How to Use Nodes: The Timer Node: Pulse Looper Module Tutorial
  • At first blush, the Timer node might seem like a pretty boring node. It counts up in seconds until it's reset, and then it just keeps counting up again. So what?

This module will change your mind.

Extensive node-by-node documentation in this patch. It's a complex one, but I leave no node unspoken. If you follow the explanations in a general way from left to right, you'll understand how this module works.

Pulse Looper Module Tutorial.audulus
    Pulse Looper Module Tutorial.png
    1920 x 1080 - 293K
    Pulse Looper Module Tutorial Inside.png
    1920 x 1080 - 731K
    Pulse Looper Module Tutorial Inside Detail 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 690K
    Pulse Looper Module Tutorial Inside Detail 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 850K
    Pulse Looper Module Tutorial Inside Detail 3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 818K
    Pulse Looper Module Tutorial Inside Detail 4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 738K
  • Looks cool. Can learn a lot from comments. I know it's educational 100%, but I guess you can also do a looper for the drums by using 100% wet feedback with the delay node. Just specify the delay in seconds and may use a clipper or tanh with the output.

I find the clock sometimes fails on me (stops looping) not sure what I do wrong. Here's a very dirty patch using delay...could have used secs instead, but I was aiming to have sounds every four beats. To erase you need to oress and Hold erase...not sure how to reset a Delay...
    New Patch 1 Copy.audulus
  • I guess one could also turn a delay loop into an infinite size demux using a clock to read "values", or a kind of general purpose sampler too, with same logic.
  • @fferreres - Thanks for sharing that!

This is a tutorial I made to show people how to use the timer node in interesting ways. The advantage of this method is that it uses less resources than a delay does, you can chain them together, and you can have arbitrarily long loops. You could have a century-long loop if you wanted.

Also, you can change the loop length time while keeping the samples in the same position, whereas changing the delay time shrinks and expands the time in between each sample. Shrinking and expanding the loop using a delay node will also introduce noise into the delay line, resulting in random little extra beats added.

Furthermore, you can start a loop on the master module, add a loop to a synced module, and then clear out the master module while the synced module still keeps playing. The reset scheme just works differently and is instantaneous instead of needing a moment to clear out.

The thing you're describing can be done with the Touch Feedback Clock module - if you look inside it in the attached patch, you'll see the reset scheme that I used for it. The idea behind the TFC was to make something that could get a complex rhythm going very quickly without needing a bunch of controls.

@Macromachines has made the "delay sampler" thing that you're talking about - he's fine tuning it but will upload a patch with it at some point.

Also, at some point the Demux/Mux will have arbitrary I/Os, so we won't just be limited to 8! Excited for that.

Thanks for checking out the patch, and glad it got your gears turning as well! :)
    Touch Feedback Clock Looper.audulus
  • Yeah exactly, very enlightening patches and ideas. Also thanks for discussing the pros, etc. this few little nodes allow so much flexibility and I've learned a great deal through looking at your nodes. The fact you annotate the nodes is just invaluable.

This is like minecraft for sounds, but much better! I will look at the other patch. Sometimes we build or reinvent the wheel in worst ways, as we try to learn the craft but especially, think a concept then see if I can do it. Eye openers from the last patches for me:

Delta module (clever)
    Using tanh()
    How to avoid some Feedback to not halt
    The self resetting clock
    Uses for rounding the clock
    Tips to avoid Unit sample mode (eg. >=)
    The DCDBlocker: so simple, so amazing
    The DCBlocker, can't repeat enough
    True/false for a knob having a value + CF
    Using TRUE/FALSE*x expressions (as it turns to 0/1
    Reset modules

That just from this patch. I just love the work you are doing

Doesn't mean I will stop posting awful patches that do similar things much worst...that's a way to learn things! I had particular trouble picture you entire patch together, I understand each part and the whole but I get lost in detail (I'd not be able to reproduce it if asked to). Some other patches I could hold it all in my mind and redo entirely (the Drum 11 Dimensions is an example)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!