Pithoprakta: Probabilistic Rhythm Generator
  • One part Turing Machine, one part drum machine, one part rainbow.

Here's Phal_anx's start on the clone:

https://ironether.com/modules/pithoprakta/
    http://ironether.com/wp-content/uploads/iePithoprakta-manualforprint.pdf

Fun Fact: This module was named after a Iannis Xenakis piece from the 1950's!
    Pithoprakta.audulus
    3M
  • a little update ;) attach a clock and play around with the knobs 1/8 to get some rythmic gate outputs...
    Pithoprakta.audulus
    3M
  • Lol, me too!

I guess we'll make two versions. I'm naming mine "Bohor" after another Xenakis piece:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 12.36.03 PM.png
    689 x 632 - 64K
    Iron Ether Pithoprakta.audulus
    2M
  • ;) i dont know how i will name mine yet :D
  • i read in the manual the div´s are only on 5/6/7/8 ;) 1-4 should be still in normal mode
  • I was going off of the DivKidVideo description, not sure which is right.
    https://youtu.be/uRH0CDeoV2M?t=54s
  • this is the video i got the idea from :)
    ahh no i was wrong

from the manual:

When the Div toggle switch is set to the
    right, Divider mode is engaged. All of the
    above remains true in this mode, except
    that each output is now clocked by a
    different division/offset of the input clock.
    From left to right, the columns of outputs
    are divided-by-two, divided-by-four,
    divided-by-eight, and divided-by-sixteen.
    The upper four channels receive oddnumbered
    clocks, while the lower outputs
    receive even-numbered clocks.
  • Oh good, I think that's how I have it set up.
  • This is a module that will loop the previous 1-16 steps, looks like I'll need a 64-step version, but that's a good start.
    RHS SampleLOOP16.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 4.06.58 PM.png
    1739 x 897 - 175K
  • very nice :)
  • I think 16 steps is already enough but if you want to clone it as close as possible 64 steps are needed...
  • I tend to agree, although I have done the tedious part of the 64-stage sample and loop. The tricky part now is to figure out how to make it play the previous x number of steps as opposed to whatever is in the buffer at the time you start looping. I'm still working on that.

edit: I'll post the version I am working on in case you wanted to have a go at it. Even when it's fucked up it's still kind of fun as a modulation source, especially if you crank up the rate of sampling, it's like we are backwards engineering a record module.... This would be so much easier with a record node.
    RHS SAMPLE AND LOOP 64.audulus
    5M
    RHS SampleLOOP16.audulus
    1M
  • i agree... there are many things which could be implemented to do things easier but it also could take some fun out of it! I m having a hard time to understand how it works as i never had anything to do with boolean logic, or electronics etc.. but its very interesting to take the moduls other´s created and look how/why it works :) All modules I have created so far, are results from several modules that I have downloaded.. learning in taking other´s moduls apart :D
    I also tried to combine your looper with the clone but i also didnt have any luck..
    btw thanks for the 64steps Looper.. its def useful for future projects ;)
    I played around with your clone (i rebuild it in a new project)
    ...here is a simple beat with it :D

1.png
    1023 x 750 - 138K
    beat.audulus
    7M
  • I like the simple beat!

I think I figured out how to get the repeat working properly for the 16-step version and integrated it into my Bohor Module. I quantized the steps to 2, 4, 8, and 16 as well so this could be optomized as a 4/4 beat-maker. Check out the demo patch varying the clock tempo up when you divide beat, and using some channels to mute others so you get gate-burst type of sounds. Also, try connecting the CV out to the loop length knob and some other parameter on some sound, then hit the loop on switch, you can get some glitched out sounds.

Feedback where to go next would be appreciated.

One thing that is in Pithoprakta that I have omitted is that you can introduce change into the loop. I can see how that would be cool on the module, but I'd probably have to start from scratch on the loop sampler.
    BOHOR DEMO.audulus
    10M
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 12.13.23 PM.png
    1768 x 610 - 193K
  • I think 16steps are enough.. 64 steps are not really necessary. also the "change in the loop" option is something which could be nice to have but without it is still a nice tool.

I will play around with it for a while and let you know what i think. but if it works so far why should you change it again ;)
  • tested it for some time with different settings, sounds.. thanks for sharing!

i really like it.. sounds in many ways similar as in some of the yt test videos of the hardware. great job! btw i still think its not necessary to have 64steps or the change in loop option but this features could be a nice touch.. depends if you still want to invest time in a modul which is already great at this point.
    I still have alot of ideas which moduls could be done.. so if you search for some inspiration let me know ;)
  • I added to your 16 looper, copied over the sample and holds which freeze when you press a button but the original ones keep recording. The sample and holds can be directly muxed to play the loop. Is that what you were after?
    RHS SampleLOOP16.audulus
    2M
    rhs 16 looper.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 141K
  • The thing that the module does is when looping you still have a probability of changing what's in the loop. So I guess I would put a probability gate ((expr node like probability
    I like your mod, Jimbo! Effectively it is now a double looper. Makes me think there is a lot of things that can be done in a different direction, like making a loop from another loop and then crossfading the two.
  • In the manual, it said that it records at all times, that's why I thought of it, for all I know, for some deeper functionality. I was thinking off possibilities too. that it could be used for the divided mode, on/off beats, it could be activated on one set, live or looped and played in addition, but I digress, I'll hold back this time, I've only just got my head around the metropolis and am amazed how good it is and how the clone came together. I'm doing my own project but I'll set aside some time to have a look at these now. My project is a ratchet sequencer I already tested a prototype but I'm just taking time to try and implement it in a better way after learning from what I've seen here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!