Newbie help - questions.
  • Got Audulus and have been playing around with it for a week or so. I like it a lot, creating a very basic 4 oscillator patch wasn't an issue. So I have two unrelated questions.

1. While I have some experience with synths, I've never had the opportunity to work with a sequencer. I'm trying to use the Bassic Sequencer module and I've hooked a clock up to the gate input but am not sure what needs to happen to get a control signal out to run an oscillator. I couldn't find any documentation, so module path suggestions would help. I saw the video on building one, but I'm not ready for that kind of depth just yet and couldn't quite follow what was going on.

2. I've noticed that the 4 oscillator patch output always sounds like one oscillator even though I've verified output on each one and have verified that the mixer is set up correctly. I've played with changing waveforms and notice a difference but it's more like the output is a summed waveform instead of separate voices. I'm just wondering if this is an artifact of using a digital synth and what can be done to fatten up the sound in a Moogish way.

Just trying to learn how to fish.

Thanks in advance.
  • Mark is still working on the revised help document and I normally don't use the bassic sequencer, but I thought I would share what I know in the hope that you find it useful.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 1.00.23 PM.png
    1758 x 904 - 339K
    Bassic Sequencer HELP patch.audulus
    2M
  • Regarding oscillators. Moog oscillators are fantastic aren't they? But they have several things going for them that make them sound more interesting than digital oscillators.

1. Wave Shaping- Modern Moog oscillators have sweepable waveforms so you can vary the harmonic content and create tones from one oscillator that that takes some clever combining in other systems like Audulus.

2. Free Running- Analog oscillators are rarely in phase with each other so there is phase cancellation that creates further harmonic content. This is true even if you are using exactly the same waveform.

3. Detuning- This is probably the most important one, you can get perfectly tuned oscillators all day long in Audulus but with analog synths there will always be some about of variation which creates the fat sound we associate with Moog and other analog monosynths.
    Basic Detuning.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 1.50.25 PM.png
    1790 x 764 - 200K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!