Updated Audulus Node Documentation

• We will soon be releasing a long-awaited thorough update to the Audulus documentation. Each node is explained in careful detail in easy-to-understand language with plenty of pictures, animations, videos, sound samples, and patches for you to explore. The documentation will essentially be a beginner's course in synthesis and computer science!

We will of course be updating it as new nodes appear, but we will also update it based on user feedback - so when it does go live, make sure you check it all out and let us know what you think!

If you have a request for the documentation, please leave it in the comments below - thanks!
  • Outstanding and the preview looks great! One question - how will the new docs be rolled out? Will it be only web-based or will it also be available within the app on iOS while offline or in PDF?
  • @Bryan58 - Thanks!

The docs as you see them will replace the docs as they are now: http://docs.audulus.com/nodes/

This is just the nodes reference that you're looking at, but the whole thing's going to get an overhaul. Ideally, I'd love to have one clip/example patch for every module doing something as well (though that's a little further off).

But if you have a strong grasp of the nodes you'll be able to work through use the modules, whereas it's more difficult to use the modules if you don't understand the nodes.

I'd like to deliver an offline version, but so much of it is animated that it's best to use it not printed out - though I know there are PDF lovers out there! And there's still plenty of good info without the multimedia. But yeah it should be available offline in one form, possibly 2 (though I'm not gonna spend a long time making the PDF look pretty since it'll be subject to change).
  • Looks great. Can't wait to spend more time in Audulus without feeling overwhelmed and under-educated!
  • Looks awesome really. That's a great addition, can't wait to read it.
  • how about a basic glossary for some terms for newbies?

Like:
    o=?
    m=?
    a=?

I'm just thinking of terms that would be used just in Audulus, not necessarily general synth stuff.

Still digging through things so this is just a thought.
  • @altgrendel - that's coming too, but for now:

o = octave - a linear pitch scale, similar to volt per octave.
    0 = A = 440Hz
    1 = A = 880Hz
    -1 = A = 220Hz

m = modulation - modulation signals range between 0 to 1 to interface with any knob in the module library

a = audio, -1 to 1

e = envelope - a specialized modulation signal, also between 0 to 1

g = gate 0 or 1 (with one exception of gate going into an envelope, when it's 0 to 1 to allow for dynamics).

Those are the major ones.

Attached are the glossary patches that I originally made for the new release, but Taylor wanted me to just put it in the documentation.
    Control Abbreviation Glossary.audulus
    Input Output Glossary.audulus
  • Huge help, thank you.
  • 20 pages - 1/3 way done! (Math nodes and filter section is going to be YUGE - will have at least one if not more examples for every expression available in Audulus - no more mystery about what the math is good for!)
  • Peep this:

Keep in mind, this is not only not done, but this is just the Nodes documentation - the Modules documentation is going to get the same treatment, and I'm going to make a separate documentation on how to interface creatively with analog synthesizers!
    Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 4.38.35 PM.png
    428 x 522 - 57K
  • Nodes are the best!
  • Crazy...
  • Can't wait to put my eyes and hand and ears on it!
  • @strex Will we finally know what ranges of inputs are appropriate for all the filters and such? only time will tell.
  • @robertsyrett - 20-20k is the range of the filter node, and 0-1 is for resonance (1 = self-oscillation, can get pretty wild, so i usually limit resonance on modules to .99
  • Well I was thinking of the biquad filter and high pass which have rather enigmatic inputs, but yeah limiting it to .99 resonance is definitely a good idea. I seem to get white cables if I leave it set to 1 for too long and then I have to cut and paste the filter.
  • The updated doc preview looks great. I know how much work goes into good documentation. The extra effort is really appreciated
  • Plenty of person will appreciate the effort put into this! I sure will.
  • I check this everyday just to see if this is ready! Im so excited and glad you decided to do this! Thanks!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!