MONO-SYSTEM α (Semi-Modular Synthesiser)
  • My first design.

A simple but powerful synth I made to emulate the kind of workflow I have with analog semi modular synthesisers like the Roland System 100m and ARP2600.

Thanks to Mark for his invaluable help!

Hope you guys will like it.
    MONO-SYSTEM α8 by SURKIN.audulus
    5M
    Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 10.57.47.png
    1372 x 1286 - 334K
  • Thanks Surkin! This is awesome :)
  • YOU sir are my NEW HERO!!

Wish I wasn't at work because I can't wait to tear into this - thanks for all the work!

DS
  • Well ...

I've stolen about 45 seconds from the boss and given your synth a really quick once over - REALLY REALLY nice work, thank you very kindly!

I've not really drilled down but I didn't immediately see a handy way to control the "VCF" with an inverted "KBD voltage" ( a la JoeZawinul/ WeatherReport) - I probably missed it, but if not that would be my request!

Great fun - I love this gang of kooks immensely! ;-)

All the best!

DS
  • Glad you like it!
    Still an alpha version, but I'm actually trying to improve the VCF, it's not really reacting the way it should...
    If anyone has a good analog emulation LP filter who self oscillate etc, or has a way to improve this one, any help would be very welcome. I'm still a newbie.
  • Here are two that @macromachines did!
    SVF.audulus
    Lib_transistor_ladder_Lowpass Oct5.audulus
    14M
  • I *love* this community!!

I will wave the pom-poms for Team Audulus any day - YAYYYYYYYYYY TEAM!!!

;-)

DS
  • This looks great surkin. Biminiroad, I tried MacroMachines SVF, and I'm getting some really odd artefacts in my chain. Is there a home thread for his module?
  • @pgdn - not really - are you sure you're not just clipping the output? That's a pretty hot module when set to high-q
  • Yeah, it sounds like buffer chunks are being dropped. I'm afk right now, will check in when I'm back.
  • Check your % CPU usage - maybe that's peaking out? Audulus doesn't and really hasn't ever glitched audibly from something being wrong at the programming level (afaik). Anyway we'll get to the bottom of it :)
  • I encounter a similar problem when I implement the SVF filter in my design. The signal overloads and the cables turn white after the filter. Is there a way to prevent this?
    Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 10.02.13.png
    1140 x 1110 - 260K
  • Can you please post the patch? It's always easier to diagnose problems with Audulus patches if you also post the patch :) If you're using it in some kind of feedback configuration that's what might be causing the white wires.
  • Here it is. you can reproduce the problem by turning up the VCF frequency,
    MONO SYSTEM ALPHA V11 NEW FILTER.audulus
    4M
  • This was an easy fix - you were driving the filter frequency above 20khz and it did some weird stuff.

Ok, so basically let me lay out how these new modules work:

Every knob on every module is kept between 0-1. All of your control signals that you use to manipulate knobs should also be kept between 0-1. If you don't, bad things like the white-out wires can happen. You were adding and adding signals together and getting an envelope that was regularly going over 1.

The way to prevent the signals from going over one is easy - just add the expression (clamp,x,0,1) before attaching the signal to the knob. This will keep everything that flows through the signal between 0 and 1. I've added it into this patch and now it will work just fine.

The filter on the module you're using has a knob that goes from 0-1. This corresponds to 0-20,000khz. The response of the knob is also exponential, meaning you can dial in lower frequencies easier, since 0-5000hz is where most of the musical filter action happens. By driving it above a knob value of 1, you were pushing it beyond 20khz, and into some territory that cause some kind of feedback loop inside the filter to go wild and cause a runaway signal amplitude (which is what the white wires indicate).

Let me know if that all makes sense! I'm making a tutorial video that goes over the what and why of the way the library is constructed, but basically to play nice with the modules, you have to use the rules and guidelines that are set up by the modules. I'm translating this so it will not be in patch form but on our website, but check out this attached patch that shows you the glossary of I/O.
    MONO SYSTEM ALPHA V11 NEW FILTER - Filter FIXED.audulus
    4M
    Input Output Glossary.audulus
  • Thanks a lot! The glossary is very helpful too.
  • This is incredible!

Great work!