The Bends
  • I was taken by a module featured in one of the many NAMM 2017 product previews and thought I would take a crack at modeling it Audulus. I'm pretty pleased with the result so far and thought I'd share it for anyone who is interested.

Also, this is exactly the type of patch I dream of using the ES-8 for with audulus.

From Reddit:

"The Bends has 4 channels (A, B, C, D). Each channel has an input, which is normalized to 5v (if no input is connected, 5v is provided by the module as an input), an attenuator knob (linear), an inverted output, and a non-inverted output. So, with no input, it provides 0v to -5v out of the inverted output, and 0v to 5v out of the non-inverted output, based on the position of the knob. If an input is provided, that input is attenuated by the knob, and then provided in inverted (over the 0 line) and non-inverted forms from the outputs.
    The bends also has 6 CV inputs in the center (A↔B, B↔C, C↔D, A↔C, B↔D, A↔D). I've waffled a bit on what to call these, and would value your input on the clearest name for them. For now, let's call them "blend" controls. If you apply voltage to those inputs, they blend the channels with each other, bi-directionally. As the voltage input to these jacks rises, the two channels associated with that jack are increasingly mixed together, until finally (at about 5v input) they are approximately equal, their signals averaged. This can be used to mix audio or CV.
    A few applications of this:
    Plug a 5v LFO into A↔B. Turn the A knob fully counterclockwise and the B knob fully clockwise. An LFO from 0v to 2.5v will emit from A Out. An LFO from 0 to -2.5v will emit from A Inv Out. An LFO from 2.5 to 5v, in opposite phase from the A Out LFO, will emit from B Out. And an LFO from -2.5 to -5v will emit from B Inv Out.
    Plug two LFOs into A↔B and B↔C. Set knobs A, B, and C to three different positions. Waves which combine the two input waves, different in proportion of combination, inversion, and offset emit from all outputs associated with channels A, B, and C, and can be manipulated by those three knobs - compressed by moving their values together, offset by moving all values up or down, etc.
    Plug audio sources into A In, B In, and C In. Plug LFOs or envelopes into all six Blend inputs (mult some of them if necessary, but for best effect, avoid connecting multiple channels to D with the same mult). Turn knobs A, B, and C clockwise, and knob D fully counterclockwise. D Out emits a mix of the three input signals, in roughly equal proportion to each other if the control waves to the Blend inputs are roughly equal. From the independent channel inputs emit three other mixes, each of which is dominated by the wave coming into that channel, but partakes (in variation proportion to the pertinent blend control waves) of the other inputs as well. And from the inverted outputs come inverted versions of these audio signals, useful for filtering and phasing tricks, as well as simply being extra copies of signals for use as CV."

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 10.07.12 PM.png
    909 x 1016 - 217K
    THE BENDS.audulus

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!