Completely noob here...
  • I've been experimenting with Audulus 3 and I love the concept... But I accept it, there's a lot of things I don't understand. I studied music some years ago, and have some electronics basic skills. I've tried the tutorial, and the explanations are very clear, but sometimes I found like a huge jump between one chapter to the next one (example: Build Podcast #4 it is very simple, but the next one it is complicated and there's no follow). Or the examples are using the iPad version and I can't find the same modules, like for example the Sine LFO in the video Audulus 2 Minute Tip - 3: How to Make a Vibrato Effect (for this one I used this example: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/899/how-to-think-in-audulus-lfo-building-universal-lfos/p1 to get the vibrato **See picture below**). My question: It is there any step-by-step tutorial out there focused on Macbook users? Thanks for the help.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 6.18.39 PM.png
    1440 x 900 - 113K
  • The documentation is getting really fleshed out, and I'm thinking of just going ahead and releasing it in its incomplete state on the forum so people can check out what I have so far and give some feedback - but it's a big undertaking.

However, if you have specific questions about how to build this or that, just reply here and I'll send a patch that will show you how to do it with some explanations in there as well.

Vibrato is done much more easily now with the "o" signal, which is a linearized pitch scale. The way you're doing it there, the vibrato effect will be strong in lower octaves and less noticeable in higher ones. If you use a linearized pitch scale, it will sound equally warbly across all octaves.

See the attached patch for info about that.
    Vibrato Example.audulus
  • @biminiroad crowdsourcing that documentation, it will still be a good reveal over at Moog fest.

@jaisaki would you be interested in a "know your nodes" type of YouTube series, that just overviews a node and some ways you can use it in a patch? I keep thinking about making one while out on my bike rides, but figure it might be redundant with Mark's stuff.
  • @robertsyrett - i bet you could come up with some great stuff! i'll upload the documentation soon so people can take a peek at it :)
  • @biminiroad Would be amazing! :) Thank you! I am still opening the forum if there is any update.
  • Linearized pitch scale... I know what pitch and what scale means, but I have no idea of what that means in combination with linearized. LOL. Maybe this is too much for me.
  • You are doing a good work sir... But my level of ignorance is too much. LOL.
  • @Jaisaqui - did you check out the patch I uploaded here? Look at it and let me know if you have further questions :)

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 12.56.27 PM.png
    668 x 493 - 98K
  • @Phal_anx Thx. I understood the concept but not how to apply it on this context.
    @RobertSyrett That's a great idea.
    @biminiroad I understand some things on that file, but you have raised more questions... LOL. For example, why do you multiply the Vibrato Amount by itself? Trying different values gave me an idea, but just to be sure. What does m*2-1 means into the m2a sub-patch? I tried different values and it looks like the m*2 controls the amplitude of the signal and the -1 its position from zero on the waveform. Am I right? Thanks again for your answers guys. Everything looks so interesting and fun...
  • The Vibrato Amount control gets squared (multiplied by itself) to give the control an exponential curve. If a 0-1 control is linear, when set halfway, the knob reads .5. If it's squared, it will read .25. Check out the attached patch. Exponential controls allow you to dial in subtle or small changes for the first half of the knob twist while still covering the same range as a linear knob.

The m2a patch takes a 0-1 signal and turns it into a -1 to 1 signal.

m*2-1 = a
    (0 to 1)*2 = 0 to 2
    (0 to 2)-1 = -1 to 1

You need to do this with a vibrato effect because you want the pitch to waver around the 0 point, which is your base pitch. If it's going between 0-1, it will shift the whole pitch range upwards. Vibrato wavers the pitch above and below the base pitch. Make sense?

Exponential Control Example.audulus
  • Here's a comparison patch that shows you the difference between these two methods.
    Vibrato Linear vs. Exponential Comparison.audulus
  • Haven't checked the attachment, but makes sense... Too much sense. Thank you. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!