Envelope modules - documentation?
  • I'm new to Audulus, just finished the tutorials yesterday and have been experimenting. I'm wondering if there's documentation on how to use the two included envelope modules as well as the basic envelope node. I understand general how envelopes work and used to use a volume envelope to control various parameters in Guitar Rig. I'm trying to do something similar now, working with the "envelope" module (not the "1-shot", whatever that means). I'm trying to combine the "white noise" module with my guitar audio signal, using the envelope to control the mix/cross fade between the two signals. The guitar volume would trigger the envelope.

I see two inputs, assumed one for controlling the envelope ('g') and one for audio input. I connected my guitar signal into the 'g' and see the green light flashing, assuming it's following my picking dynamics. Where do I connect the white noise generator? If I connect it to the only other input, where do I connect the audio from my guitar? The top output seems to pass audio through unaffected. Putting a monitor on the other outputs just shows a steadily ascending or descending line.

What does the 'mode' switch do? What about the lowest parameter knob (1-60?)

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Didn't know you can click on module name for details. I might have it figured out now.
  • @Sabicas - let me know if you need any help - better documentation for everything is coming soon, but there should be some in there to get you started! :)
  • Here's a quick overview. There is a glossary somewhere here on the forums to explain what all the e, o, and g labels mean. The 1-shot envelope is a simple envelope which is just a decay. This is useful for percussion and timing modulation. The only thing that's a little weird about it is that it is default set up to be 0-60 seconds which is a little long for my tastes. Feel free to post a patch that you are working on if you would like any help.
    ENV module explained.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 12.23.53 AM.png
    1874 x 978 - 327K
  • Uh.... Not "help" gate. Thanks autocorrect...
  • Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Robert, I'll have to check that out when I can get back to my iPad.

Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction in the bigger picture. Here's the clip of the effect I'm trying to achieve.

and here, about 20 seconds in:

Those are played on a steel guitar using a volume pedal. The player is overloading the front of a tape delay, I believe. You can hear that white noise trail off the notes when the volume is pushed a bit. To me, the distortion sounds atonal, so I thought I'd try to recreate this affect using an envelope so the mix of white noise into the signal was controlled by the volume of the input. I'd follow it up with a delay. I'd be interested to know what someone with experienced effect developer ears would
  • OOOOOh! Do you mean envelope following? So the effect mix is changed by the volume of the incoming signal? Words have a pile of meanings. That node is the one that looks like a shark fin with a pink squiggle underneath it on the ipad. I will try and whip up something like the example you gave later today.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 11.39.15 AM.png
    1051 x 713 - 105K
  • Yes, that's what I'm looking for. What's the difference between that description and what the envelope module that I was trying to figure out?
  • So the word envelope means a covering or containing structure or layer. This can mean a folded piece of paper that holds a letter, or it can be thought of abstractly as in, "Frost enveloped the leaves of the garden as Winter bloomed from Autumn's damp remains."

So the envelope module might more helpfully be called an envelope GENERATOR. It typically creates the volume when designing the sound of a keyboard synthesizer. When you pluck and dampen the strings of a guitar, you are the envelope generator. The volume is the containing structure of the sound.

The envelope FOLLOWER traces the contour of that structure. But if you are making a small device, everything gets abbreviated. So it's just EG or ENV or something. If it was a guitar pedal envelope is just short for envelope follower. If you are a keyboard player it is short for envelope generator. Can't say as I blame you for being confused. It took me a long time before I really wrapped my head around that one also.
  • https://youtu.be/55wRlWpvGxY
    Please excuse the potato quality video and sub potato quality guitar-playing. Here is the rough version of the patch as I hear it. You will definitely want to put your twist on it by adding additional delay and whatnot, but the envelope follower triggering noise/distortion being added into the mix is there.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.22.15 PM.png
    979 x 651 - 76K
    RHS Enveloping Dirt and Grit..audulus
  • Ok, thank you so much. I can't wait to get home and try this out tonight. I'm kinda thinking I might get closer to the sound by sticking the delay before it and having only the delay repeats affected with noise/distortion.

I tried to work on this a bit, last night, but ran into some issues. I've attached a screenshot of the test I was running. When I use the simple envelope node (1 input, 1 output, no parameters) the envelope displayed as I expected in the monitor. Because that simple node offers no adjustment parameters, I tried the same test with the "sharkfin" ADSR and got a flat line on the monitor. The only way I could get a result at all was to add an expression node amplifying the signal (x * 50) and turning the attack parameter way down.

I should note that I'm not playing an instrument directly into the app in this test. I was using a pre-recorded clip in the file player of AUM which is routing it through Audulus.

Any idea why the sharkfin ADSR reacts so differently than expected?
    audulus1.png
    2048 x 1536 - 206K
  • The ADSR receives on/off information from a keyboard, so it responds when the signal goes from off, 0, to on, 1. That's why you had to multiply the gain by 50 to get a response.

Also, envelope signals are just information. They aren't audio signals themselves so you can't listen to them. You send the envelope off the change the signals volume or amount of distortion or whatever and then listen to that.

Just curious, were you able to download the patch I made from the forum? You might be better able to understand by opening it up and tinkering about with it :)
  • I'm at work right now and won't be able to download your patch until I get back home to my iPad. I'm excited to try it out.
  • Ok, I played around with your patch for about an hour, last night. I set it up with my pedal steel and got it pretty close to the clips that I referenced. I used a stereo delay module feeding a pair of filter modules before the output.

It's good as is, but I'm wanting to open it up and see how you built it. Looking inside, I don't understand how you got the distortion/noise knob to be distortion for the first half and white noise for the second. I was looking at it so I could reverse it and have the white noise in the first half of the rotation, then distortion for the second half of the rotation so I could set the envelope to modulate this knob as well.

This is already a lot of fun. Looking forward to learning how to build my own. I'm curious, how long did this take you to put together?

• I am so happy you were able to get the desired effect!

It took me maybe about half an hour to set up the patch. I would say about a third of that was just making the patch look tidy though. To open up the patch you can double-click on it or tap it on an iPad and select "open." This will take you into the subpatch where the internal routing happens. This is how the crossfade knob works:

From there you switch the A/B inputs on the crossfade node that will make the knob go from noise to distortion. Having the envelope follower signal controlling the crossfade signal can be don in a bunch of ways. You can just unplug the knob from the C input and route a cord from the envelope follower into the C input. OR back outside the patch you can make another envelope follower control the crossfade like so:
    Remember every knob on an Audulus module is also an input. Also the random node is pretty much the same as the white noise module but without a knob.

I would definitely recommend watching the ipad buildcast on the Audulus youtube channel. That's how I learned.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 1.02.07 PM.png
    1368 x 1007 - 213K
    C is for Crossfade.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 1.15.46 PM.png
    575 x 491 - 46K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!