The flippin' gate phrase sequencer
  • My first module!: The flippin' gate phrase sequencer.

It's connected to a converted RHS sequencer control which is linked for internal functionality. The phrase unit uses an lfo to control the flip of the gate from the main sequencer. The combinations of tempo in the main sequencer and trigger unit brings varied rhythmical effects. There are 3 main phase cycles in the phrase sequencer, one cycling the triggering gate lfo and two cycling lfos with cyclical oscillator tuning in mind. All the cycles are fully controlled and are tempo linked to all the lfos keeping the timing tight. as a result, the lfos are scaled to the phrases and keep the general riff when changing time signatures. This was just accidental but it works well as is keeps a cohesive riff going over a long period of time. As the lfos are tempo linked, there is huge detail in the smallest turn of the lfo knobs, a resolution of 256, each giving a tiny progressive adjustment. Inside there is a switch if you really want, to turn tempo linking from the phrases to the master hz cycle. This will loose it's cohesiveness with the cycles but will still be synced to the main clock.

Once the phrasing, lfo tuning and threshold lfo is set up, the instrument can be played, once you get used to it, using the oscillator lfos for tunage, the gate flip threshold and it's envelope for rhythm.

There's lots of tricks when bringing the master sequencers tempo down. Free the gate select from the control sequencer to stop it resetting at the start of the control sequencers cycle and let it just cycle, until the phrase cycle is up of course, I haven't worked out how long it goes on for but just multiply it more if need be. I've had some crazy rhythms coming out of this thing. Careful not to reattach the gate select trigger if you have something after experimenting because you may never get it back!

To say I'm having a great time with this program would be a huge understatement, am looking for inspiration for my next experiment...

the flippin' gate phrase sequencer.audulus
    11M
    the flippin' gate phrase sequencer demo.audulus
    12M
    the flippin gateway phrase sequencer.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 215K
  • whoa...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • What the... This looks like you could make a whole performance with this sequencer, really interesting concept! Also I really like your LED color choices, it reminds me of the 4MS Multi-band resonator interface.
  • The colours are connected to the 3 phrase cycles which is why they get brighter and darker and I just chose the combination I thought worked best.

It was linking the lfos to the cycles that give it the liveliness and precision, I just multiplied the phase cycle hertz by a knob value to feed in to the lfo hertz. The knob value is multiplied by 256. I would have doubled that but there wasn't enough resolution in the knobs to be able to pick up all the cycles. I think it's enough tho.

I found a bug already, the cycle length mechanism needs to be fixed. I'll do that after my brain's had a holiday. So for now, be aware that when the main clock counts all the way through the cycle, all the phrase clocks are re triggered which is not such a bad thing, with the gate select lead plugged in from the control sequencer, all the clocks are reset anyway when the control sequencer goes back to the beginning. It's just when you free it so it doesn't re trigger, insane things can start to happen that you don't get from re triggering when experimenting in conjunction the master tempo, so it does need updating.
  • Wow is right.
  • I got the idea from you, Robert, talking about the intellijel and the 4 trigger modes. You were gravitating your thread away from the counting clock mechanism to studiously exploring ideas and I didn't want to butt in with my clock counting rave machine... I thought about the four trigger modes and thought "why not have one variable point instead so it could be modulated". That's why the mod input is there for other options. the variable I opted for was something familiar, an lfo. I then went ahead to fold/divide the hz from the master clock to create the phrased measures and the fast trigger, the lfos for tuning, then linking the lfos to either their cycle clocks or just the master hertz clock for the riff timing to fit. It was trial and experimentation all the way.
    Am happy people are liking it.
  • The calibration has been set up properly, more detail in the threshold, layed out better inside, few small fixes. The light display has been altered. If it's too trippy, unplug the value at the top of the light section.
    the flippin' gate phrase sequencer r2.audulus
    19M
  • @Jimbo - cool tool :)
  • It was a nice surprise how it turned out. It's a nice size on the ipad too I should think. I'll leave that how it is. I've got it spread out on a board now, with pugix quantussy, check out the patch!
    quantussy flipper board.audulus
    24M
  • I could really listen to that all day.
  • It's like listening to a maestro, will have to look at some sounds or am thinking of adding percussion or some noise or something, thinking how it would all work but I need to pay some attention to my life ...just after I've raised the max trigger speed up a bit...
  • I might record a bit of multi-tracking with that, I've had it on in the background for almost an hour now.
  • I made quantussy lfo 1 the "castle" lfo, and its connected to the trigger. seems to make sense.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!