Makenoise Dual Prismatic Oscillator.
  • now thats a tool :) btw... thanks for the wavefolder tool... will implement it into my current OSC :D and i will kick out the pm to get real FM going :)
  • I found a video of how waveshaping works on the endorphines furthurrr complex oscillator
  • Yet another video:

I made some basic waveforms based on what the oscilloscope shows.

This might be a good project to have two versions, one with standard "osc" nodes and one with funky analog modeled phasor nodes. Perhaps there can be analog "slop" knob added that crossfades between squonky and mathematically accurate. From the video it seems like there are pitch-tracking inconsistencies.

The manual even makes the same point, "The STO is a 100% analog musical instrument that is not suitable for laboratory use."
    DPO Basic Waveforms.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 2.24.33 PM.png
    939 x 669 - 88K
  • https://youtu.be/btBb0z4n1Kw

I think the wave shape/folding is coming along nicely now that I know what the "angle" part of the DPO is doing. I should say at this point I'm not even bothering to make it an exact replica but rather my take on a dual oscillator in the grand tradition of complex dual oscillators Buchla started in the 1960's.
  • Ok! Here's my Refracting Twin Oscillator. The cross fm is internally routed so all you have to do to make sounds is connect the outputs and turn knobs, or plug in a sequencer of your choice and LFOs to all the knobs and enjoy the mayhem.

edit: I found some errors in how the FM is calculated that I need to fix, so I'm taking it down for the time being.
    IMG_0024.JPG
    1248 x 1968 - 244K
  • amazing tool :)
  • TY. It could possibly need more blinking lights though...
  • hehehee... i noticed already u love blinking lights!
  • The number of blinking lights is a major consideration for me when buying eurorack modules.
  • totally understandable.. it looks better when stuff is happening :D
  • this is sick AF!!! please make a demo patch for me to play with, i really like what you come up with :) Also we definitely had a bump in new users after your 0-Toast patch! If you have a youtube page you want to promote or something, you can post it there and i'll refer blogs to it so you get the views and not me - I literally just posted that cause I wanted to play with it and wanted something quick to put up on social media that day - it EXPLODED! I'm sure this would go the same way. Also, I cleared the history and the patch went down to 4mb, incase you want to do that too.

PS: We're going to switch to a new file format soon that won't be human readable like the one that's there now, but it will be MUCH smaller. Like this patch might be a few kb, not 22mb. We're also talking cloud storage so people can upload to the cloud and just share patches with a link!
  • @biminiroad I'll tell you what, I have a friend with a DPO. I'll go record oscilloscope footage of a DPO and the RTO for comparison.

edit: also, no promises that a complex oscillator generates hype like an emulation of one of the most popular desktop modulars. ;)
  • @robertsyrett - that would be AWESOME!
  • Well I have a DPO now, so this has led me to rethink some of the things I was doing with the RTO. In fact I am scrapping it and starting over. But probably by the end of the week, I will have a much more accurate facsimile of the DPO and I will also make my own fantasy double oscillator.

Here is a template for cross modulation that I am pretty comfortable with. It has the advantage that you can pretty easily swap out the internal oscillators for your own personal favorites :)
    Dual Osc FM Bus.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 9.49.00 PM.png
    733 x 468 - 82K
    Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 9.49.14 PM.png
    1365 x 1011 - 195K
  • Well I've been keeping at it over these past months but I'm having trouble with the normalized inputs. They are the ones down at the bottom, which are actually knobs being masked by SVGs.

@stschoen if you connect a value node to the output of one of the oscillators and a modulation source into a normalized input it will jump to 78987.99e10 or something like that

edit: removed the patch as it is a broken version of the HBO.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 8.54.03 AM.png
    629 x 531 - 78K
    01-996x900.jpg
    996 x 900 - 164K
  • Impressive piece of work. It looks like driving the knob outside it's configured range via a modulator introduces some kind of instability in the phasor node. I haven't been able to narrow down exactly what causes things to go haywire, but I'm afraid that this approach to creating a normalized input is probably too flaky to depend on. Oh well, back to the drawing board. It was definitely a hack in any case. BTW I really like your graphics, particularly the "normalized" inputs.
    Edit 1:13: Fooled around with your patch and dug down to the phasor that was bonkers. Closed it, tried to recreate it in a fresh patch, failed, restarted Audulus, re-downloaded your patch and now I can't get it to fail again. Very mysterious.
  • Oh well. I guess I will put in some switches below the previously normalized inputs and just make them a toggle for the time being.

The visuals are still quite underdeveloped. Fortunately the DPO has those black boxes over the normalized inputs so they made a convenient mask for the phantom knobs ;) I'm planning framing the knobs over on the left and making an arrow graphic for the follow knob. Also everything will be spaced more evenly.

Speaking of follow, that is the one function I haven't gotten around to modeling. It's a vactrol-based circuit that allows you to apply the VPO input on oscillator b to control oscillator a to varying degrees. Not sure how to approach that yet, but I got some ideas.

• I wondered what that did. That's quite a beast.

OK! I think this is about as good as I can get for a dual complex oscillator based around the DPO. The big differences are aliasing at high frequencies, this is a thru-zero FM set up, and there are switches on the fm inputs instead of normalized jacks. Also, I couldn't figure out how to make a PLL for "Lock" mode, so that's more of a pitch tracking algorithm with added randomness. Other than that I think this is pretty close. I will try and get some oscilloscope waveform comparisons up on youtube over the weekend.

Please let me know if you find any bugs, so I can fix them, or any suggest any improvements. Thank you to @stschoen for sorting out the SVG import tool and clarifying the FM implementation.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 7.42.15 AM.png
    716 x 397 - 30K
    Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 7.44.13 AM.png
    1707 x 1041 - 295K
    RHS HBO.audulus
  • Super cool!
  • Ooh I'm gonna be playing with this one a lot me thinks. Thanks!
  • Absolutely fantastic!
  • @stschoen @Audioneiromancer @Dantveita [thanking hands emoji] [rock on hand emoji] [new moon with weird face emoji]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!