Oscillators in Audulus
  • Hi. I'm having a lot of fun patching and building stuff in audulus. It's coming together slowly but steady:) (when I have the time).

Right now I am trying to make a 4 voice polysynth, with 4 discrete oscillators including drift and slight variations in each oscillator. So far so good.

There is the sound of the oscillators though. They are digital and sound like digital oscillators. No harm there:)
    Have any of you experimented in the past with "analogifying" oscillators? Did you learn anything cool?

The chaotic element of drifting has helped a lot already. It's a series of sample hand hold modules with some slew limiting and noise mixed in. I plan on doing "less than perfect" octave tracking as well, different settings for each synth voice.

Any other things about the oscillators? What about the phase of the oscillator? I can't seem to find a way to change that at the moment.
    I think that would help as well.

I have also thought about applying a simple low pass to each voice, to "round" out things. Slight distortion as well.

What about waveshaping? I can't see any audulus nodes that will do that. Is there any way to achieve that?

And one thing. Is there a way to change waveforms with a knob instead of clicking the waveform? I want to change the waveform of 4 oscillators with one knob. Can that be done?

Any audulus nodes or general ideas you can recommend?
    I'll experiment further as soon as I get time, but if you have any cool things to share, feel free to do so:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Try this for distortion/overdrive - I wasn't the biggest fan of the tahn(x) distortion.
    http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1154/afterburn-an-overdrive-module#Item_1

Also, I think the "shape" input determines the phase, but I'm not sure.

Harmonics, in my mind, are the key to sounding analog. This comes from distortion.
  • The shape only controls 50-90% (?) of the pulse width and some non-standard doubling on the sawtooth shape, which is pretty unique. No phase modulation on the standard osc. let me find that phase modulatable oscillator @plurgid made.
  • It's 50-100% @RobertSyrett - and yeah I'm not sure myself what the saw is doing mathematically, but it's similar to how the Korg Minilogue does the shape for their saw wave.

That said, the majority of the "analogness" comes from the filter - if you want something to sound more analog, developing better filters for Audulus would go a much longer way to to doing that! :)
  • @biminiroad I think going for the filters is a better bet because although the functions to do all your favorite waveshaping are here in Audulus, those functions add aliasing. I kind of wish there was a generic anti aliasing node.

Here is the the oscillator with the phase input, looks like Plurgid used the phasor oscillator. I also made a wave folder that can pretty easily be turned into a wave clipper or other wave-shaping possibilities.

It might be worth deconstructing how wave-shaping is done on the DSI pro 2.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 3.49.33 PM.png
    1004 x 1021 - 137K
    Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 3.46.40 PM.png
    1418 x 992 - 190K
    Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 3.38.22 PM.png
    1594 x 865 - 247K
    Plurgid FM Operator (PM).audulus
    Simple Wave Folder.audulus
  • Thanks everyone. Keep the comments coming:)

I completely agree that analog sound needs to come from the filter, but i think the oscillators are crucial as well. I have heard countless newer synths with analog filters and oscillators. They just dont sound "old" to me. So apparently what i like in analog synths is a large amount of unstability. I have owned a couple of synths. Juno 106, juno 60, Formant elektor modular (still have it), jupiter 4, roland sh1000, moog voyager etc etc, and DCO synths simply dont sound unstable enough for my taste. I'm apparently a very picky person when it comes to synths;)
    The newer synths (Moog voyager, Korg monologue etc) dont have that old school sound either. I havent played with the prophet 6, but from youtube videos, it sounds like it is truly and "old" sounding synth. I love the sound.
    My favorite polysynth, that i have played, is the jupiter 4. It sounds raw and organic. From there on and further, timewise, the sound goes downhill, imo. Jx3p, jx8p etc.. though the juno 60 still sounds pretty good.

Meh. I'm rambling:)

One of the most convincing synth emulation, soundwise, is a sample based instrument (http://www.tronsonic.com/products/j4), so i apparently, what i find "good sounding" has a lot to do with oscillators. Not only filters.
    I have been surprised by the Korg arp oddysei iPad app. It really is great sounding, and has a great blend of good sounding oscillators, and an amazing sounding filter.

I dont know if it's possible at all to mimick what i am talking about in Audulus, especially with my, almost non existing math skills, and also because i really cant say what is special about old synths, but i'll give it a go:)

Keep the comments coming! I'll look into the links. Thanks

:)
  • Oh. And by the way:
    Is there a way to change waveforms with a knob instead of clicking the waveform? I want to change the waveform of 4 oscillators with one knob. Can that be done?
  • @the19thbear - yes - use a mux to switch between 4 different OSC nodes with 4 waveforms selected. Not the most CPU efficient way to do it, but it works for now. Eventually we'll probably have some kind of wave selector, but I bet when Taylor implements that, it would either be the morphing kind (like QU-Bit Chord), or would at least anti-alias the transition so you don't get a click.

Attached is my clone of the QU-Bit Chord with voice morphing.

As far as analog vs. digital oscillators - just try and look around/ask around and read up what their differences are, and then try to replicate those differences in Audulus. I bet a majority of the sound is from them not tracking precisely, which is very easy and CPU-efficient to do.

In the future (Audulus 4, probably) you'll be able to load wave samples of your favorite analog oscillators and use those!
    uBit Gourd.audulus
    3M
  • Ok. Thanks. That YouTube video sounds pretty darn amazing! And that delay makes me think of nigel Goodrich/radiohead and the ams-neve 1580s delay. I will HAVE to check your patch!
    Coolness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • And a regular sampler would be cool, if at all possible. I have a complete set of samples of the Jupiter 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Yeah, it will be called the Data node, I think - it will be able to load, export, and record samples on the fly like a super-charged delay node. You'll be able to load samples, record your patch, or use it for granular stuff, or even wavetables, and more!
  • @biminiroad +1 data node

Also, I found a video where an Inflatable Robot shows how DSI makes their digital oscillators sounds more old-world analog. He basically adds some stepped random "voltages" through a slew limiter to the pitch and you can vary the amount. I was wondering if there are other ideas of how to go about it.

• "Like".
    I have done this. Just with a twist, I made a sh module where it's freq is modulated modified by another sh. So it's varying in freq and in value at the same time. And then slew limiters in both sh's. Nothing amazing at all, but it does randomize things a bit more. Thanks for sharing the video:)
  • This article just makes me wish we has a phase control on the aliased oscillator objects. Oh, and a trapezoidal waveform.
  • You can do phase with a delay
  • For anyone who is interested, the easy expression for perfect wavefolding is 2*asin(sin(x*pi/2))/pi for all those people who want a wavefolder in their kit.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 5.13.09 PM.png
    1124 x 425 - 65K
    real wavefolding.audulus
  • Here are some even harmonic waveforms I made with the help of Don Tillman, who wrote an article on the topic of the waveforms available to musicians.

http://till.com/articles/wavepalette/index.html
    Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 12.05.04 PM.png
    987 x 769 - 118K
    Even Harmonic Waveforms.audulus

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!