Audulus Live Eurorack QuNexus Workstation

I've recently been very inspired by Aphex Twin's early ambient stuff, and this songwriting tool is something that I'm using to write music in that vein. It's also going to be my go-to live performance platform with Audulus, and the subject of an upcoming tutorial video that explains the whole thing but with a bent on how to use analog filters with Audulus using the Expert Sleepers ES-8.

I'm using my Eurorack filters for two synth voices: one for a pad/arp combo, and one for bass. I'm building a performance rig in Audulus that does everything I want to be able to play guitar live along with my synths. The goal is for it to be relatively hands-free if I want it to be, only pressing button or two between solos.

Though this is developed around what *I* want to do live, and it assumes a certain kind of Eurorack set up (ES-8 & at least 3 filters), you can certainly use it for yourself, and I hope you'll find it a fun songwriting tool.

It's centered around the Keith McMillen QuNexus that I have. It uses each key as a specific control. Though designed for the QuNexus, you can use this patch with any keyboard as long as it has 2 octaves C to C.

1 - The first 7 black keys are for seven stored chords.
    2 - The last 3 black keys are for queuing chord sequences.
    3 - The first 7 white keys are for harmonized bass sequences that play along with the chords.
    4 - The last 8 white keys are mutes for individual parts (pad, arp, bass, and 5 drum sounds).

Pad/Arp
    1 - QU-Bit Chord-like chord voicing (pictured above) - just dial it in till it sounds good! No music theory required.
    2 - Thick saw-based pad with modulation sounds to the high heavens (see this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BR1KHYNA0zP/ )
    3 - An arpeggiator synth that you can crossfade with the pad that harmonizes with the chords you're playing.

Bass
    1 - Thick waveshaping bass oscillator
    2 - Some kind of easy algorithmic generative sequencer thing that requires little programming (still in the works) that harmonizes with the chords being played.

Drum Machine
    1 - All new drum sounds
    2 - Easy quick programming, probably something similar to QU-Bit's Rhythm

Visual
    1 - The key visual component will be (CPU gods allow) a full 88-light display that shows, color coded, what notes the bass, pad, and arp are playing simultaneously.

Overall: Remarkably light CPU usage for everything that it does. The chord voicing and pad system only takes up 8% of my Mac Mini. Most of the CPU usage will come from the 20+ oscillators it needs to run. Goal is to have it work on an iPhone 5 (though I'll be personally using it with my computer since I do some post-effect processing with UAD plugins). Will have it done and performance ready by the next synth meet in Asheville, and the tutorial video will follow shortly.

I'm sharing this in case everyone out there has some ideas that might be fun to implement! Thanks :)
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 2.10.53 AM.png
    547 x 709 - 148K
  • Updated with keyboard lights - these will flash and fade according to their individual envelopes - should be a nice light show!

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 5.03.22 AM.png
    925 x 741 - 178K
  • I'm looking forward to seeing the blinking lights!
  • That's super cool, it's exciting to see these little hardware devices put to use in other people's music making processes.
  • @demcanulty - thanks! :) More to come soon - it's constructed in a way that you'll be able to clip parts out easily too, so if you just want the chord thing or just want the keyboard light thing, that will be "modular" in a sense.
  • wow nice one!