Cloning eurorack (i.w. makenoise 'maths' function generator) and others?
  • Hi Guys,

I saw traffic a while back on someone thinking of cloning a makenoise maths... did anyone finish that? I use it in my hardware all the time and just realised it would be handy in audulus.

Also, does anyone have a list of other eurorack stuff developed here?

cheers
  • Finished? No. But I have been working on it for myself. The main differences are that you have to toggle to get channels 2 & 3 to be offsets vs attenuverters, changing the log/exp doesn't affect the rate, and I can't figure out how the inputs on 1 and 4 work as slew limiters. I don't own a maths so I am working off youtube videos. Your feedback as a Maths owner would be greatly appreciated.

Other eurorack clones? I posted a version of Warmstar Audio's "The Bends" a few weeks ago. There is a "5ms" Rotating clock divider. What would you like to see? Also check out the "Eurorack Corner" thread over in off topic. :)
    Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 8.51.06 AM.png
    411 x 525 - 71K
    RHS DUO FUNC.audulus
  • Hi Robert. Thanks for this - will definitely look into it. I am a bit of a novice with audulus - so am unlikely to be much help. However, do you know of the Maths illustrated manual? (i.e. not from makenoise): https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63068
    This from the 'slew' section: 'A signal applied to the Signal IN, is slewed according
    to the RISE and FALL parameters. Variable response
    from Log thru Linear to Exponential, is as set by the
    VariResponse panel Control. The resulting function
    may be further processed with attenuation and/ or
    inversion by the Attenuator Panel Control.'

you're about 'toggling' - maths is only an attenuverter when there is an input, otherwise it acts as an offset as far as i understand, I guess there is some kind of normalling going on in the input section?
  • >you're about 'toggling' - maths is only an attenuverter when there is an input, otherwise it acts as an offset as far as i understand, I guess there is some kind of normalling going on in the input section?

Exactly, there isn't a normalizing node in Audulus (since unlike a hardware module it is so simple to just change the inner working of the module on the fly) so I made it a switch between the channel input and an offset sing offsets are so handy when making a summed output between a positive and negative function.

I did actually download the manual, when I was trying to understand how the OR output worked. I have tried to picture how using the slew limiter would work according to rise and fall of the function generator but am still muzzy on how to implement it. Fortunately, if you need a slew limiter, there is a simple one in the module library under utilities. So adding that functionality would be 100% just aesthetic as far as I can tell.

One other difference is that when you patch an output from the individual channel out, it does not remove the corresponding signal from the summed output. That's related to the no normalizing node situation ATM.

On a side note, what I have often found is that it is often better to clone aspects of eurorack modules as their own modules since in the hardware world you need to have lots of functionality folded into a small amount of space because that's all there is. In Audulus you can cut and paste so having 4 rows of CV on your sequencer is a little redundant to just having 4 single-row sequencers. If you look inside the Maths clone I made, you will find two function generators that are fine to use on their own.
  • Bookmark. For whatever reason, I've been fascinated with slope gens and this presents a super useful schematic. Will check back in with questions soon. Thanks, fuzz/Robert.
  • @RobertSyrett - I need to say i tried your maths clone and you can do pretty cool stuff with it already.. hope you will finish it 1 day :D
  • I humbly thank you for your feedback!
  • Robert, this is really great work. Lately, I've been studying the node layout of the sub-patch "FUNC ENV". Could you explain a bit about how this slope generator works? Maybe a bit of description about its internal workings would help me to better formulate questions?
  • Sure! There is a phasor oscillator that has a long cycle. So I made a rising waveform based on the value of the phasor, which just outputs 1 after it finishes it's cycle. That triggers the falling cycle which is based on the the time after the end of rise and then outputs 1. The end of fall also pings the sync of the phasor and it restarts the cycle if cycle is enabled. You can create two pulse waves based on the end of rise and end of fall modules and multiplex the two waves together and waveshape it with the curve module (which is hidden in the knob modify module under modules>math>knob). I also made a 1-shot envelope tuned to the output of the length of the cycle so that you can use it as an envelope generator as well as a LFO.

There was a lot of trial and error involved in the creation of the module, so the inside is a bit of spaghetti. Once you understand the basic premise thought you can probably made a more elegant version for yourself.

Attached is a version of the FUNC ENV with some waveform displays inside too help show what I'm talking about.
    Function ENV.audulus
  • This was my attempt at FUNCTION(see bottom for link)
    I've folded when it came to the log/exp. just couldn't figure out how to "bend properly that curve.
    Then my project can have different flavours, specially at audio rates, because of the aliasing I've used for the EOR and EOC recognition.
    I was also trying to work on normalized input with a"if there is signal switch, override(somehow) the original value.
    Then life happened and IMO Robert's works much better.

http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/download/1887/MAKENOISE - FUNCTION 0709.audulus
  • Just toolin around with this - love the waveshaping features. Can do some even crazier stuff with the Audulus version than I bet you can with the real one! It might not have the analog filter creaminess, but it definitely *feels* like an 0-Coast to me - great job!

https://youtu.be/2Ri5GmZletg
  • I must say those are some genuinely surprising results!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!