First song (2 chords!) and a chorus effect
  • Hey everyone! First post here.

So I've uploaded this little two chord song. Hopefully it's simple enough to help people understand some basics on sample & hold counting and triggering. It's just the new bass module, a kick and snare, and a sawtooth oscillator running into my chorus effect that I made.

One thing that's bothering me - I started trying to change things, and my patch wouldn't work. I tried to connect the envelope of the sawtooth oscillator to the filter frequency, and the signal coming through the envelope would just stop. So I tried to just connect a value meter to it to see what was happening, and even connecting a value meter to it stopped the signal from coming through. I ended up with some luck just putting an envelope follow node on it, but I don't see why I needed to do that.

Also, copying and pasting the entire patch into a new patch also changes it. The sample and hold I have counting 16 triggers just doesn't count unless I disconnect the value meter and reconnect it again...

There are some ghosts in the machine for sure, but if this works for you, they're certainly going to have some music to dance to...

I'm not sure how to delete the history on 3.3... So the Full Moon patch is pretty giant. Please help a newb out if you can...

Last but not least (sorry, long post) I uploaded my chorus effect here. It's pretty great for chorus, but also for reverb, actually. Try playing around with it! It also has a spread knob that sends the signal through a few pitch nodes to detune the signal. With all those pitch nodes, it's sort of a CPU heavy module, running around 40% on my iPad mini 4, but it sounds cool. It's called Course Correct.

-Steve Xavier
    Coarse Correct.audulus
    2M
    Full Moon.audulus
    11M
  • This is SO RAD Steve! It's very "Stranger Things," no? Love the chorus effect.

The problems you were running into had to do with feedback loops and sample & holds - look at the attached Delta Change Detector tutorial. When I put the feedback delay node in the right places, everything works now. If you're ever doing something with S&H like that, just fool around with the feedback delay node if something seems to stop working. It stopped working when you made that envelope connection because it recalculated where to put the feedback delay automatically and put it in the wrong place. This is why copy and pasting it into a new patch also makes it stop working.

One thing I highly suggest you do in designing is leave all of your knobs in a range of 0-1 and use math in expressions to multiply out their ranges. This allows all of the knobs to be directly attenuated by modulation signals - if my filters were designed to go from 0-20,000, you'd have to use math every time you wanted to translate them into a range. The knobs are also scaled on the filter to go from 0-5khz in the 0-.5 sweep, then 5khz to 20khz in the .5 to 1 sweep. This makes them more musical and easy to play.

Added in some other modules too - my 7 detuned saws patch and the envelope module that has a lot more useful functions on it than the envelope node alone. Not sure if the connection to the bass filter is in the right place, but it's there to show you that you can do it.

I also added flipflops to do the kick/snare work - they're timed a little differently than the thing you made up, but just did that to show an alternate quick way you could've done the same thing. Also, I added a probability switch module to the snare to give it a little variation.

Delete history is missing from the current version but will get added back in. Not sure why Taylor took it out, but it was for some reason - I cleared the history in both and reuploaded them.

Full Moon - Bimini Road Edit.audulus
    2M
    Coarse Correct.audulus
    Feedback Delay Delta Module Tutorial.audulus
  • Thank you! Ha, yes Stranger Things is great! I also love Odessey by Home. The new 80s sound. (SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE A ROTOTOM PATCH)

Ah, feedback delay nodes - got it. Yeah, that makes total sense. I kinda brute force designed this, not really finessing the design... Hey, GREAT 1073 EQ though!

I get what you're saying about the 0-1 parameters, and I'll have to do that from now on - on certain parameters... As an engineer, (and now Audulus user) it makes more sense in my head if filters are the full 20-20k. That way I know exactly what value I'm putting in as opposed to keeping a 0-1/20-20k scaler in my mind. I put in one math expression and I can stop thinking about it for the rest of the patch. I also understand not everyone thinks alike, so I want to make patches that people use.

Side note: Are you using any logarithmic scaling for your filters, or just scaling linearly?

Thanks for the patches and help - I'll check those out as soon as I can!

• Thanks SteveX!

The way the (most) of the filters work is you can turn the knob all the way down and there's a green input that lights up that allows you to directly input a specific Hz value. You can use this with an o2Hz converter to have your filter track with your synth (see attached patch).

The reason they aren't dialed in at 20-20k is that allows you to use any kind of gate, modulation, or envelope signal to modulate them without having to do extra math. The m2m translator allows you to dial it into the range that you want.

The filters are scaled exponentially, which most EE people would call a log pot, but if you look at the curve the first half of the sweep of the knob goes from 20-5000hz, and the second half goes from 5000hz-20khz. It's not linear from 20-5000, or 5000-20khz, that just gives you an idea of how steep the curve is.
    Filter Hz Input Example.audulus