Lock Screen for Performance mode
  • Here's my top request: Using Audulus in a live performance setting and sometimes even in studio, it's a bit of a pain to keep having to put modules back where you want them because they moved when you tried to tweak a knob or run a patch cord. How about the ability to "lock" a modular configuration on screen so that you can still patch and tweak, but the modules themselves will not move around when trying to make adjustments or create new patches.
  • @Bozotoo, try the lock icon in the toolbar :)
  • The lock icon locks the whole patch including the knobs and patch cords thereby eliminating the possibility of actually making any changes to a patch while performing with it.

What I am talking about is something that will lock the modules in place, but leave the knobs and patch cords open for manipulation.

I am no programmer, but it seems like that would be among the simpler challenges and would make Audulus a true performance instrument.
  • @Bozotoo you can still turn knobs and activate trigger nodes when Audulus is locked.
  • Thanks. That did not appear to work but I see now that you have to zoom in real close to be able to make adjustments. The problem is, the lock screen will not let you zoom in or out. So performing with Audulus requires one to give up either a broader view of the patch in order to be able to tweak without accidentally moving modules OR get the broader view but deal with modules sliding around the screen while performing with it.

It would be great to get BOTH a broader view AND still be able to tweak the modules without risk of displacing them.
  • @bozotoo - there's a requirement for iOS for a minimum size for something to be interactable, and it's much larger than you'd think (basically the size of most capacitive pens). Many people, including myself, wish it could be smaller, but this one's on Apple's rules.
  • @Bozotoo yes you've discovered the conundrum of lock mode with Audulus on iOS. While I know the finger size is an issue with all iOS devices and apps, it'd definitely be nice to have a lock mode where you can set which elements can move but still be able to zoom in and out and maneuver around the patch without worrying about moving nodes or disconnecting cables.

One of the solutions I've used is to MIDI learn knobs or buttons. The difficulty of this solution is not being able to enter control numbers so I have to use a special setup with Lemur just to set the CC and notes I want with MIDI learn. This involves an inordinate amount of switching back and forth between Lemur and Audulus for each controller assignment. Then I can use my MIDI sequencing apps and controllers to run Audulus patches.

Another strategy I've used is to design patches in such a way that the Audulus control GUI can be compact enough to fit on the screen when it's zoomed in enough to turn knobs and push buttons.

The final strategy is to design a MIDI controller GUI using an app like TB MIDI Stuff and map the controls it sends out to the Audulus patch. This method loses the visual feedback I get from Audulus as it's running unless I use one device for the controller and another for the patch using Bluetooth MIDI to send MIDI between the two devices. This solution can work quite well when I use an Audulus patch as an effect and use the TB MIDI controller setup to control both Audulus and the app generating the sound I'm effecting with the Audulus patch.
  • Yes I too have considered those options. But none of them are workable for me in a live performance setting. I want to be able to have a direct, interactive way to work the instrument. I have some hardware midi controllers and I think that is now the best option. But there's that problem of abstracting the effects of a generic midi interface onto the synthesizer one designs with Audulus. Also we cannot re-route patch cords using a midi controller. I guess we can only hope for a giant iPad to appear some day. One on the order of a 40" flat screen TV would be nice ...a little difficult to lug onto a plane as a carry-on. But it would do the trick!
  • @Bozotoo - you can certainly reroute patch cords using a MIDI controller - you'd just use a Mux or Demux and assign a MIDI control to the set value.

However, there is a feature that's coming that will let you scroll through "presets" that can include different patching configurations.

That said, many people are asking for a kind of multimode locking system that has a few options, so perhaps this will make it onto Taylor's to-do list.
  • What about on the Mac. Can the Mac version lock the screen in the same way that the iPad version does?
  • Been hoping for this type of performance lock mode too. Had a post a while back about it.
    One that adds panning and zoom ability to and takes away module/node selection ability from current lock mode.
  • Yes, panning and zoom! Good idea! I am not a programmer, but it seems to me that this would not be a major challenge. I could be wrong, but I bet Audulus has something like "layers" in the UI that can be locked separately. Audulus is wonderful - a dream come true for those of us who want to build our own synthesizers but do not have trainloads of $100 bills laying around. The one and ONLY problem I see with it, is that we cannot build an instrument (or instruments) that we can actually USE like a real modular synthesizer. The screen is just too slippery - stuff moves around too easily for performance-level interaction.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!