Arpeggiator
  • i tried to recreate a pseudo arpeggiator which i used some years ago in synthedit. somehow it won't work. is this method completely wrong for audulus? i added also the screenshots from synthedit for a better understanding. what do i miss here.. :)
    1.png
    1021 x 765 - 103K
    Pseudo Arp.audulus
    2.png
    657 x 537 - 63K
    3.png
    777 x 488 - 67K
  • @biminiroad - can you pls move this discussion over to the help section.. i chose the wrong categorie
  • How is this patch designed to fit into a typical synth patch with a midi keyboard out and an oscillator in?
  • Also, I would love how to figure out how to get a two-octave inversion pattern worked out for an arpeggiator.
  • this version worked in synthedit as mentioned.. normally u give it a gate signal so it knows when to start.. its similar to a sequencer.. the output should be on the hz/pitch input of the osc... but this doesnt work... meanwhile i found out that the quantize modul, arp step modul dont work as intended... about the 2oct option -> you can decide if the arp should go up 1 octave only or 2 octaves... this works now aswell..
    here is a patch with it, where it works... but its def not how it is intended to run.. normally it would be connected directly into to hz input which dont work..
    arptest.audulus
    3M
  • I will check out your patch in a sec, but I made a basic arpeggio as I imagine it works in Audulus. It lacks a lot of features, but it could be a starting point.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 7.29.25 PM.png
    1766 x 1005 - 236K
  • I see, you aren't arpeggiating incoming chor data from a keyboard, you just want to generate arpeggios from a single incoming note. Sort of like the transposable sequencer on the Arturia Keystep or Moog Sub 37?
  • yes it should be a modul which takes the gate signal to be in sync and output an apreggio to modulate the pitch of an osc.. its called pseudo arp.. at least the original creator of the synthedit modul called it so :)
  • the difference now is that i canonly connect it to the oct knob on my osc´s directly which i dont want, cause it will start from the bottom.. when i play a note on the keyboard it should play the arp based on the incoming note... in synthedit it did... here its different in need to find out how to adapt it... :D
  • anyway.. i will now lie down for some hours... need to rest.. :D its 5am here
  • btw the reason why want to create this modul is that planning to clone the optocontroller at some point.
  • i made a mistake in my osc now the arp works on different notes when using the midi keyboard node instead of the 1 button thingy.. the arp step is still non function, cause i need to find out where i need to attach it

arptest.audulus
    3M
  • What would the arp step do ideally?

Attached is what I understand to be the basic design. the up/down and auto-reverse on the counter are the same as the /, \, & /\ on your module. More patterns could be added to the patch and then put on a switch that is connected to a knob.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 7.53.43 AM.png
    951 x 750 - 105K
    PseudoArp.audulus
  • the arp step lets you choose how many steps/notes are played... until it reaches the top note... hope you understand what i mean :) the rest works fine for me already
  • Do you want to stick with the method of just modulating the quantized course tune knob on the oscillator?
  • what would be the other method?
    i need to try your patch later :)
    Do you know optocontroller? it has build in arps (10 types).. this is why i m playing around with the arp modul... i want to make an quattrocontrol instead of opto but i still need a working arp for this... i think the build in arps of optocontroller working in another way.. maybe like your patch.. sadly there is not proper explanation about it
  • Octocontroller you mean? Should we try to clone that? I was converting the hz into 1/oct, then adding the arp pattern, and converting back again, and putting the signal into an oscillator.
  • yea my mistake i mean the octocontroller :)
    i want to clone it but i think i would be better to start with 4 instead of 8 and if the cpu doesnt get to high with 4 then it would be possible to do 8 outs... if you want to help me its cool!

ahhh thats how you do it... i tried it with hz into 1/oct with the scale quantizer in between and i shot my moduls (white connections)... i know i did something wrong when i tried it :D
  • Sometimes you just get white cables. I'm still expanding on my basic arpeggiator patch, I made some major/minor scales and a major triad. I will have to do some research on the octocontroller also, but I have an appointment to keep, so it will have to wait a bit.
  • this project will take some time for sure... as it has many options in 1 modul
  • I might as well post what I have so far to see if the depth knob is what you were thinking with the arp step. there are only 3 patterns, so above that there will be no arpeggiating.
    PseudoArp2600 PolyPro .audulus
    1M
  • arpstep could be described as depth.. you patch is nice! exactly what i planned to create.
  • i already recognized that i have to learn alot to create moduls with audulus. but i love it... atm audulus is about 70% of my free time :D
  • >exactly what i planned to create.

sweet!

>atm audulus is about 70% of my free time

I know the feeling.
  • @Phal_anx - the white connections are NaNs - runaway infinity numbers usually created by feedback.

Can you describe a little more about what you want this arpeggiator to do? Having trouble puzzling out the diagram you posted.
  • a better way to decribe arp step is:
    if you play e.g. C3 with the arp step option "each note" it will play each note from c3 to lets say c5 if this is the top note where the arp ends... so you can choose how many notes will be played inbetween bottom and top note... i think octoctroller has fixed arps in it so its not a big deal if this option isnt working..
  • @biminiroad - i want to clone the octocontroller :D which has many functions in 1 modul... an arpeggiator is one of those functions

http://www.abstractdata.biz/products/eurorack/3x/ade32/

its a big project what def will take some time to finish it but why start small hahaha

about the pictures... i made screenshots of my pseudoarp from synthedit... this is how its connected there... but Robert´s way is much better and more realistic

btw i dont know how it could create a feedback when the connections only went 1 way... sometimes it does wierd things on my end if i try to convert from hz to 1/oct and back :D
  • "btw i dont know how it could create a feedback when the connections only went 1 way... sometimes it does wierd things on my end if i try to convert from hz to 1/oct and back :D"

can you show me a pic of what this looks like? It might have to do with the log function in there...
  • @biminiroad - i m pretty sure i do it wrong. on the 3rd pic you can read nan in the last node but this is a dead end (its there to show the current oct on the front panel.. why does this make a problem? btw i just tried to quantizer without a big plan... just trial and error kinda working :D as i dont have (much) experience, still learning.. so maybe what i did is just a total noobie thing haha

btw if you have some nice links to learn about boolean, log etc.. i would be pleased.. i didnt find much for absolut beginners
    1.png
    1018 x 760 - 71K
    2.png
    1022 x 764 - 145K
    3.png
    1019 x 755 - 121K
  • Yay, I hope the work on the arp goes well, excited! Would like to build one too, but even if I have experience in 3d based visual programming...it will take me a while, til the your arp is ready :-D
  • @Jayzen - i m also a very beginnner.. learning like crazy atm ;) I downloaded almost every patch in this forum and try to figure out how the work by reverse engineering..
    also here you get alot of help from Mark aka Biminiroad and others who are active in this forum.. ;) just keep trying and you will soon build massive moduls and patches by yourself...

Btw the arp is pretty much on hold right now cause i cant quite figure out how to implement the arpstep feature.. also this is just a pseudo arp.. it works with lfo´s
  • Well, it seems like I can't use a quantizer in a patch because converting from 1/oct to Hz creates a white cord... I think it was this same bug? Is it still the case for you, @phal_anx?
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 3.50.42 PM.png
    553 x 354 - 43K
  • @RobertSyrett - exactly what happened to me..
  • How utterly frustrating not to be able to do basic conversion...
  • It sounds like you guys maybe have a keyboard node plugged into the quantizer? If so, this is a known issue because when the keyboard node starts up, the default output for Hz is 0. This in the log equation creates a NaN. I'll fix it in the keyboard module, but I also let taylor know that maybe the default low value for the Keyboard node should be 20Hz so it doesn't interfere. Does that make sense?
  • I wasn't using the keyboard node, but it wasn't connected to anything so it would have zero input to it. so clamping the input at .000001 should do the trick?

and why is this only sometimes a thing for me and always for phal_anx?
  • @robertsyrett Yep - and dunno, would have to see the patches where it only sometimes happens vs. the patches where it always happens.
  • Yeah, that's definitely the problem. I would recommend updating the o2Hz node in a library update.
  • yea from time to time i create a NaN :D but in the arp it happened all the time... as soon as i wanted to convert Hz-1/o for the quantizer.. without the conversion it didnt create a NaN but the quantizers didnt work at the same time... right now the arp is on hold on my side... i mostly try to upgrade / simplify my current working moduls. cause many of them create very high cpu usage.
  • I think this fixes the issue
    RHS Hz2o.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 7.14.45 PM.png
    483 x 410 - 47K
  • @RobertSyrett - yep, it did.. now i dont get a NaN.. which means i will start again on the arp next days :)
  • @Phal_anx - I sort of skimmed this post, looking for a good place to post my arpeggiator. It's pretty simple, you just poke the notes you want played, and it plays them up or down for you. I should put an up/down... Anyways, I hope this is helpful to you. Again, I made it and then found this thread, so hopefully it's relevant.

It's also more complex than it should be. This is due to my ideas for different features in the future. It'd be cool to add a non-repeating random number generator to it, for example. Doing so would be easy.

Not that anyone was asking, but getting poly values out of the keyboard may be impossible above a given number. At best, you can maybe do 4. (Unless there's an update I don't know about.) it would be great to have some sort of poly-stripper to access all that data.

Launch Code.audulus
  • @SteveX - I will have a look at it ;)