Audulus v3.3 update audio and CPU issue
  • Audulus 3 has been updated to v3.3 but I am having problems with CPU overload running between 90 to 100% and audio breaking up when opening some factory preset patches like Arranger, Bassic Sequencer and BootStrap on my iPad Pro 9.7 running iOS 10.0.2. This never happened before the update. I have tried looking for the buffer settings but cannot find them and I have reinstalled the app but the problem is still there. Please advise.
  • Same issues on my Air 1, 9.3.5
  • Me too. It sounds like crap on my iPad 4 - even the simplest patches sound glitchy and broken up. Its so bad I cannot even use it. This is TRAGIC. I LOVED Audulus before this update. Now I cannot STAND it. Its AWFUL.

I just deleted it.
  • Let's not forget that it is Audulus, with all the attendant love, dedication and customer service we're used to. Any issues will be sorted as soon as they're identified, as they always have been.

Thanks, as always, Taylor and Mark
  • Having the same problem here. Running an iPad Pro 9.7 under iOS 10.0.2. The audio of even basic patches breaks up as the cpu usage jumps wildly between 70 and 99 per cent. Similar to the original poster, I have reinstalled, which made no difference.

Strangely, when you put it in the background, it seems to calm down and produce clean audio. Additionally the app seems to react better in the multitasking window, although as you sweep the app to mid screen, the audio starts to stutter. I suspect there is an over active algorithm somewhere, that deals with screen redraw as the problem is only evident whilst the app has to draw an active synth.

One thing the community could possibly do to help, if the Dev has not already found it, is run modules within the synth individually and find if this is indeed a problem with an individual part or a general screen graphics problem pushing the CPU.

As a test, I reinstalled version 2, ran that and got no audio problems with CPU use between 5 and 15 per cent. None of my other synth apps did the CPU problem either.
  • Snowybear,

How did you reinstall V. 2??? If I could go back to V3 (the previous version of version 3) I would do it in a heartbeat.
  • i would love to update but I'm holding off until taylor comments on this and gives an eta of a fix.
    been enjoying making kranky fx inserts for cubasis too much to have it mess up right now :)
  • @thinds @snowybear @artmuzz

Hey guys - thanks for letting us know about the problems you're having. We'd really appreciate to continue the conversations individually with y'all over support@audulus.com. I would've seen your messages earlier and responded to them quicker, too.

We do seem to be having some issues that we're working on a fix for. Anyone who's been with us for a while knows that this sometimes happen immediately after an update - but you also know that we get it fixed really quickly as well. The best way to help us fix the problem is not to talk about it on the forum, but to talk about it with us through our support email.

As you might imagine, the problems you're having aren't things that we ran into during beta. We wouldn't have released it if we had known about whatever issue it is that's going on. Audulus 3.3 has been working perfectly fine on my iPhone, iPad, and computer for quite a while.

The info that Snowybear provided is a big help to tracking down the problem - I encourage you all to please contact us individually at support@audulus.com. The forum is for discussing Audulus and how to use it, not how to fix it. The problems you're having will actually always get fixed quicker if you email us at support@audulus.com. We only check the forum periodically throughout the day, but if you email us, we see the notification immediately. You will always get better and faster support over email.

Thanks everyone!

Also, FYI there is no buffer setting for Audulus.
  • Hey folks, this performance degradation on your fast hardware comes as a big surprise. The patches that come with Audulus run on my iPhone 5s (Apple A7) without glitching (granted with not a lot of headroom), and I'm running the App Store version of Audulus. So naturally, it's a big shock to hear them not running well on an iPad Pro 9.7 (Apple A9X, over 2x the performance of the A7).

Don't worry, we'll figure it out!

cheers
    - Taylor
  • I have got the same problem in an iphone SE 10.0.2. I`ve got an ipad air but I can't test it at this moment.
  • Same issue here. iPad air iOS 9.3.1.
  • Hey Folks,

Here are the CPU percentages for the factory patches on my iPhone 5s. I was wrong earlier and two of the patches are too heavy to run on the 5s, but the 5s is pretty much the minimum one should use for Audulus.

Taylors iPhone 5s / iOS 10 Audulus 3.3
    Acid Sketch 32%
    Arranger 75%
    Bassic Sequencer 100%
    Bootstrap 112%
    Cora 30%
    Frosted 60%
    Greenish Blue 42%
    Hale-Bopp 43%
    Just 85%
    Random Melody 76%
    Scattering 23%
    Spline Sequencer 40%
    Weather Patterns 60%
    Wind's Cry 39%

I take it you all are seeing vastly different numbers on newer hardware? Anyone using AudioBus?
  • Here are the max usage % I read in my iPad Air using AudioBus

Abi iPad Air / iOS 10 Audulus 3.3 using AudioBus:

Acid Sketch 43%
    Arranger 96%
    Bassic Sequencer 124%
    Bootstrap 112%
    Cora 22%
    Frosted 76%
    Greenish Blue 45%
    Hale-Bopp 45%
    Just 95%
    Random Melody 96%
    Scattering 23%
    Sequence Strip 43%
    Spline Sequencer 53%
    Weather Patterns 77%
    Wind's Cry 50%

As Snowybear said, the sound turns cleaner when A3.3 is in the background.

I hope this info could be useful Taylor and Mark
  • Note everyone: These numbers make sense - some of the demos will not work on your iPad - this is because Audulus is also for computer, and I wanted to make some patches that really showed off the power of Audulus. However, as you can see, a bunch of them still do work fine - I'll also work on just adding more demos that aren't peaking percentage wise, but I'm beginning to wonder if there's actually even a problem or a bug here? Turn the sound off and look inside some of these modules in the big patches - they're pretty complex, so it makes sense that they might not run on all platforms. But if I have to make only demos that run well on iPhone 5, then that's kinda hamstringing showing off Audulus.

So - if people are getting similar numbers, and Audulus seems to be working fine otherwise when you make a patch from scratch, this doesn't seem to be a bug at all. Let me know if that's not the case.

Now, if your *old* patches are running at a higher CPU, that's a different story. If you have any, please send your old patches that run at a higher CPU % than they used to to support@audulus.com.

iPad Air 2:

Acid Sketch 42%
    Arranger 95%
    Bassic Sequencer 128%
    Bootstrap 110%
    Cora 23%
    Frosted 80%
    Greenish Blue 44%
    Hale-Bopp 45%
    Just 95%
    Random Melody 100%
    Scattering 25%
    Spline Sequencer 53%
    Weather Patterns 79%
    Wind's Cry 50%
  • I can accept that some patches might not work on an Air 1, but including them as a default will cause new users to think A3 is not good. This will lead to bad reviews on the store and requests for refunds, especially if they do not look on this forum. I made this comment on the Audulus FB page too.
  • Thanks for your input @thinds - I'm sorry this has caused people to be upset - if I had known that this was what would have happened, I would have not included those high CPU patches in the patch browser and instead have just posted them here on the forum. Perhaps you are right that we should just stick with patches that work on the lowest common denominator device - it's not that we can't make cool-sounding patches that use less CPU. I hope people understand that the point of including the higher cpu usage ones was to show off the power of new new modules, even if you need a faster device like an iPad Pro, or even a computer, to run them. The fact of the matter is I design everything on the computer, and I never run into any CPU usage issues, and so I'm not as conscious of it as I should be. I apologize!
  • No worries @biminiroad, as I said it doesn't worry me as a longtime user. It's more the potential damage to the reputation of a damn fine product, that could be made by irate new customers leaving bad reviews on the App Store.
  • I think that's probably a good idea to include only the lowest common denominator patches and post the heavy ones here.
  • @biminiroad- That's possible, but then it means that even an iPad pro is not enough? Also, why the audio glitches are less audible when Audulus is not rendering anything, I thought graphics were mainly the job of the gpu?

On a sidenote, the previous version was much more efficient, typically 50% cpu on patches that take now 70%, but very buggy when building patches.
  • @sansnom - can you and anyone else who have patches that are running less efficiently send those patches to us at support@audulus.com? It could help us track down what's going on. Also Just and Bootstrap were made on an iPad Pro (those are @macromachines patches).
  • @thinds, I agree. We'll be removing the heavier patches from the built-in content.

We don't believe any of the existing patches are any slower with this version. Our automated performance tests indicate this is the case.

If you have a patch that is now not performing well, please send it to us so we can investigate.

thanks!
    - Taylor
  • I instaled A3.0 and ran the built in few pathces. This is max usage % I read in my iPad Air using AudioBus.

Abi iPad Air / iOS 10, A3.3 and A3.0 using AudioBus:

Patch A3.3 A3.0

3-Bare...Sub Synth. 14%
    Acid Sketch. 43%
    Arranger 96%
    Bassic Sequencer 124%
    Bootstrap 112%
    Cora 22% 18%
    Frosted 76%
    Greenish Blue 45% 47%
    Hale-Bopp 45% 46%
    Just 95%
    Random Melody 96%
    Scattering 23% 21%
    Saw Swarm 7%
    Sequence Strip 43%
    Spline Sequencer 53%
    Weather Patterns 77%
    Wind's Cry 50%

Hope the info be useful
  • Sorry the data didn't remain in columns so it is not as clear as I wrote it.
    Check the attached file please.
    IMG_0994.PNG
    2048 x 1536 - 203K
  • That's ok, thanks @Abi! Seems like everything's looking pretty consistent for most people.
  • @Abi, how did you manage to install 3.0?
  • Patch A3.3 A3
    Acid Sketch 43%
    Arranger 96%
    Bassic Sequencer 124%
    Bootstrap 112%
    Cora 22% 18%
    Frosted 76%
    Greenish Blue 45% 47%
    Hale-Bopp 45% 46%
    Just 95%
    Random Melody 96%
    Scattering 23% 21%
    Saw Swarm 7%
    Sequence Strip 43%
    Spline Sequencer 53%
    Weather Patterns 77%
    Wind's Cry 50%
  • I really don't know how and where my mac keeps previews versions of some apps Taylor.
    here is what I did:
    1) Before to run an iTunes session I deleted Audulus 3.3 from the applications file in my mac
    2) I connected my iPad to my mac via USB
    3) I ran iTunes, in app section I look for Audulus and pressed "remove" and then sync
    4) After this, I went onece again to app section in iTunes, looked for Audulus' pressed "install" and sync

and voila... I was expecting the previos version of A3.3 but for an unknown reason it takes me to A3.0

If you prefer I can take some shots or a video of the procedure
  • Just updated to 3.3.4 and noticed that "Frosted" consumes 40% or more of the CPU when loaded but not running. If it runs, there is a lot of audio drop out.

As a user who is still playing with basics, I rely on patches that have already been made to educate me. However since the upgrade recently, many of the older patches have been glitchy, even on the iPad Pro. I'd understand if I was using an older iPad, but I can't get a faster one yet. I have even deleted Audulus 3.3.4 and reinstalled it, but this did not seem to solve the problem.

Do you have any ideas what seems to be the problem here, or should I just delete the offending patch?

iPad Pro 9.7" 256Gb 3G Wifi
    iOS 10.1.1
    No other apps running or backgrounding. Background tasks disabled on iPad as well as things like Siri disabled.
  • @Snowybear - The glitchiness of the patches is a result of them being made on the computer and not checked against slower machines. This was my bad and I take responsibility for it! Go ahead and just delete it, or use it on a computer if you have the computer version. I'm not sure what's up with that though since @jdraoul designs his patches on iOS, so we'll look into it. It also works on my iPhone 5, so it seems like there's something up with the iPad version - doesn't really make sense that it would run on my iPhone and not on your iPad Pro.

Since you're new to Audulus, just wanted to let you know about the tutorial build podcast that I do, which you can also request topics for! I've only gotten a few requests so far, so there's not a long line for topics or anything :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9UyqUZMOiIk7lZu1TxWkfN8uaH2tuNOR
  • If anyone is still interested, changing the latency settings through audiobus seems to allow much less glitchy performance.

Frosted on iPad mini 4 is very glitchy on its own, but run through audiobus with the latency set to 1024 samples sounds fine.

You have to open audiobus first, and then open audulus through it...
  • I'm having the same issues :(