Eminent 310/Solina/Jarre String Machine, with Phaser and Fairly Serious Reverb
  • This patch contains numerous useful modules which I have spent several months developing:

Eminent 310 Chorus emulates the lush string machines of the 1970s, such as the Eminent 310 used by Jarre, the Solina, and others.

Phaser 6 is a 6-stage phaser, easily reconfigured to more or fewer stages.

Fairly Serious Reverb is the result of 15 years of reverb R&D, appearing here in Audulus for the first time.

Simple Synth is nothing special, except inside it you'll find "Corrected Envelope" which fixes the chopped-off release that's so annoying in the Audulus envelope generator.

Inside the top-level modules are numerous new sub-modules such as phaser allpass, nested reverb allpass, and 1-pole filters.
    Eminent Chorus.audulus
  • @lagomorph Will have to put these to good use. Thank you for sharing them with us.
  • Wow, this is excellent! Beautiful, thank you :-)
  • Another chestnut from the archives!
  • Wow man! I can't believe I missed this!
    I was just thinking I wanted to figure out how to make a nice reverb, and searched the forum to see what the masterminds here had already cooked up.

This patch is PURE GOLD, I'll be dissecting this and learning from it for weeks!
    Super well done!
  • Thanks - I gave up on the forum for a few months after posting that - seemed it had been a waste of effort. Glad you guys like it!

Anybody have an idea how to save patches since the auto-upgrade happened? My Audulus 3 upgraded itself without permission, and now I can't find anyway to give a name to a patch and save it.
  • I do believe you can tap the name of the patch and a dialog opens up. Also the saving is automatic.
  • Thanks lagomorph! There's a lot of stuff here in the forums that is very rewarding to stumble across, looking forward to digging into this as well.
  • Yes really nice patches, enjoying the reverb. I'm wondering, what is this corrected adsr?
  • The standard envelope generator on Audulus has a linear decay, so it truncates unnaturally. I changed it so it has an exponential decay, like in a normal synthesizer.
  • @lagomorph - if you want a typical "AD" or "AR" envelope, set the sustain to 1, decay to 0, and adjust the attack/release settings. Also, lots of envelopes are linear! The Audulus envelope is linear because it's easy to shape it with math - it would be more difficult to make an exponential envelope logarithmic than it would be to make a linear one exponential.
  • @biminiroad I still think there room for improvement of the ADSR Node. It's still more difficult than it needs to be to set up tigger envelops as the ADSR will truncate or retrigger where a common AR envelope like maths will always complete the rise portion of the envelope. Also individually making portions of the ADSR logarithmic or exponential is something that would be nice, since the node is visualized with logarithmic attacks and exponential decay and release. This could be remedied by adding end of attack and end of release gate outputs to the node.
  • Lagomorph, my man! I just gotta say again how badass that whole patch is, but in particular that verb is gorgeous!

At the risk of taking the discussion too far off topic, I wanted to comment on the sidebar about the ADSR. I too was a little frustrated with the built in ADSR, because I was trying to make a super sustained kick like the 808 ... so I started fooling around with ways to build my own, using the spline (see attached).

My original line of thinking was along the same line as Robert ... i.e. "Wouldn't it be cool if the ADSR node had such an such option ...". However, after playing with this approach, it occurred to me that maybe a better improvement would be to modify the Spline, such that we can parameterize the x & y coordinates of the nodes on the spline.

If such a thing were possible you could quite literally build your own ADSR ... among a whole lot of other things ... graphic eq for instance ...
    IMG_0109.PNG
    901 x 504 - 52K
    longvelope.audulus
  • That would be preeeetty nice!
  • ...or a piano roll now that I think of it
  • @plurgid - that's basically what the spline sequencer is! :) I think the spline isn't anti-aliased, whereas the ADSR node is. Also, you do know you can change the time range for each parameter right? You can easily make a shape like that with the ADSR node. Also, @macromachines already did a graphic EQ using a spline, it's very good - make him release it, he's such a perfectionist he has this whole mastering suite that he's made and he's hoarding it to himself lol.
  • Plurgid, thanks it was fun to build all those things; the reverb being the most challenging (many years of development in Reaktor).

I like your spline idea for an ADSR; haven't really looked at that Node.

I think of a traditional ADSR as having inverted exponential attack and normal exponential decay; that's how the RC physics works anyhow. But yes it sorta resembles a "logarithmic" curve on the attack. If I had to choose only one style of ADSR, I'd go with pure expo, like the simplest/oldest ones. Linear is interesting as a circuit, but to my ear, not so much as an actual sound, because there isn't anything in nature like it. Not that synthesis is always about natural sounds. ;-) But making that emotional connection requires giving the listener something they can relate to. Expo decay lets a sound blossom; it's so important in analog synthesis, particularly as the filter envelope and VCA envelope are interacting.
  • @lagomorph, yeah! I thought that verb sounded very reaktor'y! I've got a verb I ripped out of some random patch I found on a realtor forum that sounds very similar, and I've been using it on nearly everything for years ... wonder if it was yours :-)

@binimiroad, thanks! I didn't realize you could override default maximums on the ADSR knobs! Wow! But anyhow, I think I may have been misunderstood. What I'm looking for is the ability to parameterize the coordinates of the points on the spline.

So for instance in my custom ADSR, the ability to modulate the attack ...
  • @plurgid - you mean when you create a spline point, it creates a 2 inputs (x,y) to modulate it? @macromachines did something that scans the spline and turns it into x number of sample & hold points that you can use for a graphic eq, so you can make an EQ that's easier to program rather than having 20+ knobs to deal with.
  • Very nice reverb! Excellent work.
  • Thank you stschoen! I use it quite a bit in my own music.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!