
    explaining how to do most of the basic stuff, so i'll stick to that for now
    and won't hesitate to ask if i get stuck ! thanks
  • @Nömak If you open that folder, anything you drop in there will appear in the bottom of your right click menu. You can even have multiple folders for, say, your own custom patches vs. others' - folders will nest too.

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 3.17.35 PM.png
    232 x 179 - 24K
  • alright !

so far so good,
    creating basic synths are fairly easy, but using sequencers is really tricky,
    for instance, i recreated the 8 step sequencer from this tutorial successfully
    (tested with the waveform)

what what comes next is a complete mystery, no matter what i do i end up having
    nothing but bleep when trying to patch it to an osc ...
  • also, if i find an Eurorack patch made with modules that i want to use, is there a way to export them, without destroying the entire patch ?

sorry for the "noob" questions, but i'm only using Audulus since a couple of hours
    so i guess that's ok haha
  • Don't apologize for asking questions - I'm here to help! :)

Can you explain this a little more?

"if i find an Eurorack patch made with modules that i want to use, is there a way to export them, without destroying the entire patch ?"

What do you mean by "Eurorack patch" - do you mean a Eurorack clone module from the Eurorack section, or a patch that is several of the modules patched together?

Explain the signal flow of the synth/sequencer combo you want to make - do you want to do a bass sequence? A pad?

Also, uploading the patches in question will help answer your questions too.
  • when i load a patch form the community i sometimes stumble upon modules that would
    really help me build my own synths, so i'm coping the module and pasting it on a new template, then saving it, but i wonder if there's a better way to do that

and what i've been trying to do is playing with the random melody module,
    to create arps but i'm not quite sure how to do it

is there a way to go with all the sequencers in the module section ? or
    each one of them require a specific set of connections ?

thanks
  • i guess i'll have to spend a good week or two doing a lot of reverse engineering
    in order to get the basics properly
  • Look above at what I posted before - you can add patches to your personal library and they will show up in the right click menu. The "open modules folder" command under "Audulus" menu. Stick the things you like in a folder there and they will appear in your right click menu.

So are you saying you want to make a random melody generator that creates arpeggios based on the random pitch that is generated?
  • No, you don't - I just need to understand a little more about what you're asking for - I think I know what you want and it's very easy to build with the modules that are already there, but just explain to me something like "I want a subtractive synth voice that is doing random arpeggios with a filter and some delay" or something like that. I can whip it up in 10 mins!
  • ok,

so i'd like to make a polyphonic subtractive synth
    with a classic adsr control that would create a bpm-based 
random melody, with the help of a sequencer. Nothing really complicated for an experienced user

and maybe a little bit late when i’ll know Audulus a bit more:

i’d like the sequencer to have the option for generating 
polyrhythmic signatures, (maybe two osc would be necessary)

and for the melody i’d like to be able to chose from different
    scales : minor melodic, pentatonic etc

• Ok, I can make that - just a few follow ups:

1) Polyphony - how many?
    2) Do you want this to be keyboard controllable with a random arp sequencer, or a random sequencer that arps on each step?
  • i think 5 notes would be fine, but having a range from 5 to 10 would be really cool
    not keyboard controllable, i like to think of this patch like a instrument on its own
    a switch Poly/legato mode would be dope too
  • that's pretty close ! minus the arp section
  • what i had in mind was something like that
    at 2min30

but with more control over the tempo signature and the tonality
  • nothing quite comparable, but i made a really simple soundscape as a first patch
    it's not much but i had fun !
    to begin with.audulus
    7M
  • In Audulus you can finally have enough envelopes and LFO's :)
  • i still have a couple of questions:

can we use midi input for the Audulus (Effect)
    plugin ? for exemple: if i create a pitch-shifting effect
    or a physical model and i want to control it via MIDI is it possible ?

can we set a multitrack output ?
    for exemple: if i’m making a drum machine
    and i want each drums to go on a different channel
    in Ableton how can i do it ?

i heard about a possible audio integration
    inside Audulus, like a sampler or something
    will it be available soon ? or do we have to wait for v4 ?
    @biminiroad

thanks a lot
  • I think bimini road has said before that Audulus 4 will be when they introduce ableton link and the data node as well as other capabilities that make Audulus more like a DAW in the vein of a deconstructed bitwig.

The two big features that we have to look forward to soon are the multiple i/o for your audio interface and midi out. These will be great for people using ipads with the ES-8 module and people who want to use audulus primarily for its generative algorithmic capabilities.

I'm not sure if there was a timeline for an overhaul of the plugins (the AU is different in some regards from the VST) but Taylor is aware that people would like it to have more capability as a signal processor.
  • "as other capabilities that make Audulus more like a DAW in the vein of a deconstructed bitwig."

wow i haven't even picked up on that, that would be a whole new level, way above
    my expectations, i can wait to have my hands on it !
  • @RobertSyrett has this right - this along with a revolutionary new app that Taylor's working on right now will make Audulus a Bitwig/Ableton competitor, where you can make your own custom DAWs that are highly oriented towards live performance. I'm REALLY excited for the day we can use plugins with Audulus so I can, for example, use my UAD Moog filter inside Audulus!

Multitrack out will come soon, but I'm not sure how it's going to be implemented in the plugin (can you have a plugin with 16 Audio outs?). That would obviously be ideal, but I think most are just 2 channel out, no? To create a drum machine like that you'd have to do something where each channel has its own drum sound, own gate input, own audio output, and you use a different Audulus instance for each, and eventually when we have MIDI out, you can use a separate MIDI track that can sequence them over internal MIDI channels.
  • @biminiroad - with native instruments kontakt (VST) has multiple audio outputs.. and i m pretty sure reaktor aswell
  • @Phal_anx - awesome good to know! I'm sure Taylor's got it all figured out :) Excited to see what he's going to come up with!
  • "Multitrack out will come soon, but I'm not sure how it's going to be implemented in the plugin (can you have a plugin with 16 Audio outs?). That would obviously be ideal, but I think most are just 2 channel out, no?"

hmm some plugins do have multiple output, like Kontakt or Microtonic
    http://soniccharge.com/public/MicroTonic Separate Outputs.pdf?dl=20160609T205812

so yeah having for instance 16 dedicated output that we can route in
    different audio track would be awesome, i mean we don't have to
    have them in the standalone version, but in the AU one, that would be nice !

• I m pretty sure it will be something like that... 16 dedicated outputs to route in different audio tracks... i think its good to have this option in every version.. vst, au and standalone.. anyway, cant wait to get this feature :D