Audulus Build Podcast with Bimini Road
  • Link to the playlist (bookmark this for future reference): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9UyqUZMOiIk7lZu1TxWkfN8uaH2tuNOR

Suggestions and requests welcome below! Attached are the patches from the video.
    AR Env.audulus
    AR Env Example.audulus
    4M
  • Really cool example patch thanks.

I have a suggestion, not fully related to patch building but that concerns ADSR. I think we should be able to choose the shape of the curves, at least the attack. From log to linear and exponential.
  • Thanks @Sansnom - I have a follow up video to this one that shows you how to shape the envelope output. The envelope that is already included with the new update lets you go from exp-lin-log in the second shaped output. Take a look at it :)
  • Knob Value.audulus
  • Mark- What do you mean, the current version or an upcoming update? I'm pretty sure it's possible to build a custom ADSR but I'm concerned by the CPU hit (on iOS).
  • @Sansnom - There is a patch in the current version that already exists that can do differently shaped envelopes - it's the only envelope that's in the module library right now, but I've attached it here for clarity as well. I need to update it with @macromachines more accurate exp-lin-log shaper, but it works as is for now.

I think what you're missing here is that you can take a linear envelope and turn it into an exponential envelope just by squaring its output - you don't need to build an envelope from scratch - it uses the Envelope node. You could do this in a regular modular synthesizer as well - take a linear ADSR's output and use a stackable cable or buffered mult to create two outputs, attenuate them, then mult them together - you now have an exponential envelope!
    AR Env - Shaped.audulus
    Multi Envelope.audulus
    Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 11.18.21 AM.png
    285 x 383 - 28K
  • OK thanks for the explanations and the patch. But the problem as I said is the cpu hit. In the patch I'm building there are more than 100 envelopes. And I'm already at 75 % cpu. It' just impossible to do with the proposed modules. If it was built-in inside the adsr node (as an option on each adsr knob) that would be different.
    adsrCPU.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 202K
  • @Sansnom - the reason that the envelope there looks like it's using 0% of the CPU is that it's not hooked up to an output. The way the Audulus engine works is nothing is computed if a node's output doesn't go anywhere. See the attached screenshot and notice the difference. If you want a hundred envelopes, use the envelope node and then just use the multiply node (pictured) to get your exponential shaping. You're comparing the plain ADSR node and the AR module with an extra waveshaping stage (the tanh(x) function) and the Multi Envelope module, but they all have different features which suck up more CPU.

The multiply node is optimized to work faster than the expression node, so use that to maximize CPU. If you explain the project a little more I can show you that it's possible to do it. Look at the other attached screen cap - it has 128 envelopes and it's only using 5% of my Mac Mini.

If you want help on the patch you're making and want ways to optimize it, upload it in a new thread (i.e., not in this one - this is already getting a little off topic from the build podcast) asking for help and I'll take a look at it! I'm sure there are ways to optimize how it works. Thanks! :)
    Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 12.13.27 PM.png
    706 x 649 - 72K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 12.17.00 PM.png
    1019 x 666 - 304K
  • OK thanks for the explanations and sorry for the off-topic.
  • @sansnom no worries! Just if you want help on optimization it might be a longer conversation and would do better to be in its own thread :) thanks!

• NOTE: Attached example patch is VERY high CPU and may not work across all devices! This means if you load it and you hear cracking and distortion, then your device is not fast enough to run the patch - nothing is wrong with Audulus.
    8 Step Sequencer.audulus
    Sequencer Example.audulus
    7M
  • This is really cool, keep 'em coming :)
  • @balph- thanks will do! :)
  • Level Mute.audulus
  • Nice! Also, your subpatch looks a face.

• This patch is meant to be used with an Expert Sleepers ES-8 DC-Coupled Audio Interface module. Send the sequenced bass to your favorite filter and then use the gate signal to trigger an envelope to modulate the bass filter.

NOTE: If you open this patch without being connected to an ES-8, you will hear the bass hard panned to the left and a clicking noise on the right. This is the bass and clock signal - if you just want to listen to the bass, disconnect the clock and connect the oscillator to both audio outputs.

Purchase one from Century Sound Labs and receive a copy of Audulus for free! https://reverb.com/item/3437313-expert-sleepers-es-8-dc-coupled-audio-interface-free-audulus-3-copy
    ES-8 Acid Bass Sequencer.audulus
    2M
  • g Timer.audulus
  • Two in one day, the man is on fire!
  • @biminiroad what software do you use to make your tutorials?
  • @RobertSyrett - Final Cut Pro to edit Quicktime to screen capture
  • @biminiroad is this true for ipad tutorials as well? I would love to know if you have a resource you know of to learn more. Wading through the google results is like gazing backwards to the state of operating systems in 2013.
  • @robertsyrett Yes - you can record your screen with Quicktime plugged in through USB. Just go to Quicktime -> File -> New Movie Recording with the iPad plugged in. There isn't much to it - I just record the screen of me doing stuff and then I do some minor editing in Final Cut (adding titles, clipping out mistakes) and then I add voiceover. It's way easier to add voiceover later rather than while you're doing it because you can think about what you want to say and don't have to be doing two different things at once.
  • @biminiroad do you use soundflower to record audio as well as screen recording?
  • @robertsyrett No - Quicktime will record the audio from the iPad, and then I just overdub me talking in the video later
  • It's strange, I can't capture audio in Quicktime Screen record without the use of Loopback, which I have to restart every twenty minutes. Oh well... at least I kinda got it working.
  • @RobertSyrett - do you not see similar options? You should just be able to select the computer's default output (UAD Apollo in my case)
    Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 12.39.00 PM.png
    423 x 252 - 21K
  • What I'm doing is using a virtual soundcard which is made by the people who took soundflower from cycling '74 and then stopped supporting it. Soundflower seemed to stop working after I updated to Sierra. It works alright now, I just can't record longer than 20 minutes without getting white noise. None of the other options listed in my pulldown menu recorded any sound.
    Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.23.48 PM.png
    422 x 289 - 26K

• ES-8 Eurorack Tape Delay.audulus